SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As was reported on this forum a few weeks ago, the Myer Melbourne Food Hall is closing on September 15, 2007 for good.

So I decided to call in today and get some snaps of the place whilst I can. It was much quieter than normal today and the range of foods is slowly diminishing in preparation for the pending closure.

Furthermore, it seemed the Myer staff had no problem with me taking photos in there which is typically not the case. Because of the low light, I had to shoot these at ISO 400. Taking a tripod in there would have been pushing my luck, I am sure!

Anyway, here they are posted for posterity. Enjoy!

Cheers,
The Olderfleet

The central section of the Myer Food Hall. Good timing, I managed to shoot it with no shoppers

The "cake walk" - this space is usually crowed with people as it is a major Myer thoroughfare

The Cookie Man biscuit shop

The fresh hot meals department

And finally the lolly department - yum!

This is the only historic shot I can find of the place:

Food Hall c.1983, courtesy of the National Library of Australia

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
I remember seeing the food hall when I first visited in Melbourne and could not believe that Myer had a food hall. Only David Jones have food halls in Sydney.

Grace Bros (before their rebranding as Myer in NSW) used to have supermarkets in a number of their stores including Broadway (now a shopping centre) and Roselands.

Good shots. I'm impressed with the layout and wasy to move around. I find navigating the David Jones Food hall to be difficult in the Market St store in Sydney.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yeah looks a lot like the David Jones food hall, though DJ's looks a bit nicer and bigger.

Sad to see the Myer Hall go, the range of fresh gourmet food in the DJ's hall is a great spot for lunch so I'm sure this will be a loss for Melbournians.

·
Registered Abuser
2,873 Posts
Thanks TO I was thinking of doing something similar before it closed - you beat me to it. I remember eating there when on trips to Melbourne with my folks as a youngster. Our city will be a lesser place without it.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
The ones with take away food outlets are food courts. The DJ's foodhalls are fairly popular with shoppers at DJ's.

DJ's food halls tend to be more upmarket than normal supermarkets and food halls in shopping centres.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts