Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While we can't physically travel to all our cities in this pre-Christmas time, we can at least share the pics of N&B cities in Christmas decorations and thus virtually make a Christmas trip around our region. Post either yours or good found pics.

Here some mine photos from Riga city:

1. Here you see Townhall square where traditionally one of city's main trees is installed. This is a very important place because exactly 500 years ago the first Christmas tree in the world was set up here. So, yes, Riga is the birthplace of this Christmas tree decoration tradition which is beloved in all Christian world. Don't believe me? :) Then check out the official page of American Christmas Tree Association: http://www.christmastreeassociation.org/Article Pages/christmas_tree_500th_birthday

Estonians will maybe want to start to scream something about Grinch now. ;) But the reality is, the historical truth isn't precisely known and that's why the birthplace of Christmas tree is in that city which will announce it most louder. :)

2. And this is Riga's Dom Cathedral square where a Christmas market is placed. It may look not so lively in this pic, but in the pre-Christmas days it becomes quite a bustling place. Maybe I will manage to get new pics from there in coming days.

3.Of course, one of Christmas trees also here. And a small, stylish kiosk where one can buy mulled wine or hot blackcurrant drink (as I also did as I was frozen very much that evening). And to the left you see Santa Claus sitting on the chair - he was a real (I mean, real man)! How did the hell did he survived the coldness just sitting there hours?? I guess, maybe some electric warmer was connected to his chair?

4. A bit farther there on stage - Latvian folk collective "Suiti Women". It's always pleasure to see these vigorous, humorous, mostly old ladies from Suiti region in Western Latvia.

5. As I said that evening was cold and the public was smaller than the artists collective on stage :). At the moment, Suiti womens asked to squat in their singing rythm, and here you see spectatresses doing that.

7. From cosy Old Town to more urban scene - this is the traffic junction at Riga Central station building which has got it's own Christmas decorations...

8. Like this "tree" on the Clock Tower. With the number 500. You already know what it means.

9. Laima Clock tower, Freedom monument behind it and in the background Radisson Latvia hotel.

10. From the other side. Building to the left is another hotel, with chic restaurant (I suppose, although have never been up there) on 7th floor

12. Snowmans and light decorations in Bastejkalna park.

13. Here at Hotel De Rome is another Christmas tree placed.

14. Almost like a big Christmas decoration there stands ferris wheel in Livu square since a couple of weeks ago. Because most people is rather terrified than tempted by the possibilty to take a ride with ferris wheel in current temperatures (around minus 10 in daytime).

16. Another Christmas market is here

20. At the opera building

21. Stockmann with it's Christmas tree

22. Riga Circus building

23. Shopping centre Galleria Riga

24. Something different - Riga models of gingerbread in Galleria Riga

·
Registered
990 Posts
Here in Stockholm we all rely on Kinnevik and their huge christmas tree outside their office building on skeppsbron since 1996.

Kinnevik office

And of course we also rely on NK and their window decoration, but unfortunately I havn't been out taking pictures.

·
9,079 Posts
This is a very important place because exactly 500 years ago the first Christmas tree in the world was set up here. So, yes, Riga is the birthplace of this Christmas tree decoration tradition which is beloved in all Christian world. Don't believe me? :) Then check out the official page of American Christmas Tree Association: http://www.christmastreeassociation.org/Article Pages/christmas_tree_500th_birthday

Estonians will maybe want to start to scream something about Grinch now. ;) But the reality is, the historical truth isn't precisely known and that's why the birthplace of Christmas tree is in that city which will announce it most louder. :)
:tongue: Pffff,Americans! It doesn't show anything...those same ppl believe that Santa Claus is from North Pole or atleast from Canada. Every 'educated' people knows that Santa is from Finland and first Christmas tree was first put up in Estonia. Fenno-Ugric Christmas traditions strong!!!1111 :D

Nice pics,by the way. I'm slightly envious of your better camera. My x-mas photos from Tallinn suck badly,so I'm not going to post them here (I might otherwise ruin this thread with them)

EDIT: Ho ho ho,and merry Christmas to y'all!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice pics,by the way. I'm slightly envious of your better camera. My x-mas photos from Tallinn suck badly,so I'm not going to post them here (I might otherwise ruin this thread with them)
It means we won't see Santa Tin performance? That's too bad :(

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Every 'educated' people knows that Santa is from Finland and first Christmas tree was first put up in Estonia.
Even more "educated" people knows that Santa is a fiction character which Finns invented out of the blue, but the first Christmas tree origins isn't exactly clear - it can be Estonia, Latvia, Germany or maybe some other country.

·
9,079 Posts
It means we won't see Santa Tin performance? That's too bad :(
Santa Tin is currently editing his photos,which he will later post in his own thread. I'm too polite to ruin other people's threads with them (I really wish I'd have a better camera :()
Even more "educated" people knows that Santa is a fiction character which Finns invented out of the blue, but the first Christmas tree origins isn't exactly clear - it can be Estonia, Latvia, Germany or maybe some other country.
We have perfect material for Hollywood movie here. Estonians & Latvians should join forces and capitalize on this: *In cinemas close to you,this Christmas...it's 'The story of first Christmas tree: Tallinn vs. Riga' An epic battle fought over birthrights of first Christmas tree..Who had it first? Estonians? Latvians? ...find it out now! Also available in 3D & with spruce-tree scent!* :lol:

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We have perfect material for Hollywood movie here. Estonians & Latvians should join forces and capitalize on this: *In cinemas close to you,this Christmas...it's 'The story of first Christmas tree: Tallinn vs. Riga' An epic battle fought over birthrights of first Christmas tree..Who had it first? Estonians? Latvians? ...find it out now! Also available in 3D & with spruce-tree scent!* :lol:
Great idea! :lol:
But seriously, with such "fight" we could advertise both Riga and Tallinn as the home of Christmas tree, and the tourists would flow to both cities! We should make it more and more louder and scandalous. Riga and Tallinn tourism offices should work together on this!

·
***H***
4,553 Posts
Anyway, very beautiful photos of both Riga and Stockholm (especially the second one).
Would be nice to see Vilnius / Kaunas too.

·
Registered
25,573 Posts
As Stockholm has already been presented, it is about time to show Gothenburg in Christmas colors. :cheers:
Like in any other larger European city the Christmas market in the city center is one of the major places to feel the festival spirit. The second largest city in Sweden usually has two large Christmas markets and one of them is located in Avenyn (The Avenue), where some of the main Christmas concerts take place.

Avenyn in Christmas lights:

(c) Image hosted on flickr

Another place to get inspired for celebrations or just spend the time well in Gothenburg is the amusement park 'Liseberg'. Being the largest park of this type in the region, after a busy summer, it converts into a cozy and a bit mysterious winter town with the market and many spaces, like 'Liseberg' theatre or ice rink, giving an opportuinity for people tyo enjy their winter hollydays.

A cummuter train station at 'Liseberg' - one of the entrances to the park

An ice-rink with the 'Gothia towers' in the background

Merry and cozy Christmas to everyone! :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts