SkyscraperCity banner

5821 - 5840 of 6036 Posts

·
50,112 Posts
Rogfast

The tender for a tunnel contract of the Rogfast megaproject was canceled in September, after the only qualified bidder was 1 billion NOK over budget. This is the central Kvitsøy contract, which includes about a third of the Boknafjord Tunnel length, plus the connection to Kvitsøy.

According to Bygg.no, the project has now been delayed from 2026 to 2029: Rogfast tidligst ferdig i 2029

It makes you wonder if it is useful to scrap the Kvitsøy link from the project. That way you can save a lot of money. There are only like 400-500 inhabitants on Kvitsøy.

I wonder if it would be possible to construct only the exit ramp stubs and then build the tunnel to Kvitsøy at a later stage without interrupting traffic in the Boknafjord Tunnel. The Kvitsøy link tunnel is planned to be 4 kilometers long.

·
Registered
995 Posts
^^ There are a lot of rocks that have to be transported out from the tunnel and deposited somewhere, and Kvitsøy is a convenient place in the middle. Without it both the construction time and cost would have been affected. Also, the tunnel would be a safety measure. Hence it is not only about those few hundred people. However, it can be questioned whether the Kvitsøy link should be a full standard tunnel w/ ramps or just made to a standard suitabe for the construction phase now and as an emergency tunnel later.

·
The Road and Map Geek
2,500 Posts
54°26′S 3°24′E;163999152 said:
^^ There are a lot of rocks that have to be transported out from the tunnel and deposited somewhere, and Kvitsøy is a convenient place in the middle. Without it both the construction time and cost would have been affected. Also, the tunnel would be a safety measure. Hence it is not only about those few hundred people. However, it can be questioned whether the Kvitsøy link should be a full standard tunnel w/ ramps or just made to a standard suitabe for the construction phase now and as an emergency tunnel later.
The mid section of the main tunnel will be drilled starting from Kvitsøy. Thus, the tunnel is for both input and output, and it is on the critical path. The cost of the interchange most probably is a pretty minimal fraction of the total cost.

Kvitsøy is to receive about one third of the excess rock masses, about 2.2 million cubic meters. That is quite many truck loads, and an adequate road will be needed.

·
50,112 Posts
The original schedule had included three tunnel boring segments: north, central and south. But now that the start of the central part is significantly delayed, won't it be possible to just continue from the north and south contracts? Much like conventional tunneling.

·
The Road and Map Geek
2,500 Posts
The original schedule had included three tunnel boring segments: north, central and south. But now that the start of the central part is significantly delayed, won't it be possible to just continue from the north and south contracts? Much like conventional tunneling.
Of course, but that would increase the boring time substantially. And the aircon system still needs to be set up in Kvitsøy. The Kvitsøy tunnel length is less than 4 % of the total length of the tunnels. I am pretty suspicious on getting any cost savings from dropping it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
We had an issue with the new E 39 around Mandal, the council wanted to change a wild life underpass to an overpass, and this could not be done without adjusting the contract, i.e. causing delays. The more these contracts need to be adjusted, the more delay, this minor change could have caused a six month delay because of the tight scheduling regarding surfacing work and the winter season.

I would assume extending the north and south part of the Rogfast contracts would cause a significant delay as those contracts would basically need to be re-negotiated.

However, going ahead with the other two contracts on the assumption that the third will be resolved could be a possibility.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts

·
The Road and Map Geek
2,500 Posts
Rv40 in 1940

The Finnish magazine Suomen Kuvalehti contains an article about the Riksvei 50 in the issue 40 in 1940. There are numerous photos, but some of them are with any location reference.

Five of them:

Between Hammerfest and Karasjok

Hammerfest

Dovre

·
Scandi-friendly
7,718 Posts
The Finnish magazine Suomen Kuvalehti contains an article about the Riksvei 50 in the issue 40 in 1940. There are numerous photos, but some of them are with any location reference.

Hammerfest
Not many buildings survived the war in Hammerfest :(

·
Registered
175 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
54°26′S 3°24′E;164479568 said:
Perhaps due to lower AADT on A-T? For future projects, narrow shoulders on motorways are no longer within the Norwegian highway norms, btw, and require an excemption: https://www.vegvesen.no/_attachment/61414/binary/1329184?fast_title=Håndbok+N100+Veg-+og+gateutforming+(6+MB).pdf .
I don`t find that the case, as Arendal-Tvedestrand has an higher AADT than Rugtvedt-Dørdal. All parts of the old road between Arendal-Tvedestrand had more than 12000 already, while only the northernmost part of Rugtvedt-Dørdal (which carries a lot of local traffic) has more than 12000 today. The rest is ranging from ca. 10000-12000, so I don`t really see why that section should reach 20000 sooner than Arendal-Tvedestrand. Both roads should have been projected and buildt after the 2013-edition of the N100.

Regarding the narrow shoulders, it might be back soon, or at least in some situations: https://www.vegvesen.no/_attachment/2846578/binary/1349409?fast_title=Utredning+smal+firefelt+ved+ÅDT+6000-20000.pdf (page 19-20).

Anyway, E18 between Oslo and Kristiansand will be of quite high throughout standard (by Norwegian means) when the section in Bamble opens next week. Only 10 km between Akland and Tvedestrand will be left as a two lane road without either motorway or expressway (two-three lanes). And that section is`nt the worst one either, with the exception of two low shorter tunnels. The last few kilometers into Kristiansand does`nt have motorway standard, but is and ok grade-separated four lane road :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
A video from the soon to be opened (december 2nd) new E18 through Bamble:

[...]

I wonder why this road seems to mostly have wide shoulders (except for on bridges), in compared to Arendal-Tvedestrand which opened in july and has narrow (1,5m). "Funny" sight widenings on some of the bridges also.
Mid-planning they (politicians) changed the profile to wide shoulders but at this time the bridges' design had already been finalized, widening them would require a new design (re-calculating the whole structure etc.).
I couldn't find a source right now but if you sift through the papers it's there somewhere.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
A video from the soon to be opened (december 2nd) new E18 through Bamble:
]

I wonder why this road seems to mostly have wide shoulders (except for on bridges), in compared to Arendal-Tvedestrand which opened in july and has narrow (1,5m). "Funny" sight widenings on some of the bridges also.
Odd that it only has lighting on one side as well, and I'm not sure why a rural motorway needs lighting anyway?

·
50,112 Posts
Mid-planning they (politicians) changed the profile to wide shoulders but at this time the bridges' design had already been finalized, widening them would require a new design (re-calculating the whole structure etc.).
Norwegian motorways do seem to have inconsistent design standards. That's not really a problem with low traffic volumes, but you'll notice it on busier motorways / times.

Last year I drove on E6 along Mjøsa, traffic was fairly busy and you could notice that the geometry isn't as good as France, Germany or the Netherlands. The lanes seem a bit narrow, the inside and outside shoulders are narrow and the horizontal and vertical alignment appears to have lower standards. It didn't feel as comfortable to drive 110 as you would in other countries.

Also, what kind of crash barrier standards do they have along Norwegian motorways? E6 along Mjøsa has a weird kind of crash barrier that looks more like a gate than an actual crash barrier that is capable of retaining vehicles or prevent them from tipping over.

5821 - 5840 of 6036 Posts