SkyscraperCity banner

961 - 980 of 6356 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
E6, den strakaste vegen ?

The Norwegian online newspaper nettavisen.no has had several articles about the sorry state of our roads lately, this is some pictures from an article in October. This bridge is on the E6, which is supposed to be one of the most important highways of Norway, just 65 km south of Trondheim, close to a tiny village called Soknedalen (which the E6 of course goes straight through rather than around....)

MAP

Sharp bend just north of the bridge:

There are plans for a bypass around Soknedalen of some (mediocre) sort, but only God knows when that materializes. Let's just hope the bridge does not fall into the river first....

·
7,681 Posts
This bridge reminds me this one in Italy (on the left, for the road). It collapsed in April 2009.

·
12,320 Posts
^^ ok, the first messages was faaar more dramatic than what it really was, we're just talking about small rocks, things that fall down on Riksveier everyday without anyone barely noticing it. Rouad should be opened soon i guess, since these rocks barely hit the road...

·
Registered
178 Posts
E16 in winter:

Although it's the safest route from east to west during winter, E16 from Valdres to Lærdal is shit when it's snow, especially the climbing sections on both sides of the Filefjell pass. Almost got a semi that was out of control in the front there last winter. Hopefully these sections will be rebuilt before 2020 as planned, but I would'nt put my money on it.

I really don't envy those trying to get over Filefjell today (Or any other mountain pass)... The heaviest snow in eastern Norway so far this winter has fallen this night, and it's still snowing very dense.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thx all!

Ingenioren can u tell me, because i cant understand texts on links that you posted, what happens with names of this Rv roads that became Stameveg, what are their new designations?

Does anyone know about National Road DataBase (NRDB)? Is that data public? Can i download it?

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
I guess the names will remain the same, the roads now classified as countyroads will also keep their numbers. It's more a question of whos responsibility it is to maintain and develop those roads. I do wonder if there will be green numbers on these eventually too... Hmmm :)

Don't think you can access the roadbank yet:
http://www.vegvesen.no/***/Teknologi/Nasjonal+vegdatabank/In+English

·
Registered
140 Posts
Don't want to sound negative but Norway's road network is really catastrophic compared to other "rich" countries. Even rural areas in Sweden (much poorer country) usually have better roads than Norway's best roads (around Oslo).

I grew up around what seems like third world roads (well, almost) in Sunnmøre, the scenery can make up for it sometimes though. :)

When Norwegians go to Sweden they are often impressed by the road standards (OK by European standards), speed limits (up to 110 km/h, I believe), alcohol prices (2x Denmark's) and other things. They think that Sweden is a quite liberal country but in reality it's Norway which is extremely anti-liberal.

But that's OT. :)

961 - 980 of 6356 Posts