Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was an ad in the Star for Phase Two of N. Looks like these suites are going to be 2-storey 'Skylofts'. 16" ceilings and windows! I've never seen this done before in a high-rise. Normally lofts are always on the lower floors or smaller buildings.

These start on the 27th? to the 42nd floor. VERY Cool! I would love to be on the 40th floor with 16 foot windows :eek: Makes me overlook the rather boring exterior.

^BTW, the glass won't be two-toned like that. It was done to show the two phases of the project.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
edit

·
Banned
88 Posts
Has anyone else noticed, once you enter cityplace.ca, the image depicted immediately of the entire finished project is so innacurate. They just threw tall buildings and placed them anywhere and everywhere. The next tallest building after signature is hveII which has just completed.
how hard could it have been to have added a couple more floors and have a couple 600fters. I'd expect signature to be no taller then 640'..................very disappointing in terms of height. and very bad job on the behalf of cityplace in illustrating the correct form and height of its buildings.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
"I'd expect signature to be no taller then 640'..................very disappointing in terms of height."

Signature is already designed...and it's 714 feet. Unless they plan to decrease the size, which I hope the city does not make them do...I hope they actually increase it. Since it needs to stand out from the crowd and be noticeable as the "signature" of the whole development...the crowning glory so to speak...it needs to be noticeably taller than the rest. And since the towers at Cityplace have been increased in height since the development started, they need to be sure that the current design will stay that way...if they decide to make one of the next towers taller than origionally planned (like into the 50+ storey range), the Signature has to increase as well to keep it's stature.

I'm guessing the next phase directly north of N1, N2 (directly across Spadina from where Signature will go) will actually be the tallest to date...definetely into the 50's I'm guessing...which makes sense, as it's in the centre of the development, and where the tallest buildings should go.

KGB

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I too think Sig will be 700' minimum and maybe suprise everyone and jumpt to 800'.

Concord has blown a wonderful marketing opportunity by leaving the east side unfinished.

With 500 footers raining down on Toronto, and ego building becoming the norm (Harry, doubt it, Donald, count on it, Ritz, count on it), Sig has lost its angle... and if I lived in Cityplace I would damn pissed that they are going to dig the east side up again for 3 years to build it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
KGB - I can't confirm this, but I had heard the next block for cityplace would include a 16s midrise above a large grocery store and a tower of either 43 or 46 stories (I can't remember which number) - although these things are always in flux until the project is rolled out and can still change after that of course (HVE3 Building D grew from 30s to 36s).

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The tower planned for the NW corner of Spadina/Bremner will be 48 stories. There's a sign on the hoarding.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I agree that they should have finished the east side of Spadina before moving to the west side - that said - I'm glad they didn't build Signature as previously designed, because the podium did not wrap around the entire base. Hoepfully with the redesign, it'll come to the lot line all around and the parkette will be moved to the roof of the podium. This will definitely delay the maturation of the neighbourhood.

One possible way of mitigating it is to phase Signature - build the podium now and then build the tower later, but I doubt they'd do that, as disruption was cited as a reason why a social housing tower at one of their complexes is Vancouver was not phased-in at a later date once social housing funding became available (Concord paid cash in lieu of providing the social housing and the tower became market condos).

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
That is sensible beyond B-LEAF. It won't happen.

However, when you start your development company I will invest.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Signature is nothing more than a giant ***** and needs to be redone!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts