SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, perhaps I'll be eating crow later, but one New Orleans station has already called the race. Not looking good for Mitch Landrieu. Statistically, it's almost impossible for him to win, even with the current numbers... due to the racial makeup of the outstanding precincts, and that Nagin went from 5% of the white vote in the primary to around 21% right now in the runoff. Fox8 already called it for Nagin. I guess you could call him the comeback kid.

I'm dissapointed, but it is what it is.

EDIT: Nagin carries absentee votes as well. Turn out the lights.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I don't know the issues or anything like that, but I do like his style and no holds barred "shoot from the hip" mentality.

Of course politicians have a tendency of looking better from farther away - case in point George Pataki - so that's all I'll say.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He'll do fine. He said some things he shouldn't have, but I can forgive him. Oddly enough, without the hurricane problem, he really was a good mayor... and most importantly... not corrupt. This guy is squeaky clean. Landrieu's downfall was the support he got from so many old N.O. politicians who have proven themselves scumbags... Eddie Jordan, Sidney Bartholemy, Marc Morial, Troy Carter, and the like.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Landrieu was going to bring back the housing projects. Nagin won't. This is a good thing.

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
what about the people who lived in those housing projects? where are they supposed to go? nagin had billboards here in houston. don't know about the other guy.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jmancuso said:
what about the people who lived in those housing projects? where are they supposed to go? nagin had billboards here in houston. don't know about the other guy.
They'll be back, I'm sure. Those housing projects are slated to be replaced, not eliminated. They will be mixed-income, low density. And if we can fix the education system here, which I think we are doing, they'll come home to a city with more opportunities for them to succeed.

·
Oh Hey!
7,177 Posts
I wouldn't re-elect an mayor that left a city vurnerable to so much destruction and death.

·
Registered
247 Posts
NewPortRicheyGuy said:
I wouldn't re-elect an mayor that left a city vurnerable to so much destruction and death.
If you're talking about the city itself, Nagin isn't responsible for the destruction. He didn't build the levees, the Army Corps of Engineers and the Federal Government did. Directly after Katrina, the city was in very good shape, the levees breaking is what caused nearly all of the destruction you see.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
NewPortRicheyGuy said:
Come on now. I'm not going to get into a hierachy of what branch of government is responsible for what, but, let's wake up and smell the coffee. New Orleans is a part of the United States. There are things that the Federal Government takes care of on the mainland and one of those is levees. Even if Nagin or any mayor in this city, or any city in America, for that matter, attempted to make decisions concerning the grounds of the mainland, it would be shot down in court. The responsibility of things like levees lays on the Federal Government of the United States. In the end, they own it and have the last say so. This is just the way it is.....

·
Registered
754 Posts
Actually, in Louisiana, the State Levee Board is responable for maintaining every inch of levees across the state. They are partially funded by the federal government, but levee maintaince in Louisiana is ultimately their responsibility.

I hate to say this because my wife's uncle is on the Levee Board in Caddo Parish.

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
I am disappointed. If you can't trust Nagin to choose his words carefully on national tv, why would you think he could run a city succesfully especially cleaning up. I am sorry but I think he will do horribly.

·
MetroPlexer
654 Posts
I can vividly remember going to Mitch Landrieu's father's inauguration as a kid and being so energized and inspired about New Orleans future. The years that followed were a huge disappointment that ended in my eventual relocation to another city. Out of nostalgia, I suppose, personally I would have preferred Mitch.
But, I think Nagin will do a good job. In the end, the people who still live there have spoken and they prefer the Mayor. I hope they do seize upon this golden opportunity to completely remake the city into something even greater than it ever was, or even greater than what we dreamed it could be back 1970.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
CusK said:
Sucks for you N.O.
We'll worry about that...we are the ones that live here and aren't particularly concerned, so why should people be concerned that don't even live here? We also elected a beautiful city council.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
newyorkrunaway1 said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo................
I'm amazed at how many liberal Democrats are on this board...even Liberal Landrieu has followers on this board! Sorry about your disappointment, but, the wealthy Republicans came in at the last minute and gave their candidate, Ray Nagin, the edge to get over the hump and win.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I think Nagin is the right man for the job. Landrieu would continue the same crap of the past 30 years that was driving New Orleans to ruin. Nagin will turn that city around. Katrina or not, New Orleans was going to be destroyed if it had any more of Landrieu's ilk. Nagin will keep the welfare queens from running that town.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Geaux Tigers said:
Actually, in Louisiana, the State Levee Board is responable for maintaining every inch of levees across the state. They are partially funded by the federal government, but levee maintaince in Louisiana is ultimately their responsibility.
Geaux: There is no "state levee board." While the local levee districts may be responsible for maintaining certain aspects of the levees, it is the US government and the Corps that were responsible for the haphazard design of the levees along the lake. Had the Corps designed them like the Corps designed the Mississippi River levees, we wouldn't have had the problem we now face.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I am suprised some of you guys support Nagin. I didn't like what he said about the chocolate city thing, but he apologized after so I hold no grudge.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts