SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
39,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nairobi County, JICA in a deal to construct mass transit system
Standard Media
27 February 2015​
Nairobi City County Governor Dr Evans Kidero has said plans are underway to sign a deal with the Japanese government that will see Nairobi City adopt the Yurikamome Mass Transit Automated Guideway Train system.

“The train system is fully automated and transports about 170k passengers everyday and runs for 16 hours each day. I am happy to announce that my government and Japan International Corporation ( JICA) are at a very advanced stage of negotiations to commence construction of the Mass Transit System in Nairobi County through the Nairobi Metropolitan Transport Authority (NAMETA),” Says the Governor.

It is expected that the feasibility study for this project will be ready later this year and construction is expected to commence in February 2016. This will go a long way in easing traffic in Nairobi.

[continued in link]

·
Snowlion
444 Posts
Nairobi County, JICA in a deal to construct mass transit system
Standard Media
27 February 2015
^^

Wish it could happen. Hard to take any statement from present Nairobi Governor to the Bank.Too much talk and no action.It could simply be a distraction from new press reports on Nairobi Government including alleged corruption.:eek:hno::eek:hno:

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Glad to see Japan in the mix. However I wish it had come out of someone else's mouth. Kidero :eek:hno::eek:hno:

By the way is there a Nairobi Master plan in the works? If so who is doing it? I hope it is Japan. Nairobi is throwing so many ideas out there it scares. I hope someone can sit down and map all these before we start building these stuff

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
I will wait with a baited breath...

·
thenairobidude
3,728 Posts

·
"Structures don't lie" on
769 Posts
I have run out of fingers counting the no. of memorandum of understanding, negotiations, feasibility studies announced by the county government of Nairobi yet nothing happens

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
What happend to the proposal to establish a real commuter rail system with seperated tracks along the railway corridor? I thought the plan was to link JKIA up to this...

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
ah kidero.
i dont think i will ever take this guy serious.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Let Kidero and these useless governors not fool Kenyans. Projects of such magnitude CAN NEVER, I repeat, CAN NEVER be done by county Govts. CAN NEVER!

This can only be accomplished by the National Govt (which is already straining BTW) and the sooner Kidero cuts the crap the better for all of us!!!!

·
Registered
915 Posts
No county in this republic can undertake a project costing 5b and above. A wintry day in hell will happen first.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Didn't engineer Kamau talk about this? He said Nairobi will build a tramway... This system will be fully automated making it the first in East Africa and probably all of Africa.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
So is this county proposal in anyway connected with this report 5 days ago?

Plans to set up a body that will oversee the implementation of mass rapid transit system within the city and its surroundings is near complete. This is after Transport and Infrastructure Cabinet Secretary Michael Kamau appointed a steering committee for the establishment of the Nairobi Metropolitan Area Transport Authority. The eight-member team will be chaired by Transport Principal Secretary Nduva Muli who will work with representatives from five counties. The team includes Nduva's counterparts John Mosonik (Infrastructure), Marium El Maawy (Lands, Housing and Urban Development and County Executive Committee Members in-charge of Roads and Transport from Nairobi, Machakos, Kajiado, Kiambu and Murang'a. The CS said the appointment of the team follows discussion he held with the five governors last year, with the team now expected to take over any negotiations with investors who eye the transport sector. The steering committee has been given a one-year term from March 1, 2015, to oversee the development of an integrated transport strategy, based on evidence and transport planning best practice, for the Nairobi Metropolitan region including links between transport and land use planning concerning all modes. The team shall every three months, prepare and submit to the Cabinet Secretary reports of its progress; propose interim recommendations to for the Cabinet Secretary within six months of its appointment; and submit a final report and make final recommendations to the Cabinet Secretary within one year of its appointment. "It's after submitting their report that we will look at other aspects such as legal instructions and legislation for the establishment of Nairobi Metropolitan Area Transport Authority," Kamau said. The team will recommend on management, development and delivery of an integrated public transport system in the Metropolitan Region, including undertaking and co-ordinating all matters relating to mass rapid transit system. Last October, governors of Kajiado, Kiambu, Nairobi and Murang'a signed a Memorandum of Understanding to pave way for the formation of the authority. The authority is also set to recommend policies on pricing and investments, financing equipment and related traffic management systems. The World Bank and other development partners are helping Kenya to modernise its transport system.
Read more at: http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/thec...-to-modernize-nairobi-city-transport?pageNo=1

·
Super Moderator
13,912 Posts
^^ Interesting, looks like thats related to Kidero's announcement, the 1 year feasibility study mentioned in the first article looks similar to the 1 year mandate the steering committee mentioned in the above article ....... that raises my hopes a bit, since the national government is involved and its a multi county initiative

·
Super Moderator
13,912 Posts
Yurikamome | 新交通ゆりかもめ
Stations: 16
Opened: November 1, 1995
Owner: Toei
Operator: Tokyo Waterfront New Transit Corporation
Operating speed: 60 km/h
Line length: 14.7 km
(same distance between Forest Rd. and Kenyatta Uni)
(or the same distance between Museum Hill and Syokimau Station)

a few pics.......
Boy do I wish :eek:hno:......but its possible, with the right kind of focus we'll get there.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
^^

Wish it could happen. Hard to take any statement from present Nairobi Governor to the Bank.Too much talk and no action.It could simply be a distraction from new press reports on Nairobi Government including alleged corruption.:eek:hno::eek:hno:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: u just had to say it. :)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts