SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,872 Posts
I've done some bit of homework on this and looks like the capital costs for setting up an automated guideway transit system are lower than making conventional road.....operational and maintenance costs are also quite low....so this is DOABLE!

·
thenairobidude
3,727 Posts
I've done some bit of homework on this and looks like the capital costs for setting up an automated guideway transit system are lower than making conventional road.....operational and maintenance costs are also quite low....so this is DOABLE!
It actually is doable

but everyone else is so busy concentrating on how Kidero will fail.

we don't care about kidero, if the kenyan govt is backing the project it will happen.

·
Registered
915 Posts
It actually is doable

but everyone else is so busy concentrating on how Kidero will fail.

we don't care about kidero, if the kenyan govt is backing the project it will happen.
The project is very doable. The Addis Light Rail project took only KSh 43b. We can afford the same two times over. It is Kidero's statement above that is laughable. This can never be a county project, a county that can not even fix toilets and pay workers in time. Kidero negotiating with JICA :lol::lol::lol:

·
Super Moderator
13,872 Posts
The project is very doable. The Addis Light Rail project took only KSh 43b. We can afford the same two times over. It is Kidero's statement above that is laughable. This can never be a county project, a county that can not even fix toilets and pay workers in time. Kidero negotiating with JICA :lol::lol::lol:
He's a politician and wouldn't mind taking credit for anything positive happenning in Nairobi, remember the launch of Outering road a few weeks ago :lol:

But that's fine with me because I personally don't care about politics as long as its not a hindrance to development.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
This is very much doable but here is my question.

A Memorandum of Understanding was signed in October last year where five counties (Nairobi, Machakos, Kajiado, Kiambu and Murang’a) agreed to set up the Nairobi Metropolitan Transport Authority to oversee the mass rapid transit system.

If the above transist system falls under a committee that was named the just the other day by CS Kamau, How can one Governor go out on his own and announce a deal is imminent?

"The eight-member team will be chaired by Transport Principal Secretary Nduva Muli who will work with representatives from five counties.
The team includes Nduva's counterparts John Mosonik (Infrastructure), Marium El Maawy (Lands, Housing and Urban Development and County Executive Committee Members in-charge of Roads and Transport from Nairobi, Machakos, Kajiado, Kiambu and Murang'a."
I would have expected the announcement to come from this team and not Kidero. So I beleieve the conclusion above that he is just being a politician is correct. We will probably hear the real announcement in future.

But the fact that the project "seems" to have backing from central government gives me more hope now......

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
This announcement may look like something new out of the blue but its not. And it is not a suprise that Gov. Kidero announces it. The mass rapid transit systems will be managed by county government though the development of the system will be done by National Government with help from various development partners (WB, AfDB, EUDB, JICA etc)

In my previous posting in JKIA-RIRONI about the WB report, it mentioned the NAMETA body that pending to be established that will be overseeing the Nairobi Mass Rapit Transit project (Consisting of BRT, light rails, commuter rails etc). It also mentioned that county governments will be managing this mass transit systems. So you should expect Kidero to have intimate details of progress of this plans.

So if the government has identified a solution and JICA is willing to assist both tehnical know how and financially, we should be happy and optimistic since it means the plans are beginning to crystallise.

·
Registered
333 Posts
This is more important than the BRT systems. Kidero needs to be pragmatic. All they need is less than 150 Kilometers of railway. SGR is 609 Km of rail. This project will impact more Kenyans than the LAPPSET project. Also subcontract at least 8 companies to build the stations. This could be operational very soon and will boost the image of Nairobi into a world class city

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
i will believe it when i see kenyatta and kamau sign documents with japan. until then i cant take anything kidero says seriously.

in my eyes kidero is more interested in the prestige of his job instead of service delivery. i really dont have much time for kidero or whatever BS he is spewing.

wake me up when kenyatta makes a trip to japan and the japanese make a trip to kenya.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
Kenyatta is in Japan. Hoping this project will be part of the negotiations.

I have arrived in Tokyo for my first official visit to Japan. My visit is aimed at boosting bilateral and trade relations between Kenya and Japan and also targets enhancing the existing technical and development cooperation between our two countries. I will hold talks Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, Emperor Akihito, as well as other high-ranking government officials. I will later join other Heads of State and Government for the 3rd UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction (WCDRR).

·
"Structures don't lie" on
767 Posts
Guys, does Kea have a nuclear football? :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Whats i that case that the aide de camp carries around?

I bet its the pipeline

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Guys, does Kea have a nuclear football? :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Whats i that case that the aide de camp carries around?

I bet its the pipeline
or olkaria V, second phase SGR or the road to south sudan..... for kidero's metro i think there are almost no hopes since not even a preliminary feasibility has been done so far.... How can Japan pledge money if they even don't know how much is needed...

·
Registered
13,458 Posts
Uhuru checking out the system which will be built in our city.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
those picture up there gave me lots of hopes.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts

I met with an American trade delegation led by US Secretary of Transportation Anthony Foxx, at State House, Nairobi, today. I invited companies from the U.S. to play a role in developing a rail system to ease the transport congestion in Nairobi. My Government wants to develop a mass transit system to ease the traffic congestion in Nairobi, which usually has devastating effects on the economy. I encouraged US companies to develop closer links with Kenya so that they can participate in mutually beneficial ventures. There are many opportunities for US investors in Kenya, which is the gateway to the regional market. Kenya should not be looked at as a single market because it is a gateway to wider Eastern Africa market. Kenya will play a role in encouraging other countries in the region to partner with investors with good deals.
So many "Nairobi Mass transit threads" wasn't sure where to post this. Looks like all options are on the table for Nairobi. Rail, BRT, flying monkeys..geez! Someone wake me up when we finally have a plan.. :booze:

·
Registered
43 Posts
They should stick to Japanese technology on the mass rapid transport. They manage Tokyo with its massive population and frequent earthquakes.
By the way, the U.S., UK, China and Korea have Japanese systems or modified versions running their crucial lines.
Don't make Kenya an experiment, use technology long tested and proved.

·
thenairobidude
3,727 Posts
They should stick to Japanese technology on the mass rapid transport. They manage Tokyo with its massive population and frequent earthquakes.
By the way, the U.S., UK, China and Korea have Japanese systems or modified versions running their crucial lines.
Don't make Kenya an experiment, use technology long tested and proved.
Korean technology isnt japanese it has been indigenously developed by Hyundai Rotem and its pretty good, anyone who has lived in Korea or at least visited Korea would know.

Subway in Seoul
Korea

Number of Stations: 627
Number of Lines: 18
Length Seoul: 331.5 km
Length Metro Area Seoul: 987.5 km (Counted in metro terms would make Seoul the longest subway system in the world (operational lines))
Daily Ridership: 9.8 million
Annual Ridership: 2.619 billion (3rd worldwide behind Beijing and Shanghai)
Other:
  • The system was rated as one of the world's best subway systems by CNN. It is notable for its cleanliness and ease of use along with advanced technology such as 4G LTE, WiFi, DMB, and WiBro accessible in all stations.
  • Most trains have digital TV screens, and all of them have air conditioning and climate controlled seats installed that are automatically heated in the winter.
  • All Seoul Metro stations feature the world's largest digital signage service. Seoul Subway is the world's only metro system to use full-color LCD screens at all stations to display real-time subway arrival times

21 - 40 of 59 Posts