SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Korean technology isnt japanese it has been indigenously developed by Hyundai Rotem and its pretty good, anyone who has lived in Korea or at least visited Korea would know. Subway in Seoul Korea Number of Stations: 627 Number of Lines: 18 Length Seoul: 331.5 km Length Metro Area Seoul: 987.5 km (Counted in metro terms would make Seoul the longest subway system in the world (operational lines)) Daily Ridership: 9.8 million Annual Ridership: 2.619 billion (3rd worldwide behind Beijing and Shanghai) Other: The system was rated as one of the world's best subway systems by CNN. I'm It is notable for its cleanliness and ease of use along with advanced technology such as 4G LTE, WiFi, DMB, and WiBro accessible in all stations. Most trains have digital TV screens, and all of them have air conditioning and climate controlled seats installed that are automatically heated in the winter. All Seoul Metro stations feature the world's largest digital signage service. Seoul Subway is the world's only metro system to use full-color LCD screens at all stations to display real-time subway arrival times
http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2012_03/pr0702.htmhttp://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2012_03/pr0702.htm

·
Registered
334 Posts
When SGR reaches Nairobi, there will be an opportunity to build a branching line to Mui. (that is what the Chinese are banking on) Why not Move the Lamu coal power plant to Mui, or Mombasa. Lamu is not safe to invest $2 billion project one attck can result to massive losses. With a large power plant in Mui (ie next to the coal source), this can support industries mashrooming in Athi River, the city metro.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
When SGR reaches Nairobi, there will be an opportunity to build a branching line to Mui. (that is what the Chinese are banking on) Why not Move the Lamu coal power plant to Mui, or Mombasa. Lamu is not safe to invest $2 billion project one attck can result to massive losses. With a large power plant in Mui (ie next to the coal source), this can support industries mashrooming in Athi River, the city metro.
They're building a coal plant in mui as well...a terrorist attack on a coal plant??with war planes maybe and i don't think AS have that capability

·
Registered
122 Posts

Meanwhile, Port-Harcourt, Nigeria Just Opened Their New Monorail System

Delivery of the trains from factory

This is fantastic,good to lead the way.Did you know Nigeria's Rivers State GDP is 21bn USD?Much bigger than many country economies in Africa and with a population of approximately 5 million people.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Besides the upgrade of roads, Nairobi is also toying with the idea of introducing light trains and building ropeways to enable fleets of large cars (gondolas) carrying 35 passengers each to move people high above the congested roads every few minutes at speeds of up to 30km per hour.

Trapos Africa, the consultancy firm behind the project which has been approved by City Hall, says up to 11,000 passengers can be moved this way every hour.

The firm plans to install a pilot network that would run from Embakasi, Donholm to Muthurwa before extending to mass transit areas of Jamuhuri, Kibera and Nyayo National Stadium.

READ: Sh58bn cable car plan to tackle Nairobi traffic jams

Under the master plan drafted by Trapos Africa, the project will be financed through a public-private partnership model with CfC Stanbic Bank as its lead financier. It, therefore, needs the approval of the Treasury to take-off.

The concept is already being used for commuter transport in Algeria, Bolivia, Venezuela, Colombia, Brazil and Ankara even though critics have warned that the system may not work in Kenya due to erratic electricity supply system.

The government also plans to implement a Sh400 billion railway and road master project linking the city to several satellite towns. The government has invited consultants to develop designs and financing models for two of the nine corridors that form the Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS).

The project covers 167 kilometres of new roads and rail transport. One of the two corridors to be implemented first is a 13-kilometre light railway line and tram that will run from Nairobi Railway Station (NRS) to Ruiru.

The project also entails constructing a 28-kilometre rapid bus transit system to be used exclusively by special buses, which will charge lower rates than passenger service vehicles. An eight-kilometre tram service connecting NRS and Dagoretti Corner makes up the second project.

Other rail services will later connect Nairobi to the satellite towns of Ruai, Kasarani, Westlands and Kayole.

At the same time, additional special bus tracks will be built from Airport Road junction to Machakos and another one to Kikuyu through Waiyaki Way.

Two more bus routes will terminate at Bomas and Ruaka towns through Lang’ata and Limuru roads respectively.
BusinessDailyAfrica

Looks like the upcoming years Nairobi is going to host some of the best infrastructure on the continent.

So the article states

- Nairobi Cable Car project is seeking approval from the treasury so it can begin implementation.

- Nairobi Lightrail with have two lines first implemented will be a 13-kilometre light railway line and tram that will run from Nairobi Railway Station (NRS) to Ruiru. ( Poor journalism where the writer couldn't decide to chose one so he decided to go with both tram and light rail.Trams are slower so obviously it will be light rail and hopefully the first autonomous trains in SSA.)

- The Second rail corridor will be an eight-kilometre tram service connecting NRS and Dagoretti Corner. Future rail services will later connect Nairobi to the satellite towns of Ruai, Kasarani, Westlands and Kayole.

- Finally The roads will be upgraded and a 28 Kilometer BRT corridor will also be constructed with additional special bus tracks will be built from Airport Road junction to Machakos and another one to Kikuyu through Waiyaki Way. Two more bus routes will terminate at Bomas and Ruaka towns through Lang’ata and Limuru roads respectively.

Okay i've read the Nairobi MRT Masterplan and in 2011 the government was going to build the first MRT on Thika Rd but shelved the plans because it wasn't an important area since the road was upgraded.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
When is the issue. Some of these ideas have been on the table from Michuki days. They should prioritize a line from mlolongo running parallel to mbsa road to town. Jam on mbsa road should be taken care of asap.Its the gateway to Kenya!!

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
When is the issue. Some of these ideas have been on the table from Michuki days. They should prioritize a line from mlolongo running parallel to mbsa road to town. Jam on mbsa road should be taken care of asap.Its the gateway to Kenya!!
I beg to differ, they should prioritize high population areas and Eastlands should take the cake.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I beg to differ, they should prioritize high population areas and Eastlands should take the cake.
Partially agree.But last time I was in Kenya, Mombasa road a was a big mess.I remember Matatus would take a detour to Jogoo road, coz as much as Eastlands is densely populated the jam wasn't as bad. Further,guys from Eastlands have always had an option to use the train. What I don't understand is why KR/Gok has concentrated too much on the Mlolongo CBD commuter train,and have not built new stations in Eastlands..or have they?Train to eastlando however seem to be overloaded,filthy and not frequent enough.Why they never improved this line is a BIG PUZZLE..or may be they did and I'm just misinformed. I believe if this train was available at least hourly(from 5am-9am; 4pm-10pm) and bi-hourly during the day;with modern stations and new clean wagons many guys would opt to use the train. It shouldn't cost a lot to make this line decent,just good will!!

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Partially agree.But last time I was in Kenya, Mombasa road a was a big mess.I remember Matatus would take a detour to Jogoo road, coz as much as Eastlands is densely populated the jam wasn't as bad. Further,guys from Eastlands have always had an option to use the train. What I don't understand is why KR/Gok has concentrated too much on the Mlolongo CBD commuter train,and have not built new stations in Eastlands..or have they?Train to eastlando however seem to be overloaded,filthy and not frequent enough.Why they never improved this line is a BIG PUZZLE..or may be they did and I'm just misinformed. I believe if this train was available at least hourly(from 5am-9am; 4pm-10pm) and bi-hourly during the day;with modern stations and new clean wagons many guys would opt to use the train. It shouldn't cost a lot to make this line decent,just good will!!
^^ @royco mchuzi, there you go thinking the governing authorities can employ basic reasoning.. or at least look into the future rather than "eat" resources or continue their empty politicking. Hopefully your idea gets some serious thoughts towards its implementation, but probably won't be till a new more competent governor is in place + KR gets its act together.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS) project

There will also be an eight-kilometre tram service connecting the Nairobi Railway Station and Dagoretti Corner and an additional rail service connecting Nairobi to Ruai, Kasarani, Westlands and Kayole.

It is expected that the entire project would drastically reduce traffic snarl-ups in the city as commuters, offered the choice of reliable, safe and clean public tranpsort, will be able to leave their cars at home.

However, the long-distance public vehicles will not be allowed into the city centre. And only a few matatus will be coming to the City Centre.

Already, the government has invited consultants to develop designs and financing models for two of the seven main corridors that form the MRTS.

The project will be implemented in two phases. The first phase is expected to give priority to the bus transit system network, which experts say is easier to create. The bus transit routes will then determine the rail system.
http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Sh400m-plan-to-ease-traffic-gets-green-light/-/1056/2826298/-/11jgyexz/-/index.html

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Hoping the upcoming system will be autonomous..... Funded by the Hungarian's constructed by the Japanese.

Reactions: SE9

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
The article was in bad blood. This are the journalist paid to create a certain perception and derail projects. Endless political bs. Now lets wait for the next article citing the central govt wants to take this away from county govt so that they can eat. Then another article comparing cost of BRT vs LRT and another to say Uhuru is about to kill jobs..matatu industry. Wait and see.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The article was in bad blood. This are the journalist paid to create a certain perception and derail projects. Endless political bs. Now lets wait for the next article citing the central govt wants to take this away from county govt so that they can eat. Then another article comparing cost of BRT vs LRT and another to say Uhuru is about to kill jobs..matatu industry. Wait and see.
Why just kill jobs? Kill the whole matatu industry! A good makanga is an unemployed makanga!

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Why just kill jobs? Kill the whole matatu industry! A good makanga is an unemployed makanga!
^^damn....tell us how you really feel :lol:

In all seriousness, I acknowledge that the matatu industry needs a serious kick in the ass in order to return to a professional and efficient industry. While I wouldn't mind seeing decisive and far reaching reforms, I would hesitate to say for it to be completely killed off. As a born and bred Nairobian, I can attest that the matatu was/is a big part of the youth culture. The music, designs etc are a source of pride for numerous neighborhoods, and i can't even count how many discussions and competitions we had about this during my youth (shout out to #15)

While this might sound juvenile, I think it would be a little shortsighted and high-handed to kill off an industry so uniquely associated with the culture of the largest cities of this country esp. Nairobi and Mombasa. I would suggest once the more notorious cartels/'conductors and drivers have been dealt with, newly trained personnel with some semblance of professionalism should be employed in their place. The fleet of matatus should be reduced, and the remaining ones, can serve as part of a hub and spoke system that would take passengers/visitors to and from the train stations to the locations not served by them. Hopefully the remaining matatus would have some form of uniqueness. Thus we can have the best of both worlds.....an efficient mass public transit + a fleet of wheeled vehicles (some of which are tricked out) to take the passengers to their final destination

41 - 59 of 59 Posts