SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nairobi’s notorious traffic jam could be eased in a Sh58 billion ($600 million) cable car investment plan that its promoters say could be operational in the next two years.

Trapos Africa, the consultants for the public-private partnership project, have come up with a master plan to ease movement in the city. The plan has already been approved by City Hall and is currently awaiting scrutiny by the Treasury.

Trapos Africa chairman Eustace Mwarania said they have prepared plans for a pilot project that would run from Embakasi, Donholm to Muthurwa – which will be an interchange point – before proceeding to Jamhuri, Kibera and Nyayo National Stadium.

“We want to free Nairobi from the usual traffic jams and this can only be achieved by embracing cable car technology,” said Dr Mwarania.

He said the transport network would be spread over several miles with fleets of large gondolas passing over Nairobi’s streets every few minutes, carrying up to 35 people each.

Cable cars produce no pollution, use aerial technology – rather than expensive ground infrastructure – and are propelled by steel cables.

The cables are strung between stations with supporting columns and are driven by motorised wheels that can reach speeds of 30 kilometres per hour.

They are mostly used in Western countries to ferry up to 11,000 passengers per hour moving in both directions – an equivalent of what 200 buses with 65 seats each, 700 14-seater matatus or 2,000 saloon cars can carry.

Dr Mwarania said they were working with CFC Stanbic Bank as the lead financier for the project that they expect to be operational by the second half of 2017.

He noted that the availability of this alternative mode of transport will save consumers both time and money as it will be cheaper than boarding a matatu.

“A passenger will pay Sh50 from Taj Mall to town whether it’s raining or not and save up to Sh100 per day compared to what they are paying at the moment,” he said.

The Kenya Ferry Services also intends to deploy cable cars across Mombasa’s busy Likoni crossing to address the frequent cases of ferries that stall mid-journey.

A 1,300-metre-long cable network will be erected to carry up to 28 cabins with 40 passengers in each car, making a crossing every three minutes over the channel that connects Likoni to the mainland.

The project will anchor the Mombasa Aerial Cable master plan that will see up to 11 kilometres of cable ways built at a cost of $350 million (Sh33.1 billion) to provide transport.

http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/...248928/2754306/-/item/0/-/ci1ksu/-/index.html

I support the project and it will surely transform Nairobi. Now add the other Nairobi traffic solutions and by 2022 our city will be completely different. Can't wait to see this project start.

Reactions: african

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I guess there are now 3 proposed cable car projects in Kenya. Nairobi, Mombasa, Nyahururu.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Mimi hata nimechanganyikiwa, i thought cable cars were for crossing channels and difficult terrain

Reactions: Mistah ILL WILL

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Mimi hata nimechanganyikiwa, i thought cable cars were for crossing channels and difficult terrain
Exactly. I noticed this project passes through highly populated areas of Eastlands and Kibera and skips the main areas where these commuters work: The CBD and Industrial area. Maybe these details are missing thanks to our sketchy journalists.

Im sceptical a Kibera resident will pay 50 bob to use this service.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Exactly. I noticed this project passes through highly populated areas of Eastlands and Kibera and skips the main areas where these commuters work: The CBD and Industrial area. Maybe these details are missing thanks to our sketchy journalists.

Im sceptical a Kibera resident will pay 50 bob to use this service.
Thats the pilot project phase with an interchange station at Muthurwa. Kibera residents would watch the cable cars pass above them lol

Depending on where they'll build the inchange station the entire system could span Nairobi.

I hope Trapos Africa releases some very detailed plans on this project so we can see how it will go about.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Cable car systems for commuting have transformed Rio de Janeiro. That city's topography requires alternative transport systems for a lot of neighbourhoods that are cut off from each other and the CBD. I'm not sure whether Nairobi needs a cable car due to the terrain, but anything that can relieve traffic pressure on the roads relatively cheaply is welcome (not affected by flooding either)

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Cable car systems for commuting have transformed Rio de Janeiro. That city's topography requires alternative transport systems for a lot of neighbourhoods that are cut off from each other and the CBD. I'm not sure whether Nairobi needs a cable car due to the terrain, but anything that can relieve traffic pressure on the roads relatively cheaply is welcome (not affected by flooding either)
Nairobi needs light rail more. Its the most practical solution.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Sometimes I think we need to summon up some cojones and take this idiot KIDero to court and sue him to damnation. If he has, in two years, not constructed a single road anywhere in the city (I saw a rumour of a road, Ojijo Rd, which has already fallen apart even before the contractor completed it) how does he expect anyone to believe this?

Light rail transit system is what we need. If this fantasy would have worked anywhere in this ecoregion, the Ethiopians would have tried it out in Addis.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Sometimes I think we need to summon up some cojones and take this idiot KIDero to court and sue him to damnation. If he has, in two years, not constructed a single road anywhere in the city (I saw a rumour of a road, Ojijo Rd, which has already fallen apart even before the contractor completed it) how does he expect anyone to believe this?

Light rail transit system is what we need. If this fantasy would have worked anywhere in this ecoregion, the Ethiopians would have tried it out in Addis.
He must pride himself in naming a small street in Karen after himself. Even that one fell into disrepair soon as it was tarmacked as a detour for the Bomas interchange.

·
Registered
122 Posts
He must pride himself in naming a small street in Karen after himself. Even that one fell into disrepair soon as it was tarmacked as a detour for the Bomas interchange.
Desperate times calls for desperate measures.A whole dr. Kidero will finish his term and may be his political career with nothing under his belt.Just empty talks.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Desperate times calls for desperate measures.A whole dr. Kidero will finish his term and may be his political career with nothing under his belt.Just empty talks.
^^ He did buy the open air trash trucks :lol:
In all seriousness, you know my thoughts about this clown, the sooner he leaves his docket as Governor, the sooner my former home city can develop as it was meant to be and get back its former glory... BURE KABISA

Reactions: Arzedu

·
Registered
914 Posts
In all seriousness, you know my thoughts about this clown, the sooner he leaves his docket as Governor, the sooner my former home city can develop as it was meant to be and get back its former glory... BURE KABISA
Not only him with his wierd approach on governance, further down the equator the other idiot in the name of JOHO also needs to equally evaporate.

Peruse his fb pages and you see a clown of a leader busy attending funerals and wedding ceremonies.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Sounds fake. Cant see how a for-profit bank like CFC Stanbic can fund such an expensive and unpredictable project. How long will it take the project to pay back a 58 billion shilling loan including interest? At 50 bob fares, I'd think at least 150 years. That's just impossible.

·
Registered
47 Posts
light rail is indeed needed for sure, i think this is more of a cheap stop gap that can be implemented in the short term. light rail can't be done overnight.
I don't know much about Kidero, I have only seen a youtube video of him slapping a female mp in the face, is that emblematic of the guy?

·
Daniel, the Engineure
713 Posts
Imagine, he could not finish construction of a very small car park at Ngara. Sometimes I don't get, Why start so many projects which don't get finished and then start new projects that we already know won't see the light of the day based on past performance.

BTW- How do all these ambitious transport plans work in harmony with each other in Nairobi. We've among other plans to construct: BRT, Metro/light rail, commuter rail and now cable car!

·
Registered
353 Posts
What option do Nairobians have after him? I see no one lining up but career politicians who are even clueless more than him...

1 - 20 of 87 Posts