SkyscraperCity banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
^^ Behaving like a 5 year old who has seen his friends shiny new toy and goes on a hunger strike. This cable car system, the subject of the thread, is one among very many solutions that will benefit your cities.

Instead of throwing tantrums, swearing never to invest in the flower industry—like Azedu did—& rubbishing your country because Ethiopia has a shiny new light rail system, propose creative solutions and play an active role in making your situation better.

Very soon, your big railway project will be ready, don't cry.
Technically there is nothing wrong with this system. It will be financed privately and also its footprint will be rather small.

My problem with this system is that it will allow politicians to delay a 'real' solution for Public Transport in Nairobi. It is another sham like the half-hearted attempt at Nairobi Commuter Rail or the ever proposed BRT.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Technically there is nothing wrong with this system. It will be financed privately and also its footprint will be rather small.

My problem with this system is that it will allow politicians to delay a 'real' solution for Public Transport in Nairobi. It is another sham like the half-hearted attempt at Nairobi Commuter Rail or the ever proposed BRT.
Where is the evidence for your assertions—that it is a sham!

With people like you, your country needs no enemies. What a defeatist attitude. Stop moaning and propose solutions.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Where is the evidence for your assertions—that it is a sham!

With people like you, your country needs no enemies. What a defeatist attitude. Stop moaning and propose solutions.
Here are some: DMUs, track doubling and new stations for Nairobi commuter rail. Initial BRT corridor starting from Imra Diama Station and then follows Mombasa Road and Waiyaki Way.

·
#AfricaRising
500 Posts
Addis: Chaos Central

Just passing by...

Jomo Kenyatta Avenue (Addis)

Primezz,
Have you been to Addis? My friend it will take that city at least 50 years to catch up with Nairobi.
Look at the sides of this tram for a brief glimpse of what it is like.
It is chaos central, haphazard poorly planned city centre with slum like conditions that might shock you.
Ask anyone who flies through Bole about their hyenas!

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
^^ Behaving like a 5 year old who has seen his friends shiny new toy and goes on a hunger strike. This cable car system, the subject of the thread, is one among very many solutions that will benefit your cities.

Instead of throwing tantrums, swearing never to invest in the flower industry—like Azedu did—& rubbishing your country because Ethiopia has a shiny new light rail system, propose creative solutions and play an active role in making your situation better.

Very soon, your big railway project will be ready, don't cry.
Look, my psot says just passing by.
Not trying to throw my dog into the fight:)

·
Engineer d's art't enjoys
6,416 Posts
Hey guys take a chill pill..............with this kind of talk you sound like you're bashing Ethiopia now. Back to the topic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Maybe this might help.
Two facts:
1. Kenyan leadership is extremely corrupt
2. Nairobi seriously needs well planned rail transit and BRT.
Now lets go from here.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
This thread has everything to do with something else because this wasn't even a project in the first place. Otherwise we would be talking about those plans and renders. Apart from the original announcement, I haven't heard anything about it since the first time this thread was created.

·
jkiggs
12 Posts
The problem with Kenya is that for along time the infrastructure was neglected now we have the first railway since 1800sss Kenya actually had no master plan! before vision 2030. So i would not be surprised if the situation is the same in Ethiopia, who with a slightly higher population could be facing planning issues too.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
The problem with Kenya is that for along time the infrastructure was neglected now we have the first railway since 1800sss Kenya actually had no master plan! before vision 2030. So i would not be surprised if the situation is the same in Ethiopia, who with a slightly higher population could be facing planning issues too.
u mean like their five-year plans? Or mean like a spatial plan (e.g. Addis Master Plan)

·
Engineer d's art't enjoys
6,416 Posts
If you guys think African cities have no master plans then you're new here. There are numerous master plans for all cities in Africa. Go to city hall and you'll find numerous versions of amazing master plans for Nairobi. A master plan is one thing and implementing the master plan is another - remember that.

·
Registered
550 Posts
If you guys think African cities have no master plans then you're new here. There are numerous master plans for all cities in Africa. Go to city hall and you'll find numerous versions of amazing master plans for Nairobi. A master plan is one thing and implementing the master plan is another - remember that.
But that's the thing. Some plans are grandiose but are not practical. They cost a lot and do not change much. BRT and LRT are good and practical systems but those are headaches people don't want to deal with especially when systems like BRT mean that they have to plan for changes in major roads and intersections . They'd rather have a 'wow' project that amazes people and is easier to plan for but costs more. The more expensive it seems the more they can eat.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Maybe this might help.
Two facts:
1. Kenyan leadership is extremely corrupt
2. Nairobi seriously needs well planned rail transit and BRT.
Now lets go from here.
Not just the Kenyan leadership but culture. Its so ingrown a normal for a kenyan to take or give a bribe.It's going to take generations to change things.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·

"Cable Car manufacturer "Doppelmayr Urban Solutions", Marc Funda introduces cable car systems as an efficient extension to BRT systems."
Source

Marc Funda, Transport Planner at Doppelmayr, gave a comprehensive presentation on the history of the company, and presented the various existing and planned installations, for example the Doppelmayr line in La Paz/Bolivia and a possible line in Likoni (Mombasa)/Kenya, to name only a few.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I get the use of cable cars in Mombasa especially crossing both the likoni channel and tudor creek. However Nairobi i feel does not really need cable cars. Its largely flat with few to none large bodies of water to cross. Other towns where this may be useful come to mind: kilifi, mtwapa, nyahururu. Terrain in Nairobi is not that much of an issue.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·

They're trying to achieve this... They have examples like in Ankara though the terrain is different...

·
Registered
334 Posts
A ropeway is good for Mt Kenya not Nairobi.
Nairobi needs a subway connecting same area these guys have highlighted.
Connect the most populated area of city with subway. Airport connection is secondary. How many Kenyans go to the Airport
Time to build infrastructure that connects the people not far away from the people.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts