SkyscraperCity banner

2861 - 2874 of 2874 Posts

·
Mnadhimu Mkuu
1,009 Posts
I have never understood how a train with a right of way can take two hours to crawl from Lukenya station to Nariobi Central station a mere distance of 30Km. Something is terribly wrong. I bet its even faster to jog from Lukenya to Nairob CBD.
Yap its a very long time, even with the jam on Mombasa road you hamuta wachana mbali. But That is the safest speed it can go because the rail is quite old, then its not grade separated there are numerous areas where it crosses roads and footpathsand then also lack of a proper signalling mechanism.
The train for Embakasi is quite fast these days clocks upto 60kph but they had to lay the track afresh and install fencing and barriers.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Indeed two hours is too long. I guess just carry a blanket and enjoy the two hour nap that you wouldn't in a mat that is driven badly.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Callingg this new station Lukenya is misleading. One would think people from Machakos and not Kajiado will be using it but as it turns out its Kitengela It's good because Kittemgela is large catchment area. I hope they connect it to real Lukenya and Konza too (may this require new line) and improve on the speeds and frequency. It's a start though.

·
Registered
11,994 Posts
One and a half hours is good time, On mombasa road you can get stuck for more than 3 hours. The Embakasi train leaves town at 5pm and reaches Embakasi at 5.45 pm, in those 45 minutes a matatu would still be stuck in town trying to navigate the traffic.
Its definitely 3 hours if you live around Kitengela/Athi river. I know people in Greenpark who prefer to park and ride for this very reason if they have business in Nairobi.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
What happened to the remaining 6 DMUs that were scheduled to arrive last month? Will the DMUs be used on the Kitengela route?
A clogged up ship happened. Give it another month or two..

·
Mnadhimu Mkuu
1,009 Posts
The DMU train sets were being stored at some railway sheds on the Kenya Pipeline Company main depot in Industrial Area, actually you can see those sheds on the stretch between Makadara and Doonholm, no wonder we could not get any pictures when they were in storage. I think that is where the KR fuel depot is also.

Lets see if these new ones will be taken there as well.

·
Registered
11,994 Posts
Took this screenshot from the BRT videos. It shows what to expect in the next 9 years concerning the NCR.
We should have 89 DMU's by 2030 plying all routes. Though Im still hopeful the French funded JKIA-Central station line will trigger the upgrading the commuter rail with electric trains.

2861 - 2874 of 2874 Posts