SkyscraperCity banner

2101 - 2120 of 2159 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,949 Posts
Both mountains will be a lot more snowy from next month through early August.If the visibility stays as is right now, those pics will be even better.

·
Super Moderator
11,949 Posts
Housing within Nairobi county limits has become pretty expensive, so most first time buyers are moving to neighboring counties (Kiambu and Machakos) which has led to the development of new ''clusters''

1. Athi River, Machakos county: Thousands of new affordable homes, apartments and multiple malls have taken over this area over the last few years.Below are some ongoing projects.

Crystal Rivers mall & residential area.

Behind ^^ is Coloho Mall & GW residential phase 1, 2 & upcoming phase 3

2. Kiambu County has also seen tremendous growth, besides tatu city(previous page) there's lots of other new resi & retail projects

Edenville Phase 1 and 2

Both counties are part of the larger Nairobi metro area.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Housing within Nairobi county limits has become pretty expensive, so most first time buyers are moving to neighboring counties (Kiambu and Machakos) which has led to the development of new ''clusters''

1. Athi River, Machakos county: Thousands of new affordable homes, apartments and multiple malls have taken over this area over the last few years.Below are some ongoing projects.

Crystal Rivers mall & residential area.

Behind ^^ is Coloho Mall & GW residential phase 1, 2 & upcoming phase 3

2. Kiambu County has also seen tremendous growth, besides tatu city(previous page) there's lots of other new resi & retail projects

Edenville Phase 1 and 2

Both counties are part of the larger Nairobi metro area.
i see ths photos in a rich agricultural area and i dont celebrate...ths is not development but poor planning on steroids....!!!!!!

·
Registered
16,698 Posts
i see ths photos in a rich agricultural area and i dont celebrate...ths is not development but poor planning on steroids....!!!!!!
Dont want to derail a photothread but...

Thank you. 'Common sense is not so common'- Voltaire

Ghana is lucky in that its capital sits on top of one of its countries largest potential agricultural plains- 200,000 hectares of unfarmed land. Instead, Accra has been allowed to sprawl into these plains. A British engineer first came up with the idea of mass irrigating the Accra plains in the 1930s. We are now in 2020. Successive governments announce false starts to get the project going.

Besides, these new developments look extremely soulless and car-focused. I grew up in a New Town in Scotland which was built after the war and it often gets the same criticism. But Africans always insist on making the same planning mistakes as were done in Europe- soulless peripheral estates, flyovers being built far too central in a city etc etc. And some, actually most Africans, view this as progress where we know this will all end.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
By Popa -> Besides, these new developments look extremely soulless and car-focused.
Apart from Edenville Phase 1 and 2 which is near the Kiambu Town (you can see Kiambu Town at the backdrop), which is 16 KM from Nairobi CBD, the rest of the new projects shown in the photos above are in Machakos County, Athi River area (Approx. 30 KM from Nairobi centre). These are not an agricultural areas. Built environment in Athi River, Machakos County are industries and warehouses and residential areas. The rest of land area are savannah grassland plains which can get dry and dusty during dry season. So your comment, based on the photos above, is has a little ignorance in it, sorry to say.

The only suburbs that one can make arguments of agricultural land is Kiambu. But Nairobi County has a very small in square miles and the city is growing at all directions, at a fast rate with pressure to provide more affordable housing that is accessible to the majority of people. For example, Edenville is 16 KM from Nairobi CBD, though in Kiambu County. Kiambu county is big and the only places its being converted into built environment are those areas near Nairobi and and other commercial areas(Kiambu towns). There are large farmland in Kiambu county and beyond into Central region and Rift Valley.

And as Popa has commented, the lack of soul. Yes true, some of these upcoming flats may lack soul. But considering the cost of buying those units, starting USD30,000 or KES 3,000,000, this cost start looking more affordable to many if you consider the average income of common citizens in the Country. Why are they affordable ? Land is cheaper the further you yo go from the city centre. They may lack soul of more affluent Neighbourhoods, but they offer to most an affordable entry into home ownership. In future, they an afford neighbourhoods with more soul.

2101 - 2120 of 2159 Posts