SkyscraperCity banner

2121 - 2140 of 2158 Posts

·
Mwafrika
1,832 Posts
i see ths photos in a rich agricultural area and i dont celebrate...ths is not development but poor planning on steroids....!!!!!!
True, but as the city is rapidly growing, where do you suggest new developments are made given the city proper is chocked with a higher density (minus the park area) than London and Tokyo, 100km South in the ASALs?

Urban areas have always organically started and thrived in or around good agricultural areas as a guarantee of food and water availability. It is bad for agricultural production as they expand into them but with irrigation, that really shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
^^With Nairobi visibly expanding so rapidly, has serious thought been given to moving national park? it is 117km2 and right adjacent the city. IMHO it would make more sense to relocate it and let Nairobi expand into that area. The new park could be further away, bigger and have proper tourist facilities like hotels, waterparks etc?

·
Mwafrika
1,832 Posts
^^ Apart from the predictably very strong activist opposition they'll face, most Nairobians would like the park to stay right where it is. It gives an excellent wild weekend getaway from city's hustles, offers much needed carbon sequestration, Adds to the city's hotel demands, gives the city a unique identity as a place where the big 5 (4 of them at least) are literally a stone throw away and the skyline with giraffes or lions at the fore-ground is like no other, a good advert for Kenyan tourism.

The city's expansion can skip the park. Rongai, a fast growing satellite town is right on the other side of the park. The city's heavily built up area will likely enclose the park entirely in future

·
thenairobidude
3,648 Posts
^^With Nairobi visibly expanding so rapidly, has serious thought been given to moving national park? it is 117km2 and right adjacent the city. IMHO it would make more sense to relocate it and let Nairobi expand into that area. The new park could be further away, bigger and have proper tourist facilities like hotels, waterparks etc?
I wouldnt have agreed with u a few years ago but now I would say yes the park needs to be moved.

The city's expansion can skip the park. Rongai, a fast growing satellite town is right on the other side of the park. The city's heavily built up area will likely enclose the park entirely in future
And thats the thing this park will soon be surrounded on all sides, blocking all the old wildlife corridors and so the current population of wildlife will die off slowly. Unless new animals are constantly and constantly introduced.

As for green space, the current area can be partially turned into a forest or parks. Nairobi can set a green space target of 35-40%.

The park should be moved right to the edge of the city and then built with wildlife corridors connecting to Aberdare, Amboseli etc. The current park is 117 km2 it can be moved to the new city edge where borders of the city would need to be expanded but that would also be difficult.

·
Registered
31 Posts
^^ Apart from the predictably very strong activist opposition they'll face, most Nairobians would like the park to stay right where it is. It gives an excellent wild weekend getaway from city's hustles, offers much needed carbon sequestration, Adds to the city's hotel demands, gives the city a unique identity as a place where the big 5 (4 of them at least) are literally a stone throw away and the skyline with giraffes or lions at the fore-ground is like no other, a good advert for Kenyan tourism.

plus nairobi has very skewed zoning laws especially towards low middle class & middle class estates,the suburbs took up a huge chunk of the city proper,not to mention the green spaces & the parks,look at the size of karen,its like a new city all together,the middle class estates south of nairobi have absolutely no room for expansion,they are choked of by nairobi national park,ngong forest,wilson airport,uhuru gardens and karen,i think nairobi was not intended for low class,the first government after independence really tried to correct the imbalance as much of eastlands was built then,but the morale died along the way,i hope the current push of rebuilding eastlands older estates will give the middle class room to breath.

2121 - 2140 of 2158 Posts