SkyscraperCity banner

1861 - 1880 of 2190 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,877 Posts
Who started Nyama Mama?
Its owned by a small company called Good Earth Group, its not publicly traded so its hard to know who really owns it but the public face of the company is Nina Shanghavi.

I hear the real owner is a former politician, but there's no way to know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if that turned out to be true.

·
Registered
16,765 Posts
Its owned by a small company called Good Earth Group, its not publicly traded so its hard to know who really owns it but the public face of the company is Nina Shanghavi.

I hear the real owner is a former politician, but there's no way to know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if that turned out to be true.

I was just wondering because many of the really trendy restaurants in bars in SSA, that wouldnt look out of place in London or NYC, tend to be owned by Lebanese/Indians etc.

I actually thought this might be started by a Western expay

Its def the case like that in Accra.

Stunning decor!

·
Super Moderator
12,877 Posts
^^ Yeah, that's whats slightly different about Nairobi, its the other way round.

Mostly black owned but they hire a ''public face'' and give the places global sounding names like 'the hub'' two rivers'' etc while in reality its local billionaires like Chris Kirubi, Humprey Kariuki or the big families like the Kenyattas, Moi and Odingas behind the scenes.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I was just wondering because many of the really trendy restaurants in bars in SSA, that wouldnt look out of place in London or NYC, tend to be owned by Lebanese/Indians etc.

I actually thought this might be started by a Western expay

Its def the case like that in Accra.

Stunning decor!
There are so many new restaurants opened in Nairobi, the photos shared here is just tip of the iceberg.

In terms of who is starting the restaurants, its very diverse people from different backgrounds and some are investment vehicles. Majority are just started by local chaps who have entrepreneurial spirit, have good taste and are willing to take the risk to bring something amazing into a space that is experiencing growth or a location of city that has potential but is underserved.

If you are curious from this video from 9.30 you can see a youtube vlogger interviewing a young guy who opened a very nice restaurant in CBD recently.

·
Registered
426 Posts
that dude is 32 and a doctor by profession. his other restaurant was just demolished a few months ago by the enviromental agency and here he is opening another restaurant quickly for about half a million dollars. i dont know how good a doctors salary is these days but this is what fuels money laundering rumours in kenya. nice bistro though. great location unlike the first one

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
that dude is 32 and a doctor by profession. his other restaurant was just demolished a few months ago by the enviromental agency and here he is opening another restaurant quickly for about half a million dollars. i dont know how good a doctors salary is these days but this is what fuels money laundering rumours in kenya. nice bistro though. great location unlike the first one
How do you know he has no other partners and he is not pulling all resources by himself? Also if you have a good plan and track record, getting financing from a bank or VC on this brick and mortal business ideas is not rocket science. Don't fall into the mind trap when you see young successful people you imagine shady business. It could be envy subtly creeping up on you.

·
Registered
16,765 Posts

ha im also a doctor and was looking to do the same. first in London and then in Accra.

many doctors come from rich families so could be just that. I know 2 or 3 here who have restaurant side businesses.

Btw i dont have the money in London even but I had some investors but there were problems but hopefully this year.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
ha im also a doctor and was looking to do the same. first in London and then in Accra.

many doctors come from rich families so could be just that. I know 2 or 3 here who have restaurant side businesses.

Btw i dont have the money in London even but I had some investors but there were problems but hopefully this year.
Godspeed @popa1980. I pray that you are successful in actualising your goals. Can you imagine the transformation Africa will have if the diaspora invested in businesses back home rather than only send support money to families or just buying properties?

·
Registered
426 Posts
How do you know he has no other partners and he is not pulling all resources by himself? Also if you have a good plan and track record, getting financing from a bank or VC on this brick and mortal business ideas is not rocket science. Don't fall into the mind trap when you see young successful people you imagine shady business. It could be envy subtly creeping up on you.
i guess i came off as a hater. im not trying to knock his hustle. ive patronized his establishment many times.

·
Registered
707 Posts
^^ They even changed their logo, I'd miss the old one. Its been 15 yrs since I was last at village market. A lot has changed. Does it mean there are two bowling alleys now at village market?

·
Registered
384 Posts
There are so many new restaurants opened in Nairobi, the photos shared here is just tip of the iceberg.

In terms of who is starting the restaurants, its very diverse people from different backgrounds and some are investment vehicles. Majority are just started by local chaps who have entrepreneurial spirit, have good taste and are willing to take the risk to bring something amazing into a space that is experiencing growth or a location of city that has potential but is underserved.

If you are curious from this video from 9.30 you can see a youtube vlogger interviewing a young guy who opened a very nice restaurant in CBD recently.
Nairobi is just in a league of its own in SSA beside SA. I like its dynamism and energy when it comes to the business environment. A vibrant city with an acceptable level of urban planning and order, but the city urgently needs a public masstransit system. Also the government must find a solution for Kibera. I like the climate too and its vibrant cultural life, Nairobi is definitely one of the places I see myself relocating to if the government could get the City to Kigali's security level. I love Kenya so much, almost obsessed with that place.

1861 - 1880 of 2190 Posts