SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Mkenya daima
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The proposed project is the access road located between the ICD yard and the southern bypass road in Nairobi, Kenya. The total length of the proposed access road is approximately 4.153km.

In accordance with traffic volume forecast results and Kenya Highway Design Manual, Grade B national highway standards and 4-lane section with central median are applied in the Project, with a design speed of 60km/h and a subgrade width of 21m.
EIA Is ready....

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Page 46 of the EIA states:

"5.6. Project Cost
The proposed access road is estimated to approximately United States Dollar (USD)
213,985,293.68, which includes a provision for the expansion and modernization of the ICDN yard, the access roads Line A, B and L and the railway lines. In Kenya shilling, this is
21,534,065,513 (1 USD = 100.63339 KES)."

You mean that road will cost us Ksh.21bn? What exactly are we paying for? In certain places we see project A, B, L and railway lines. First, which is road A, B, L and railway lines. Where are the railway lines going to? And which are these roads?

Is something amiss in this whole thing? The title of that documents specifically states that the length of road is 4.153km, where do these others come from when it comes to costing?

·
Kenyan stakeholder
199 Posts
21B ni nyingi sana!!! Even with interchanges and land compensation, a breakdown of that costing would be in order. Can't we just grade the dirt road and let trucks first start using it to Southern Bypass?

Was hoping this project will connect all the way to the SGR station, providing a proper alternative for access than the current long way to Syokimau.

I also see the EIA has only 3 mentions of the word "pedestrian", and the design clearly shows there is absolutely no provision for footpaths, yet majority of peeps going to work at the ICD will be going on foot (no public transport) :eek:hno:

·
Registered
318 Posts
21B ni nyingi sana!!! Even with interchanges and land compensation, a breakdown of that costing would be in order. Can't we just grade the dirt road and let trucks first start using it to Southern Bypass?

Was hoping this project will connect all the way to the SGR station, providing a proper alternative for access than the current long way to Syokimau.

I also see the EIA has only 3 mentions of the word "pedestrian", and the design clearly shows there is absolutely no provision for footpaths, yet majority of peeps going to work at the ICD will be going on foot (no public transport) :eek:hno:
I agree with you, too much money. you do not need fancy roads cutting through the park and the like. use like Ksh5B for the back access roads

16B can build 300km of rural roads; Please stop wasting money, just because they are mega projects does not mean they are benefitting us Kenyans

·
Registered
2,090 Posts

There is a road that traffic can use but its not open to traffic as its manned by APs and there are barriers. But even if was opened, I doubt it would help because it will quickly get congested. But they can force trucks only to use it and join Southern bypass and relieve Mombasa road of heavy traffic often caused by trucks. It would be even better to extend the road running along the National park all the way to Mlolongo. That would be a big relief. Once trucks get to Mlolongo Weigh bridge from Mombasa you don't see them again till Southern bypass.

·
Kenyan stakeholder
199 Posts
There is a road that traffic can use but its not open to traffic as its manned by APs and there are barriers. But even if was opened, I doubt it would help because it will quickly get congested. But they can force trucks only to use it and join Southern bypass and relieve Mombasa road of heavy traffic often caused by trucks. It would be even better to extend the road running along the National park all the way to Mlolongo. That would be a big relief. Once trucks get to Mlolongo Weigh bridge from Mombasa you don't see them again till Southern bypass.
Exactly!! Now remember Southern bypass was graded and trucks were deviated long before the road was completed. The same can be done for that stretch, just grade it and divert trucks from Syokimau. That can really relieve that Cabanas GM stretch.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
^^
And bless the residents of the accompanying stretch with unending dust

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Who is it? The previous ones seemed to have no idea what BRT really is and how to get them implemented in road designs. All we’ve had is ...will be added later and ...to be incorporated in future as the roads get clogged daily.

·
Mkenya daima
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took these photos a while back.. but since no one has updated let me just leave them here.... They have been working on the interchange with southern bypass right after Ole Sereni..

·
Registered
11,517 Posts
I'm wondering how they will incorporate both the interchange above exiting the ICD road and the Southern bypass access overpass for the Nairobi expressway at the same spot.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm wondering how they will incorporate both the interchange above exiting the ICD road and the Southern bypass access overpass for the Nairobi expressway at the same spot.
I guess the ICD road will have a new bridge over southern bypass for traffic heading from Langata towards Mombasa road while traffic leaving ICD will merge the southern bypass heading towards Langata direction.

·
Registered
11,517 Posts
I guess the ICD road will have a new bridge over southern bypass for traffic heading from Langata towards Mombasa road while traffic leaving ICD will merge the southern bypass heading towards Langata direction.
My concern was having Langata to Mombasa road bound traffic exiting the Southern bypass to either the ICD road or Nairobi expressway at roughly the same point...will be rather confusing to motorists.

·
Mkenya daima
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

You are actually right from the look of things on the site..

·
Mkenya daima
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

View attachment 395677
This thing looks so complex to someone who doesnt know this interchange but the only thing they are actually adding here is the loop from MSA side to Southern bypass side... But they will ride on the sophistication of this interchange once the project is complete to show how they have designed complex interchanges in the expressway - Same for Cabanas and Thika Road - the existing interchanges are already 90% of the complete work being shown in the videos and the design renders..

1 - 20 of 58 Posts