Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kenya, Japan to fund Nairobi overpass to decongest CBD

The government is set to construct an overpass to link Enterprise Road to Nairobi Central Business District.

The overpass also known as a viaduct — a long bridge-like structure, typically a series of arches, carrying a road or railway across a valley or other low ground— will fly over the railway yard at the Nairobi Central Railway Station.

The project is a collaboration between Kenya and Japan International Co-operation Agency (JICA) and will be undertaken by Kenya Urban Roads Authority (Kura), who are the implementing agency.

2030 MASTER PLAN
Kura acting director general Silas Kinoti, in a statement, said that the project was identified in the Nairobi Integrated Urban Development Master Plan 2030 as a priority project to reduce traffic congestion within city centre and divert traffic from Mombasa Road.

“At the same time it is intended to go a long way in expanding the CBD as well as alter permanently the Nairobi city centre landscape and give it a modern look,” said Mr Kinoti on Tuesday.

Mr Kinoti said several studies have been conducted in compliance with relevant Kenyan laws and JICA environmental and social safeguard guidelines.

RELOCATIONS
He said feasibility studies, environmental and social impact assessment and ongoing resettlement action plan (RAP) are being conducted by a JICA commissioned study team

“So far, several consultative meetings …have been held with stakeholders including the Muthurwa Estate residents as part of the ongoing RAP process,” he said.

The Kura boss said, according to feasibility studies conducted in 2016, a section of the viaduct would be constructed on land currently occupied by Wakulima market but several other options have been identified to ensure traders are not disenfranchised during the construction period.

He said Muthurwa Estate was identified as an alternative site for relocation of the market during consultations with various stakeholders including representatives of the Wakulima market traders, Nairobi City County government, Kenya Railways Staff Retirement Benefits Scheme (KRSRBS) and Kura.

“The Project planning and study activities are part of an ongoing process that will give recommendations and inform stakeholders including the government of Kenya and JICA on the project’s viability,” he said.
https://www.nation.co.ke/counties/nairobi/Nairobi-set-to-get-rail-flyover/1954174-4667852-okwuy3z/index.html

I hope this project is large enough to warrant its own thread. Also, apparently the KURA upper brass think building overpasses through the heart of the city will give it a "modern look". It's no wonder with clowns like these at the helm, things as basic as having proper sidewalks on the Upper-hill roads are not performed :bash:

·
Snowlion
457 Posts
Kenya, Japan to fund Nairobi overpass to decongest CBD

Might not be too bad If by JICA. Could change future design and look of Nairobi-central rail station if it was later to include new passenger platforms on Industrial area side as well. The flow of vehicular traffic could surely improve if properly designed which JICA can deliver.

·
Registered
480 Posts
:nuts::nuts:
Id think this KURA project money could be better spent on a public transport network like sidewalks , light rail, bus lanes and bus stops...
or have that contractor do all our inner cbd streets that havent been touched since the 70s in new designs..
Something that will actually fix traffic problems

Let kenha handle any overpass.. But thats just my opinion.. Maybe the guys at KURA are smarter.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
We may have an iconic arch of a bridge to talk about but i just dont get it, how does it decongest CBD?

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
We may have an iconic arch of a bridge to talk about but i just dont get it, how does it decongest CBD?

Mkuu a direct way to get traffic out of the city into the industrial area and surrounding places will definitely decongest the city. I’ve stood right there many times at the railways and wondered why Moi Avenue does not directly empty into enterprise road and the others around there. This is my answer, I saw this way back when I was in high school. I’m glad and hope it actually works out. But as part of this the road should have five lanes in both sides and empty into industrial area roads and Moi Avenue should have ten lanes total, may be 3 lanes each side of road and two lane service roads each side.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Mkuu a direct way to get traffic out of the city into the industrial area and surrounding places will definitely decongest the city. I’ve stood right there many times at the railways and wondered why Moi Avenue does not directly empty into enterprise road and the others around there. This is my answer, I saw this way back when I was in high school. I’m glad and hope it actually works out. But as part of this the road should have five lanes in both sides and empty into industrial area roads and Moi Avenue should have ten lanes total, may be 3 lanes each side of road and two lane service roads each side.
Sasa wewe Moi Avenue 10 lanes itatoshea wapi,kwanza past Tom Mboya statue to Jevanjee ?

·
Registered
14,262 Posts
This I very much support! as it's not cutting the CBD in half but rather building an overpass over the underutilized railway land. Plus that arch will be a brand new attraction in the city because the vantage point one will have of Upperhill and Westlands will be epic. Plus if it will be lit up at night will LED's will make it a new attraction...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nairobi's longest flyover takes shape after study

Seems it is still in the study phase

The government has stepped up efforts to ease traffic on Mombasa Road in Nairobi with plans to construct two-kilometre flyover linking the Industrial Area to the city centre.

Works on the bridge, which will pass over the Nairobi Railway station and displace hundreds of traders at Wakulima Market, will start once feasibility studies on the project are done.

The Japanese agency is conducting the studies, which started in 2016.

“The Government of Kenya in collaboration with Japan International Co-operation Agency intends to construct a viaduct over the railway yard at the Nairobi Central Railway Station,” said Kenya Urban Roads Authority acting director-general Silas Kinoti. “This viaduct will link Enterprise Road to the Nairobi central business district.”
LINK: https://www.businessdailyafrica.com...-after-study/539546-4668542-37wsx9/index.html

·
Registered
377 Posts
That area will be part of the expanded CBD. The railway city project will be based in this area allowing developers to put up developments in this area. The future of the CBD is in this area not in upperhill. The Nairobi central station is planned as iconic landmark in this area opening up the area to commuters and commercial use. The area will be nerve centre for the Nairobi Multimodal transport system.

·
Registered
12,663 Posts
I thought Moi Avenue literally terminates at the main railway station. Not that it matters as that station needs to be torn down and replaced with a real central station.

·
Registered
69 Posts
This is going to be another parking lot like the globe cinema overpass, whose traffic stretches back up-to Ngara from Tom Mboya street roundabout. To avoid this, they will have to replace the roundabouts from bomb blast to Kariakor with grade separated junctions since the viaduct will be constructed on land currently occupied by Wakulima market. Acha tungonjee tuone.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
The space is there. Ni wewe tu huoni! Piga picha tena. Nafasi ipo kibera tu!
Mkuu , expanding Moi Ave is a bad idea and the point is to prevent people having to pass through CBD . Moi Ave is at the heart of the CBD .If anything we should be making it less car friendly and more of pedestrian friendly by removing all parking and expand sidewalks. Maybe expanding Haile Selassie and replacing roundabouts with eye friendly interchanges(like Bomas) would be a better solution to your concerns. I'm really hoping we get some new blood in infrastructure ministry..someone that will make bold moves to completely change Nrb transport crisis. We need JKIA -rironi, Northern and E bypass , landhies rd, jogoo road Kagundo rd, langata rd and all connecting roads like enterprise and kasa-Mwiki roads all concurrently and competently worked on.

·
Veteran
3,369 Posts
This will not decongest the CBD but rather add more bottlenecks going into the CBD, unless that overpass is built as an outbound road evacuating traffic from Haile Selassie Ave to Dunga road.
They could make it two way dual all the way upto the railway station, build a hug parking silo, but one way outbound from there.Therefore,
make people who are coming into town have to terminate the journey at the railway station and PARK.
But also allow, people from town to leave using the new overpass.this way its a win win situation.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I thought Moi Avenue literally terminates at the main railway station. Not that it matters as that station needs to be torn down and replaced with a real central station.
I don't think it is necessary to tear down the old station. In my opinion we are too quick to tear down historical buildings. The facade can be incorporated into a modern design. The Central Station in NY and Amsterdam come to mind. They are grand, old and awesome!!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts