SkyscraperCity banner

81 - 100 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Please don't give them any ideas. I still remember our "leaders" going to Russia to benchmark the World Cup. Meanwhile, FKF is struggling to hold credible elections. All these benchmarking trips don't produce any meaningful change in me view. Wacha watumie Google ama waje huku Skyscraper City kama sisi.
I am convinced the Public service commission is broken down. They don't hire competent and visionary staff and I am sure not one of them is in this forum because construction is not their passion. If I was incharge the railway city could be fenced off and under construction as we speak.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Update: as of yesterday 40 investors have submitted interest in developing Nairobi Railway city, it will also include 4km of underground railway infrastructure and the picked investor will part with 7 billion VAT.

These investors include Middle East investors with heavy pockets and some European ones from what I’ve learnt.

Also the cost of the PPP package is now at 54 billion to include more green and smart city technologies and transport nodes. Also because they could be trying to outbid each other.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Update: as of yesterday 40 investors have submitted interest in developing Nairobi Railway city, it will also include 4km of underground railway infrastructure and the picked investor will part with 7 billion VAT.

These investors include Middle East investors with heavy pockets and some European ones from what I’ve learnt.

Also the cost of the PPP package is now at 54 billion to include more green and smart city technologies and transport nodes. Also because they could be trying to outbid each other.
i also spotted an article about it ...
Evictions on to make way for green city

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I remember one of the big complaints here was that although this was a "Railway City" initial plans did not have much information on commuter rail. Is the underground railway infrastructure an addition or what is it exactly? Or is it one of the very last Phases. Hope not!

·
Registered
11,994 Posts
I remember one of the big complaints here was that although this was a "Railway City" initial plans did not have much information on commuter rail. Is the underground railway infrastructure an addition or what is it exactly? Or is it one of the very last Phases. Hope not!
I thought the video showing the renders was pretty clear the lines would run under the city. The central station showed the railway platforms being underground.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts

Great news, especially the underground rail. The beginning of Nairobi subway

·
Registered
687 Posts
In his dreams. I see orientals having an edge.
You remember he went there...to the railway station...at night accompanied by the President.
It wasn't a fun trip.

Orientals might get work as contractors not as prime-movers of the project.

·
Registered
285 Posts
You remember he went there...to the railway station...at night accompanied by the President.
It wasn't a fun trip.

Orientals might get work as contractors not as prime-movers of the project.
It is the termination of jkia line after all. Not sure I would read much beyond that.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Yes, criticism is very good as well. If we all turn into cheerleaders we will not reach our true potential. That video presentation of the project had little on the railway bit of the project. BRT had more spotlight than the railway. The city itself was the main highlight. Now we are getting more information of the railway and its underground. A pleasant surprise. Oversight and push government officials to get us the best deal possible.

·
Registered
687 Posts
It is the termination of jkia line after all. Not sure I would read much beyond that.
I could be totally wrong. However I don't see any European leader flying for 8hrs to Nairobi and 8hrs back just to discuss a 20km rail line to Jkia. That was the cover the real deal is the railway land real estate.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I could be totally wrong. However I don't see any European leader flying for 8hrs to Nairobi and 8hrs back just to discuss a 20km rail line to Jkia. That was the cover the real deal is the railway land real estate.
I hope so too, I wouldn't mind the same french rail company to replicate what they have done in Dakar Senegal here in Nairobi. Not just the JKIA-Town line but the entire commuter train service.

·
Registered
285 Posts
You forget to mention that the same French were fighting for the $1.8 billion Rironi Mau Summit that they were defending. Add Total in oil extraction, yes jkia and even the launch of Peugeot is small change for Macron to have undertaken the trip

·
Registered
687 Posts
You forget to mention that the same French were fighting for the $1.8 billion Rironi Mau Summit that they were defending. Add Total in oil extraction, yes jkia and even the launch of Peugeot is small change for Macron to have undertaken the trip
You are probably right.
In which case having discussed the other deals the rushed night trip to the railway station would not have been necessary. Considering the location and the inconvenience caused to other commuters at rush hour.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Its just part of France's long term strategy. The French have a firm footing in West/Central Africa but have been lagging behind in East Africa (or Anglophone Africa). East Africa is by far the fastest growing region in Africa. Kenya has been growing by a good 5% per year but is still among the slowest in the region. That should tell you how hot the competition is. The visit by Macron signals their seriousness. French companies are already making big moves: Bamburi Cement is the largest in East Africa and is owned by French giant Lafarge; Bollore Logistics is also active, now Vinci has secured the Expressway contract; and I can bet that French railway giant Alstom will be the key driver of the CBD-Airport railway line. And once the railway city gets going expect a titanic battle between French Alstom/SNCF, Korea Railways, China Railways, Turkish Yepi Merkezi, and Portuguese Mota-Engil for the contract. In short, better dust off your French books.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Its just part of France's long term strategy. The French have a firm footing in West/Central Africa but have been lagging behind in East Africa (or Anglophone Africa). East Africa is by far the fastest growing region in Africa. Kenya has been growing by a good 5% per year but is still among the slowest in the region. That should tell you how hot the competition is. The visit by Macron signals their seriousness. French companies are already making big moves: Bamburi Cement is the largest in East Africa and is owned by French giant Lafarge; Bollore Logistics is also active, now Vinci has secured the Expressway contract; and I can bet that French railway giant Alstom will be the key driver of the CBD-Airport railway line. And once the railway city gets going expect a titanic battle between French Alstom/SNCF, Korea Railways, China Railways, Turkish Yepi Merkezi, and Portuguese Mota-Engil for the contract. In short, better dust off your French books.
Supported by this grant of 189.2 *million to Kenya Railways for public transport planning in addition to the JKIA railway funding.

Source

81 - 100 of 138 Posts