SkyscraperCity banner

101 - 120 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
Is this the official design? Good to see it was done by a Kenyan.
Yes. Well the general shape and design and layout.

unless this changes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
An important thing to think about is the Kenya govt currently has no money. The Jubilee binge spending is coming to an end. The mess the Rotich Treasury put us in is coming to fruition. Those who can remember the 90s where projects just went dead know what's coming. I think all ministries are being asked to curtail their spending. Some projects are just going to die. The next administration will have their work cut out. Focus will probably move to helping the private sector grow.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
An important thing to think about is the Kenya govt currently has no money. The Jubilee binge spending is coming to an end. The mess the Rotich Treasury put us in is coming to fruition. Those who can remember the 90s where projects just went dead know what's coming. I think all ministries are being asked to curtail their spending. Some projects are just going to die. The next administration will have their work cut out. Focus will probably move to helping the private sector grow.
There is no country in the world that has not been affected by COVID, economically. Revenue collection this financial year is very low, you only need to check Ukur yatani's budget statement for 2021/2022. Gov't spending on some planned projects, escpecially non-priority ones. will definitely have to be cancelled

·
Registered
750 Posts
The current railway station would be demolished in this plan right,?

That means this project is a likely a long way off. Since the govt wouldn't have refurbrished a station the we're likely to tear down soon.
Yes. Well the general shape and design and layout.

unless this changes.

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
The current railway station would be demolished in this plan right,?

That means this project is a likely a long way off. Since the govt wouldn't have refurbrished a station the we're likely to tear down soon.
No, The current station and the old structures most of them being a protected buildings cannot be demolished. Plus Central Station will be centered more towards in middle of the rail yard than where the current station is located.

Mr. Hinga stated this month will know more details about the city.

But phase 1 looks like it will involve building of roads, sewer lines, power, etc. Followed up with upgrading of TUK and working on the periphery of the project area.

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
No, The current station and the old structures most of them being a protected buildings cannot be demolished. Plus Central Station will be centered more towards in middle of the rail yard than where the current station is located.

Mr. Hinga stated this month will know more details about the city.

But phase 1 looks like it will involve building of roads, sewer lines, power, etc. Followed up with upgrading of TUK and working on the periphery of the project area.
That's the wierd part. By law you cannot demolish historically gazetted buildings yet in every render I've come across they only maintain the Railway HQ building. In the plans, the current station gives way to the new central station. We will only know for sure when the construction starts.

Another strong indication is this. Gazettement of buildings is done by the National Museums of Kenya and for some curious reason the central station does not appear to have been gazetted. Look from page 87 of the research article below with lists of the gazetted structures in Nairobi. I couldn't spot Central station anywhere.

Link.

·
Registered
790 Posts

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
That's the wierd part. By law you cannot demolish historically gazetted buildings yet in every render I've come across they only maintain the Railway HQ building. In the plans, the current station gives way to the new central station. We will only know for sure when the construction starts.

Another strong indication is this. Gazettement of buildings is done by the National Museums of Kenya and for some curious reason the central station does not appear to have been gazetted. Look from page 87 of the research article below with lists of the gazetted structures in Nairobi. I couldn't spot Central station anywhere.

Link.
I would think that a building that’s a 122 years old and one of the first few stone buildings in Nairobi. And literally birthed this city would be a protected structure.

Reactions: Ukweli

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
I would think that a building that’s a 122 years old and one of the first few stone buildings in Nairobi. And literally birthed this city would be a protected structure.
Emm...it wasn't the first stone structure. That credit goes to the East African Standard building which unfortunately was torn down shortly after independence. By the time the current station was built, Nairobi had multiple stone structures.

The first railway station was also torn down to make way for the structure you see today. So its definitely not 122 years old. The station below is the one that birthed the city and was more charming compared to the "warehouse" structure that is there today.

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
Emm...it wasn't the first stone structure. That credit goes to the East African Standard building which unfortunately was torn down shortly after independence. By the time the current station was built, Nairobi had multiple stone structures.

View attachment 823991

The first railway station was also torn down to make way for the structure you see today. So its definitely not 122 years old. The station below is the one that birthed the city and was more charming compared to the "warehouse" structure that is there today.

View attachment 824000
I said first few. Not first building.

And it wasn’t torn down. From what I read is they updated renovated the structure. In 1906 and it wasn’t liked. 114 year old structure..

Reactions: Kenguy

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
I said first few. Not first building.

And it wasn’t torn down. From what I read is they updated renovated the structure. In 1906 and it wasn’t liked. 114 year old structure..
I came across a picture from one of my history books. You are right that the current station did get built around 1906 but it was not an extension nor renovation. It was built in front of the old station which was later torn down. The initial station most likely stood where we have the boarding platform today. Here is the station in 1908.

I'm really not a fan of the current station though. Colonialists were putting up much grander iconic structures elsewhere and this is all they could come up with for Nairobi?

·
ici maintenant & toujours
1,894 Posts
The Nairobi Central Railway station being over a century old today, was state of the art then. This is more or less an agemate of the Union Station in Washington DC. However, its unfair to compare the two stations, just like you cannot compare Kenya and the US in the early 1900s. In effect Kenya was nowhere (little known) on the world map then.

However, the US in the early 1980 chose a different route to preserve, restore and maintain the station and an institution (USRC) was created to do just that. Kenya is now just getting into that stage where we are starting to "restore" the utility of our rail system. The next step is to improve all the colonial train stations, not just Nairobi Central station. For that to really happen, KR needs to do more to get people to start using rail for both goods and passenger trips. It should not just be an occassional ride, as that will not sustain the rail system.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The Nairobi Central Railway station being over a century old today, was state of the art then. This is more or less an agemate of the Union Station in Washington DC. However, its unfair to compare the two stations, just like you cannot compare Kenya and the US in the early 1900s. In effect Kenya was nowhere (little known) on the world map then.

However, the US in the early 1980 chose a different route to preserve, restore and maintain the station and an institution (USRC) was created to do just that. Kenya is now just getting into that stage where we are starting to "restore" the utility of our rail system. The next step is to improve all the colonial train stations, not just Nairobi Central station. For that to really happen, KR needs to do more to get people to start using rail for both goods and passenger trips. It should not just be an occassional ride, as that will not sustain the rail system.
A good debate if I may say so. My gut feeling feeling, is the current Station Facàde will be incorporated into the Railway City when it's constricted.

101 - 120 of 138 Posts