SkyscraperCity banner

121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
11,992 Posts
The Nairobi Central Railway station being over a century old today, was state of the art then. This is more or less an agemate of the Union Station in Washington DC. However, its unfair to compare the two stations, just like you cannot compare Kenya and the US in the early 1900s. In effect Kenya was nowhere (little known) on the world map then.
Umeenda mbali. Look at Maputo, Harare, Bulawayo, Dakar, The major SA cities stations built roughly in the same time period...even Kampala got a better station than Nairobi. But as you said, we must have been a spot in the middle of nowhere to warrant a grand station.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
I came across a picture from one of my history books. You are right that the current station did get built around 1906 but it was not an extension nor renovation. It was built in front of the old station which was later torn down. The initial station most likely stood where we have the boarding platform today. Here is the station in 1908. View attachment 825079

I'm really not a fan of the current station though. Colonialists were putting up much grander iconic structures elsewhere and this is all they could come up with for Nairobi?
If they only found a way to integrate the clock tower into the new station back then. But I bet most of them weren’t really seeing if the structure would last.

Reactions: Kenguy

·
Engineer d's art't enjoys
6,416 Posts
Umeenda mbali. Look at Maputo, Harare, Bulawayo, Dakar, The major SA cities stations built roughly in the same time period...even Kampala got a better station than Nairobi. But as you said, we must have been a spot in the middle of nowhere to warrant a grand station.
I don't see how those stations are much grander than the Nairobi one other than personal tastes in buildings.

·
Registered
11,992 Posts
I don't see how those stations are much grander than the Nairobi one other than personal tastes in buildings.
Nairobi station is a stone warehouse. Barely any aesthetics applied. You seriously can't compare with the stations down south.

Maputo station.

Bulawayo station.

I guess we have different tastes.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Nairobi station is a stone warehouse. Barely any aesthetics applied. You seriously can't compare with the stations down south.

Maputo station.

View attachment 837123

Bulawayo station.

View attachment 837124

View attachment 837181

You could say that. Be that as it may, that's our HISTORY.
It may not be Grand, but having shaped our journey up to now, it deserves a place in ours as well as future ❤ of this NATION
Provenance, TRUMPS taste

·
Engineer d's art't enjoys
6,416 Posts

Maputo station.

View attachment 837123

Bulawayo station.

View attachment 837124

View attachment 837181

Maputo is a portuguese styled building of the 19th century. while Nairobi is a British styled building of the 19th century. Bulawayo and Harare are different forms of British styled architecture of the 19th century similar to the former Nakumatt Downtown. Anyway, the KR headquarters is a much grander building than those Southern African ones IMO.

Reactions: Ukweli

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
What’s going on in the project? We cannot continue having projects in approved status forever. If they won’t happen we should take them out of this forum, because there no need for endless speculation about what could be. Just my thoughts. Of course when it actually starts we will all see it and then can add it here. We’ve been chattering about this for endless ages.

·
Registered
285 Posts
What’s going on in the project? We cannot continue having projects in approved status forever. If they won’t happen we should take them out of this forum, because there no need for endless speculation about what could be. Just my thoughts. Of course when it actually starts we will all see it and then can add it here. We’ve been chattering about this for endless ages.
Relax. Rome was not built in a day.

·
Mnadhimu Mkuu
1,006 Posts

There were some kiosks and eateries right next to Technical University of Kenya/ Kenya polytechnic..which have now been demolished and the area fenced off.

Couldn't get a clear picture of the Construction Notice Board because of police presence, but it reads that they will be constructing the Headquarters of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Trade at this place under the New Railway City Project

·
Registered
117 Posts
View attachment 1047141

View attachment 1047146

View attachment 1047148

There were some kiosks and eateries right next to Technical University of Kenya/ Kenya polytechnic..which have now been demolished and the area fenced off.

Couldn't get a clear picture of the Construction Notice Board because of police presence, but it reads that they will be constructing the Headquarters of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Trade at this place under the New Railway City Project

·
Registered
94 Posts
For an enormous project like this, patience is indeed needed. There is a tonne of planning behind the scenes that will have to happen before there are actual boots on the ground. I'm hoping to see this dream of a magnificent Railway city become a reality in the middle of Nairobi CBD, hopefully in my lifetime, but most likely will take years if not decades. For perspective, here is a somewhat similar project in Stuttgart, Germany and what the residents have had to deal with for over a couple of decades now.

121 - 138 of 138 Posts