SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As we know, we have a few large slums in kenya, which are crying for help, so i wanted to dedicate this forum to that cause:
i know UN-Habitat is working on the following project, but are there any other?

Kenya Slum Upgrading Project (KENSUP)

Kenya's capital city Nairobi has some of the most dense, unsanitary and insecure slums in the world. Almost half of the city's population lives in over 100 slums and squatter settlements within the city, with little or inadequate access to safe water and sanitation.

Branch:
Partner: Government: Government of Kenya
Local Authority: Nairobi City Council
International Organizations: Cities Alliance, UN-HABITAT
Donor:
Theme:

Cost: US$300,000

Background

Kenya's capital city Nairobi has some of the most dense, unsanitary and insecure slums in the world. Almost half of the city's population lives in over 100 slums and squatter settlements within the city, with little or inadequate access to safe water and sanitation. Housing conditions in slums are deplorable and most residents have no form of secure tenure. The Kenya Slum Upgrading Programme (KENSUP) is the result of a meeting in November 2000 between the then President of Kenya and the Executive Director of UN-HABITAT at which the Executive Director offered to spearhead a slum upgrading programme for Kenya starting with Nairobi's largest slum, Kibera. The programme was jointly funded by the UN-HABITAT/World Bank Cities Alliance and the Government of Kenya. The Grant agreement was signed in July 2002. A Memorandum of Understanding was signed between the Minister of Roads, Public Works and Housing and UN-HABITAT's Executive Director on 15 January 2003. This marked the starting point of the Preparatory Phase of the programme, which is jointly funded by the Government of Kenya and the Cities Alliance. The objective of the programme is to improve the overall livelihoods of people living and working in slums through targeted interventions to address shelter, infrastructure services, land tenure and employment issues, as well as the impact of HIV/AIDS in slum settlements. The process started with the preparation of programme documents, which outlined the elements of the programme, institutional arrangements and a logical framework for implementation.

Activities
i) Institutional arrangements for implementation - The following institutional structures have been established:

* Inter-Agency Coordination Committee (IACC) with membership of the Ministry of Roads, Public Works and Housing, the Ministry of Lands and Settlement, the Ministry of Local Government, the Ministry of Water and the Nairobi City Council;
* A national KENSUP Secretariat at the Ministry of Roads, Public Works and Housing;
* Programme Implementation (PIU) at the Housing Development Department of the Nairobi City Council;
* Settlement Programme Implementation Unit (SPIU) to be based in each of the settlements;
* A Settlement Executive Committee (SEC) made up of community members in each settlement.

(ii) Social and Economic mapping - The Social and Economic mapping exercise has resulted in:

* An Actors Survey that has documented the various actors in the 12 villages in Kibera slum;
* Social Mobilization activities that have been undertaken through numerous meetings to sensitize the communities on slum upgrading;
* A Communication/Media Strategy to ensure that all aspects of the Programme are effectively communicated to all stakeholders operating in Kibera;
* A Social and Economic Profile of Kibera documented by Research International, an international consulting firm.

(iii) Physical Mapping - A digitized base map of Kibera features:

* Detailed information showing the physical features of the 12 villages comprising the slum;
* Detailed information on structures in Kibera, describing ownership, use and type of structure (permanent or temporary);
* A typical layout for Kibera-Soweto showing the rearrangement of structures to lessen density and provide services.

(iv) Decanting site - A decanting site, provided by the Government, is being prepared. The decanting site will house the residents of Kibera who will have to be moved to make way for upgraded infrastructure and services.

IF THIS THREAD ALREADY EXISTS, PLEASE DELETE MINE, SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
28/09/2009 – The government requires over 800 billion shillings to upgrade homes in slums areas in the country.

To this end the government and development partners have initiated the Kenya Slums Upgrading Programme (KENSUP) whose first phases include improvement of houses in slum areas of Nairobi, Mombasa and Kisumu, while the second phase will cover other provincial towns including Eldoret and Thika.

Vision 2030

Housing minister Soita Shitanda said the plan was part of the government’s efforts to achieve Vision 2030. The Minister, who was speaking at the Kisumu Housing Expo, said that there is need to develop Kisumu’s property market as the region has been mooted to become the headquarters of the East Africa Community.

Shitanda said the ministry is implementing housing projects in Kisumu’s informal settlements through KENSUP which aims at improving the lives and living conditions of about 5.4 million slum dwellers in all Kenyan urban slums through systematic improvement of living environment.

He said the Government has drafted a Bill that will address the problems between landlords and tenants.

Kisumu Mayor Sam Okello urged investors to construct more houses and hostels in the Lake side town to meet the increasing demand for accommodatio

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
even though these new buildings somewhat seems to be cheap, at least it is a start, but at the same time, if we are doing to do something, why not build something that will last long, beautiful, livable and enjoyable?

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
even though these new buildings somewhat seems to be cheap, at least it is a start, but at the same time, if we are doing to do something, why not build something that will last long, beautiful, livable and enjoyable?
I am not sure I follow what you are trying to say, i.e when you talk of building long-lasting beautiful houses? The houses in Kibera upgrading project are pretty decent.
Anyway, concerning similar projects, there is actually one, towards Athi River if i remember well, and some families have already been settled. The only hitch is that the houses are too far from town, or a place where the families can find work.
IMHO, the ideal solution to this slum quagmire is to revive the Nyayo-era industrial estates.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I am not sure I follow what you are trying to say, i.e when you talk of building long-lasting beautiful houses? The houses in Kibera upgrading project are pretty decent.
Anyway, concerning similar projects, there is actually one, towards Athi River if i remember well, and some families have already been settled. The only hitch is that the houses are too far from town, or a place where the families can find work.
IMHO, the ideal solution to this slum quagmire is to revive the Nyayo-era industrial estates.

·
Still Comin' Out Strong
15,956 Posts
Cheap mid/high-rises, or basically commie blocks, could potentially be the best way to get rid of the slums, and of course add some greenery around the area too, and over the course of years improve public transportation in the area and then you've got a beautiful, liveable place.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Youth Empowerment Programme in Kibera

Last night I launched a lighting project in Kibera. From independence, this is the first time Government has reached Kibera and we promise that it is here to stay.

My Government has embarked on several projects to upgrade Kibera. The National Youth Service under the Ministry of Devolution has been deployed in Kibera to also build toilets and clean up sewerage systems where at least 3,000 Kibera youth have been employed to work alongside the NYS team as part of the Youth Empowerment Programme through which they earn salaries.

This youth project will be extended for another six months to complete the work of cleaning and upgrading the slum. After the end of the NYS programme, the Kibera youth will be empowered to sustain the projects started in the area. Tools like brick making machines will be handed over to the youth so that they can use them for income generating activities. The posho mills currently being run by NYS in Kibera will be handed over to the youth groups and an arrangement will be made with the National Cereals and Produce Board so that they get maize at subsidised prices.

A stadium will also be built on the grounds where we held the meeting so that Kibera youth can have their own sporting ground. Kibera will also have free WiFi which will allow talented youth to use the internet for beneficial purposes.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I know the Kibera cleanup program ran into some legal issue but I hope it gets on track soon. I wish they would incorporate some of what Ethiopia is doing to clean up their slums. They encouraged people to start small savings and over time they are given loans to buy apartments being built in slum areas.

They keep making monthly payments but one day they will end up owning their apartments. A sense of ownership will encourage these people to take care of the new apartments/condos.

I however want the Kibera plan to include a little twist. Back in the 90's when Clinton created the US welfare program, they kind of took poor people dumped them in one place with subsidized housing. They would take a whole apartment complex, turn it into subsidized housing and have poor people on welfare move in. Those places soon turned into Ghettos.

Someone later came up with a better idea (Section 8) to still help these people but instead of dumping them in one place kind of sprinkle them in the community.

That is what I am hoping happens with Kibera. Instead of building a bunch of highrises and dumping all these people in those apartments, lets build a mixed community. Have highrises but also build middle income houses in the same area(Kibera) and move some of the people into other affordable highrises elsewhere.. (I know proximity to work and poor transport has to be dealt with)

The poor people will benefit from middle class services, better roads, water, better Schools, better hospitals, Malls etc. If we just replace the slums with high rises the place will get run down again.

It is not just houses we need to change, it is a way of life. If a young man wakes up in the morning and sees their doctor neighbor leaving for work every morning, they will aspire to be a doctor. If all they see when they wake up is a bunch of crooks on every corner, it is a whole different story

·
Registered
628 Posts
With economic empowerment high rises can still be built for only Kibera people without. Constructing an export processing zone in Kebera will transform Kibera overnight. EPZ pay well and does not take long to train workers. The high rise apartments can be part of EPZ housing project for their workers (Kiberians) who can use their salary for "rent to own" purchase.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
how do you share you tube videos?
click the video url on youtube and copy paste it between:

[youtube.] [/youtube.] ...minus the periods at the end.

for example, this is what will come up after copy pasting the url

http://youtu.be/q4y1ypgttwU

remove the http:// and the . between u&b in the youtu.be.
then the / between e&q should be deleted and moved to [/youtube]

so it will be something like this.

Reactions: jeremyt

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
wow! this man is so hands on.
now am starting to say that my vote didn't go to waste.

·
Registered
13,061 Posts
Great video and i really enjoyed seeing that huge transformation which i hope will continue. But i didn't hear them talking about building a place to recycle the huge amounts of waste generated in Kibera. Or building of trash receptors where residents could go and throw their trash so that collection by the youths could be simpler and as well generate them additional funds in selling the recycled materials.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
wow! this man is so hands on.
now am starting to say that my vote didn't go to waste.

You don't get to see politicians doing what they were elected to do everyday.
This guy could have easily send some low level officials to deal with the Kibera filth but instead he's out there.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Nice video! Is that part of the Kibera Railway Relocation Programm or a diffrent programm? I really liked the design approach of the Railway Relocation housing are there any news about the progress there?

·
Registered
13,061 Posts
Reactions: Aaraldi
1 - 20 of 109 Posts