Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
美国: Rep KE
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UON - Kisumu Campus

Construction work is ongoing at University of Nairobi, Kisumu Campus Complex. Upon completion, Kisumu Campus Complex will enable University of Nairobi, a World Class University to improve student experience significantly by offering state-of-the-art facilities and modern learning and teaching spaces for staff and students. The project will also accommodate the expected increase in student population.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I think 66% is not a realistic figure.

I don't even think they are 50% done. Anyway, these are April 2015 photos of the construction.

It looks really ugly (according to me and a few of my friends) I hope it will change after completion.

Just where exactly in Kisumu is it located
Afro Circus, it's in the middle of the CBD on Oginga Odinga Rd besides Al Imran Plaza next to the KCB round-about. If you know where British Council (defunct) was then building caresses it as seen in these pictures.

·
Registered
14,258 Posts
I don't even see a crane. This building will take a while before all 17 floors are complete. Plus it looks like there might be some shoddy work going on...

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
This building should have been completed long time ago. It's been like that for a while, larger building started after it are done. Did UoN run out of funds? Honestly, I think this campus ideology is misplaced. There's Maseno in Kisumu, it makes no sense to have another public university in Kisumu if we want it to grow and succeed. This idea of having a public university campus in every town isn't progressive. I also doubt quality and other issues. Rather, public universities should have geographical catchment areas to make them grow in strength. Egerton and Nakuru, Eldoret and Moi and Eldoret, kisumu and Maseno, Bondo and Jaramaogi, Nairobi has a UoN, KU, etc.

Universities should only grow within their geographical catchment, for example Maseno shouldn't leave Kisumu.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Sorry abckris but this is a misplaced argument. Moism made us think that Universities are just suppose to be a handful, and that the president was to be the Councillor of all universities. Because of this, there's stiff competition for the few facilities available and so most High schools teach kids to pass exam so that their candidates can secure the few spots in the campuses.

Take an example of the US, there are universities/colleges literally, everywhere. No one needs to move from state to state in search of a good university, and if you have to move, you'll be required to pay more than twice the tuition as an out-of-state student.

In Kenya we need to have even more universities. I have an uncle who made his son repeat twice after getting B- in KCSE. The third try, their results were cancelled for cheating and he got a 'Y'. You can imagine the total depression the child went through and is still going through. Thanks to the fact that he can't get a direct spot in any public university!

The mentality engraved in Kenyans is that B (plain) and above is what takes a child to a university, thanks largely, to the fact that chances are few in those universities. Even those who make it end up doing courses that they don't like. AGAIN because of the few chances. You find a potential doctor taking Education/Teaching because he didn't score an A (plain). What a pity!

Quality is relative my friend, if we have good checks and balances, then issues like the Nairobi Aviation college will never arise. But that should not be a hindrance for universities to be established in every town. This should actually be a wake-up call to the government to tighten its regulations.

This building should have been completed long time ago. It's been like that for a while, larger building started after it are done. Did UoN run out of funds? Honestly, I think this campus ideology is misplaced. There's Maseno in Kisumu, it makes no sense to have another public university in Kisumu if we want it to grow and succeed. This idea of having a public university campus in every town isn't progressive. I also doubt quality and other issues. Rather, public universities should have geographical catchment areas to make them grow in strength. Egerton and Nakuru, Eldoret and Moi and Eldoret, kisumu and Maseno, Bondo and Jaramaogi, Nairobi has a UoN, KU, etc.

Universities should only grow within their geographical catchment, for example Maseno shouldn't leave Kisumu.

·
Mwafrika
3,784 Posts
And yet another Kisumu whose vibe died out. Is it that Nairobi projects tend to steal all the lime light or did the project freeze up

·
Registered
320 Posts
Omera JaKisumo, It appears you're struggling to post pictures here. Never mind, I did too the fist time. Unfortunately this forum and almost all other forums are not as intuitive as Facebook or other Google+.

I use Flickr to upload photos online and post the URL with a .jpg here. A .jpg URL is like (notice the end of this URL): https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5775/23351032622_40d549eb79_c.jpg

To do that
  1. open a Flickr account
  2. upload your photos there (make sure they are public) when uploading the default is always PRIVATE, change that.
  3. The most "difficult" part: get the URL of the picture from what they call BBcode. This forum explains this so well.
  4. Post here using these tags

·
Registered
38 Posts
Updates!!

I was really excited & rooting for the completion of this project; especially with the design which incorporated/ preserved the original building. Standard Chartered Bank Eld. has an old nice British Brick Architectural design, if they were ever to develop on the property I'd wish they'd borrow from the design.

They will ruin the preservation idea if a scaled down version (not the original 17Flr) building is adopted instead. It is a landmark concept and would look much better than the render, just like the arusha building with tiny houses at the top.

Preservation of buildings/ structures with historical significance will play major role in the future when shaping city timeline and tourism.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.