Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Why go with in your own opinion and just look up the factual data on Google?

Does your opinion change the facts? No...

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jasonhouse I live in Charlotte, but moving back to Tampa soon .And while it is growing it's got 3-5 high rises going up while Tampa has 20-25.. That's a huge difference ..

Raleigh has nothing on any Florida city..

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I moved to Tampa from Raleigh and the area is growing very quickly, but it is all suburban. They are doing some stuff in the downtown area, but nothing special. Raleigh is horrible and I still can't figure out why it is growing.

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
I agree with Lakelander's query.

B/C, otherwise, this is going to turn into another whose got the best skyline thread (best according to what...); i.e., "fastest growing" according to who and which information.

For example, "fastest growing" denotes % change, i.e., if a city has 10,000 people and doubles to 20,000 the following year, it grew by 100%. But who cares, b/c its still a town of 20,000 people.

To illustrate, Orlando metro grew by 60,000 just last year and Tampa grew by something like 50,000 (roughly-- correct me if I'm wrong). Both metros sport over 2M each (Tam. 2.5M). THis means Orlando ranks higher than Tampa for rate of growth. As for Miami metro, it would have to add over 150,000 to keep the same "pace" with Orlando, b/c Miami metro has 5.5M people.

But if Chicago lets say grew by 60,000 people, a metro that has roughly 8M, noone would notice b/c of its existing overall size.

Someone needs to find out which metros added the most people, i.e., raw numbers, and not % of growth.

I know that Atlanta no less than 6 years ago was issuing like 50K new home permits to Orlando's 30K. It made Orlando's growth pale in comparison.

statistics.....

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took John F advice and went to google.. And by population Las Vegas is first and Phoenix is 8th..

So as far as growth Phoenix is doing well..

Then Lakelander brought up a great point so,

I was looking more for skyskraper growth amongst the bigger metro's?

Now that I thought about it my new rank is top 5 for buildings being built.

Miami
New York
Las Vegas
Chicago
Tampa

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Well in that note, neither is Orlando.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lakelander said:
Building wise, I don't think Tampa is in the top 5. From what's been mentioned on the forums over the past couple of years.....(in no particular order)

New York City
Chicago
Miami
Las Vegas
Atlanta
I agree I did pick 3 out of 5 and agree with you.. I am a little bias for Tampa though.. But Chicago is definitely a potential top 5 as well..

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tampamobster21 said:
Yes since I visit mostly the Florida forum, I gave Orlando the spot. But they might of done well in the percentage of population top 10 in the country..

Side note nothing better than the New York-Chicago-Miami forums.. :eek2:

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I agree I did pick 3 out of 5 and agree with you.. I am a little bias for Tampa though.. But Chicago is definitely a potential top 5 as well..
I don't think you can be biased about something like this. There's more towers going up in Chicago than Tampa, Jax and Orlando combined. Its a simple fact... no reason to discredit those places or play up our second tier cities booms for more than what they really are.

Correct. I'd say Tampa and Orlando, along with a few other cities, lead the second tier.

Yes since I visit mostly the Florida forum, I gave Orlando the spot. But they might of done well in the percentage of population top 10 in the country.
Percentage wise, Sarasota and Fort Myers would probably be tops in Florida.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
^^ like I said, "this still looks like a battle of truthiness." There may be facts in plain view that show what the reality is but as long as you believe your opinion is the reality instead, then it's the truth. (Stephen Colbert rules ;) )

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
like I said earlier, this is nothing more than another "whose got the best skyline" thread.

I can appreciate people being zealous for the city they live in, but you gotta post facts.

As for skyscraper growth, I actually did the research and tallied up a while back U/C, approved, and proposed numbers off of Emporis and Miami Metro is No.1. NYC is 2, and Chi. is 3. Vegas could be No. 4... I know Toronto is up there too (but they're Canada-- but also shouldn't be ignored)

And what does Orlando have to do with Lakelander stating that Tampa is not in the Top 5 in skyscraper growth???

1 - 20 of 28 Posts