SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What should new buildings be called? I'm not sure that "Beetham West" is quite right for a major new building in the city, indeed a new landmark.

As well as important people from recent history, there are merchant princes who deserve a name-check when it comes to naming buildings. I have an interest in the former big Liverpool shipping lines - Elder Dempster, Hall, Papayanni, De Larrinaga, Ellerman, Brocklebank, Lamport, Holt, Booth etc. Can't some of new buildings be named after these families/shipping lines, as recognition of the importance of these families/companies to the heritage of Liverpool? Many years ago I met a remaining member of the De Larrinaga family (and possibly the last, he was childless and they were dieing out), he still lived in a huge pile near Sefton Park - it's a pity if this dynastic heritage goes un-remembered.

There is a Cunard Building, (and Harrington Chambers???) but what of all the other dynasties? Could the new buildings on the Mann Island site perhaps be named after famous Liverpool shipping families?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
For gods sake, try not to encourage yet more Littlewoods/Moore family naming manias....about 10 years ago anything which moved in this city seemed to get a 'Moore's' name slapped on it.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed, you can get sick of one name. Beetham is such a name. Moores is another. I am asking for the grander heritage of Liverpool to be remembered, not for the name of just one family to be plastered on everything.

·
Just something
8,890 Posts
The Three Trashy Tarts .....

And what is wrong with `The Pedal Bin`, `The Sun Lounger` and `The Three Trashy Tarts` ..... it`s not as if we lack imagination :) :runaway:

:cheers:

`Eeastbygum Lanky Tower` and `Westisbestie` .....

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
I would rather see them named after the places we traded with...and maybe desire to trade with in the future?

I also like Pacific... continental etc

Most of the shipping companies will have had buildings of their own anyway, the ones that did and have been demolished should stay in the history books. Ther is a case for public and civic ones to reference past greats, as Wilberforce House did for example, but the difficulty for modern buildings is that most of the spec ones are shite.. and the ones built by the current adventurers usually name the buildings agter themselves anyway.

Who would decide these things as well? It was given to the council to name those white buildings and.....!

Would we see, rather than Holt Chambers and Ismay House, Mendela Court and Che Place?

Buildings, especially important or well liked ones end up with familiar names anyway... like the White Star building, was never actually named that... can't remember now writing this what it was, but it wasn't White Star.. but they built it and had their offices in there, so...

Radio City tower is still St Johns

The Catholic Cathedral or Paddy's wigwam are seen almost as often as it's proper name... The Irish Centre is not the Irish Centre at all

·
3,335 Posts
Pol great idea for a thread.

Firstly I would like to see a return of a buildings original name, Wellington Rooms is a great example, reference to it being the Irish Centre was ok when it was open, but not now.

Secondly there seems to be an obsession, with developers and organisations like Liverpool Vision, with 'Quarters' after 4 quarters the square is full so no more please!!

Thirdly new buildings and public spaces should celebrate local heroes not just people but organisations also. The Braddocks were a collection of council blocks in Everton which have now been demolished, I am not sure if there is anything left standing in Liverpool to celebrate that name?? other candidates might Dr. Duncan Street, Agnes Jones Square, Kitty Wilkinson Avenue, John Conteh Street, ICI Road, Kay Kelly Boulevard, Quentin Hughes Street.

·
3,335 Posts
KF it is called Albion House but I'm not sure if that is the original name, anybody know??

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
That was and stayed the 'formal' name all along.. White Star, pacific steam navigation etc where all familiar, popular names...

I discovered this only a few months ago actually. The owners where looking into 'returning' it to it's proper name (from PSNC) and unearthed the fact that it never was White Star, except in the notion of the whole city, and the whole world probably!

·
Let the Jam decide
2,172 Posts
How interesting. How about the history, The Rialto was a ballroom and cinema which was destroyed by fire in the riots. Its now shops and housing, but called Rialto

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Aye, and the 'Rotunda' on Scottie Rd is an oller!

How many folk call John lewis George henrry Lees and Atlantic Boulevard Great Howard St... has anybody ever called the St johns market St John's Precinct?

George's Dock Building?

I don't know many who have even said that they have travelled the inner ring road.. they go through Leeds St - the Strand and/or parlie.

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
LoL! The Littlewoods building probably!

Has Concourse House ever been known as anything other than "that fucking shithole by Limey"?

·
Disco and drugs trade
15,947 Posts
Tony Sebo said:
LoL! The Littlewoods building probably!

Has Concourse House ever been known as anything other than "that fucking shithole by Limey"?
Man in Liverpool near Worlds Apart "'scuse me mate, where's Liverpool Lime Street Station"

Me "See that tall horrible 60s building? just turn right before that, and there it is"

True story.

·
Just something
8,890 Posts
I was asked for the time once at the `Pier Head` bus terminal - I said `See that big clock?` (and it was actually working - although I think in fairness it sometimes wasn`t...) :)

·
Just something
8,890 Posts
100 Old Hall Street ..... opposite `Clarkes Basin.`

richie1878 said:
Know what you mean Tony, will The Bruntwood Plaza still remain JM centre or SJMB to people?
Surely you mean 100 Old Hall Street? :runaway:

Oh and this is of interest.....to the WHS/Tourism/freaks :)

http://www.liverpool.ndo.co.uk/oldhall/page6.html

"The only remaining buildings comprise a terrace of two storey, Grade II listed cottages at 91/95 Old Hall Street. Part of these buildings are approximately 200 years old and were originally used as coal merchant's offices. They stood on the side of Clarkes Basin, which, at the turn of the eighteenth century, was a terminus of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. The buildings were last used as laboratories in connection with the hospital.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeds_and_Liverpool_Canal

http://www.liverpool.ndo.co.uk/oldhall/page2.html
"Must we lose this historic link with Liverpool's commercial past?"

"The current owners - the Beetham Organization - argue that the building is 'generally out of keeping with the nature and scale of buildings in the area', and have submitted a Listed Building Consent application for its demolition. Yet nothing is proposed to be built on the site: just a paved area alongside the main entrance to the proposed nine-storey Radisson Hotel."

The application site is the northern boundary of the City's Commercial Quarter; its immediate neighbours include the telephone exchange at Lancaster House, the Littlewoods building at 100 Old Hall Street."

"The current owners - the Beetham Organization - argue that the building is 'generally out of keeping with the nature and scale of buildings in the area'"

You just have to laugh.

Too big, too small ..... and out of keeping!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts