1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Skybar Mod
24,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hotel + Apartments

Harbor

Mall

Construction on the N$400 million Waterfront development, which is expected to provide upmarket residential and business opportunities for the coastal town of Swakopmund, has started.

After a stand-still of a couple of years, the main role players of La Mer, Namibia Construction (builders of the project) as well as Safari Investment Namibia (owners of the La Mer property) and the developers, Windhoek Consulting Engineers, have started with the civil works on the project, which they hope to complete within 22 weeks.

The civil works comprises of three separate components, according to Dirk van der Merwe, from Windhoek Consulting Engineers. The first aspect of the contract is to build a platform; the second is to build a concrete retaining wall of about two meters in height, while the third phase is building a break-water and ski-water facility. The break-water facility will reach 200 metres into the ocean.

“Once the civil contract has been completed, the rest of the construction will follow,” says van der Merwe. He explains that the Waterfront will be home to a 16 000 square meter shopping centre, 29 luxurious residential units and a 100 bed hotel. The biggest clients in the shopping mall will allegedly be Checkers – with 2600 square meters – and Edcon, which is part of the Edgars Group – with 4400 square meters.

“The entire project will cost about N$400 million and we hope to be finished by the end of next year.”
Source

·
Requiscat en pace
8,051 Posts
We should've kept it. And annexed Botswana as well.

·
23,070 Posts
it just shows the power of SA retailers across the continent. The more AFRICA grows, the more the benefit for SA companies and therefore the more we grow. If things carry on as they are SA brands/retailers will dominate Africa at the expense of the global chains which have not moved.

·
Kiwi to the rescue
1,974 Posts
I think South Africa's retailers are defiantly something to watch out for on the continent, they are popping up like nobody's business

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
People talk about the domination, but there is one important fact that people keep forgetting.

In Nigeria for example, we have that domination. However there is one key factor to remember. That in Nigeria & in most African countries, formal retail is still nowhere near its potential.

So even though South Africa is dominating in the continent, these are the very very very early days in African retail. You cannot underestimate the importance of the systems, the logistics, the supply chain, the experience, branding etc and the capacity to expand.

However, what I am saying, is that Africa is nowhere near the desired level of investment in retail. I think South Africa & Morocco are the only countries that appear to have reached an advanced stage in formal retail. Even Morocco, I am not sure about. South Africa is the only one that I know beyond a reasonable doubt is a retail environment in the true sense.

So the market is still virgin and theoretically speaking, although South Africa is dominant today, theoretically speaking, it is even possible that South African retailers take the back seat in the future (I doubt this will happen, seeing as how they are being very proactive, but it is theoretically possible that the dominance that they have today in the early days, goes out the window)

·
23,317 Posts
On the contrary, one could argue that the fact that South Africa has a well-established retail environment could lead to retail domination across much of Sub-Saharan Africa due to the experience retailers have with running successful businesses and competing with each other. Competitors in other countries don't necessarily have that experience or access to the resources South African chains do.

·
Registered
10,593 Posts
South African retailers are set to dominate much of sub-saharan Africa..Glad Kenyan retailers are willing to defend their East African turf.

·
23,070 Posts
They have got the first footing in all these markets and that is what counts. when you see any new mall development across sub-saharan africa it is jam packed with SA retailers.

Shoprite, Game, Woolworths, Mr Price, Edgars, Jet, Steers, Nando's, Pick 'n Pay, Builders Warehouse, Nu Metro, Foschini Group, Truworths etc...

Interesting times

·
Registered
234 Posts
mwanamwiwa said:
South African retailers are set to dominate much of sub-saharan Africa..Glad Kenyan retailers are willing to defend their East African turf.
What r u on about? They r in EA big time nandos, steers, galitos, Stanbic, shoprite, MTN, Vodacom, DSTV....... The list goes on

·
Still Comin' Out Strong
16,190 Posts
It's nice, and lol at this whole retailers thing. I doubt Kenyan and SA retailers (the largest in SSA) will be the only major competitors or dominating say 20-30 years from now when other SSA nations have former retail markets large enough to bolster indigenous retailers (especially the larger nations like Nigeria & Ethiopia).:smug:

Remember, just because you're the largest and/or have an early entrance today doesn't mean one will always have that luxury.:p

·
23,070 Posts
èđđeůx;92370250 said:
It's nice, and lol at this whole retailers thing. I doubt Kenyan and SA retailers (the largest in SSA) will be the only major competitors or dominating say 20-30 years from now when other SSA nations have former retail markets large enough to bolster indigenous retailers (especially the larger nations like Nigeria & Ethiopia).:smug:

Remember, just because you're the largest and/or have an early entrance today doesn't mean one will always have that luxury.:p
To a degree... but you forget that these retailers that are swamping these countries now will have market dominence and the first footing, therefore power and leverage that they can use to continue to grow as they will be established brands and players. New brands will always come through, but once someone is strongly established it will be darn hard to remove them

1 - 20 of 20 Posts