Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
NASCAR and NFL Stadium in the Triad?

That would have been the case in the 1960s if Guilford county commissioners had not voted the proposal down. 1960s renderings of a sports complex on the Guilford/Forsyth county line showed a 60,000 seat NFL stadium, a 2.5 mile NASCAR track and a drag strip. The idea was very popular among Triad Residents and at the time and would have passed in a bond referendum but thanks to short sighted leaders, The Triad has no NASCAR track or NFL team today. More than 70% of residents in Greensboro, WInston-Salem and High Point based on polls supported paying taxes for this plan. BTW Foryth county leaders voted to place it on the bond referendum Another project that would have been on the bond referendum was a Triad park and zoo on the other side of I-40. This sounds very similar to the major league baseball attempt in the late 1990s...but I had no idea the Triad was SO close to having an NFL team and a NASCAR track. There are two rendering in todays News & Record. Another interesting tidbit is that in the late 60s NC had the ABA Carolina Cougars which was major league basketball at the time. The team had rotated games among venues in Charlotte, Greensboro and Raleigh. The team was based in Greensboro and Greensboro had the highest attendance numbers...the owner lost interest in the team and sold it despite strong crowds in Greensboro. If the Carolina Cougars had not been sold, Greensboro could have an NBA team today. A number of the ABA teams such as the Indiana Pacers merged with the NBA.

·
Registered
31 Posts
NBA teams are leeches these days! consider greensboro lucky it doesn't have pro basketball. The NBA and especially the NHL are in dire need of support from the fans.....cause nobody is watching.

Having an NFL team and a nascar team? Those leagues are doing well. However find it hard to believe that the NFL was thinking about bringing a team to NC back in the '60s.

You should think positively about the choices greensboro officials made back in the day. I have only been to greensboro a couple of times, but downtown looked great from the highway. I have heard that there are lots of bars/clubs in the vacinity too.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The NFL was a totally different beast in the 1960s. It wasn't "big time" yet the way MLB was at the time; even the NBA was a bigger deal at the time in most states. If the Triad had managed to get an NFL franchise, it probably would've ended up moving out of the Carolinas during the '70s when pro sports started to become a big-dollar industry. The only thing that would've saved it would have been the style of management the Packers pursued, which made it next to impossible to move the franchise.

Now, the NBA on the other hand... I can see that having worked in the Triad.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The NFL was a totally different beast in the 1960s. It wasn't "big time" yet the way MLB was at the time; even the NBA was a bigger deal at the time in most states. If the Triad had managed to get an NFL franchise, it probably would've ended up moving out of the Carolinas during the '70s when pro sports started to become a big-dollar industry. The only thing that would've saved it would have been the style of management the Packers pursued, which made it next to impossible to move the franchise.

Now, the NBA on the other hand... I can see that having worked in the Triad.
not nessisarily. In regards to NFL think about Greenbay, Wisconsin

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
^ As I said in my previous post, only Packers-style ownership could have kept a Triad team in place once the NFL hit the big time. But what is the likelihood that such an ownership structure would have emerged? Pretty low, I would guess. That's why Green Bay is such an extreme exception to the entire pro-sports ownership model, and why it's by far the least likely city in the country with a major pro team of any kind.

·
The Secret Word Is:
387 Posts
I told you about this years ago. Winston-Salem's historic Bowman Gray Stadium was actually a stop on the NASCAR tour until the early 1970's and Richard Petty became the first driver to win 100 races with his 100th win in Winston-Salem on August 22, 1969. The track was in need of replacement, if the city wanted to keep the tour date. Also Winston-Salem business leaders had NFL teams playing one game each year to sell-out crowds at Bowman Gray to raise money for local causes; in an attempt to convice a team to move there. A plan for a grand sports complex for the entire region was planned near Kernersville. The Denver Broncos and New England Patriots were considering moving to this complex to get a new stadium. Also there was some talk of getting an expansion MLB team for this complex and include a large basketball/enclosed arena, but MLB had other plans. After that, Winston-Salem upgraded Ernie Shore Field for Triple-A baseball, in an attempt to get a Triple-A team for one of the expansion teams. That didn't work. Then the city's economy changed and when it recovered in the mid-1990's, the business leaders returned with Don Beaver and met at the Hawthrone Inn in downtown Winston-Salem to plan out another failed attempt at MLB. After that Callahan (Winston-Salem architect) started another failed effort with a proposed downtown Major League Soccer Stadium in the heart of Winston-Salem. This one almost worked, but they couldn't sell enough PSLs and the site was sold to the PTRP Downtown Research Park.

·
Registered
265 Posts
^And now the tennis complex at LJVM is a no-go since Don Flow couldnt attract that ATP April tournament from Houston beacuse "April weather in Winston-Salem is too unpredictable". :eek:hno: it was really close to breaking ground...the city has seen the renderings.

·
Cory
3,403 Posts
FYI:

The Indiana Pacers, Denver Nuggets, NY/NJ Nets, and the San Antonio Spurs were the four ABA teams that merged into the NBA. There was a huge "fee" for these teams to join, which is why many of the old ABA teams didn't make the jump. Indianapolis held a telethon in order to raise the money. However, the NBA also "leached" money from those teams for years making their viability tough, which is why it had taken until the late 1980's early 1990's for these teams to become contenders. Only San Antonio has won the NBA Title of the four, but both the Pacers and the Nets have appeared in the Finals.

By the way, the old Kentucky Colonels and the Indiana Pacers were the top-two in attendence during the ABA and the Pacers won 3 ABA Titles during its historty.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Carolina Cougars

The history of the Carolina Cougars franchise began when the former Houston Mavericks ABA franchise was relocated to North Carolina in 1969. During the 1970s, North Carolina did not have a large primary metropolitan area to base a professional sports franchise, so the team's ownership decided to have the teams play its home games in Charlotte at the Charlotte Coliseum, Greensboro at the Greensboro Coliseum, and Raleigh at the Dorton Arena and Reynolds Coliseum as a regional team.
Early on, the Carolina Cougars were not especially successful on the court, posting a 42-42 record in the 1969-1970 season, a 34-50 record in 1970-1971, and a 35-49 record in 1971-1972. Only the '69-'70 Cougars managed to make the ABA playoffs but lost in the Eastern Division Semifinals (first round) to a much stronger Indiana Pacers team. In spite of this, the Cougars had a good fan following, particularly in Greensboro.
In 1972-1973, the Carolina Cougars hired retired ABA players Larry Brown and former Cougar Doug Moe as coaches. The '72-'73 Cougars were fairly talented and featured players Billy Cunningham, Joe Caldwell, and Mack Calvin. All three appeared in the ABA All-Star Game that season, and Cunningham was named the league's Most Valuable Player. Carolina went on to post a 57-27 record, which was the best in the ABA. The Cougars beat the New York Nets in their first-round playoff series 4-1, but lost a close series to the Kentucky Colonels 4-3 in the Eastern Division finals.
The 1973-1974 season proved to be the last for the Carolina Cougars in North Carolina. Due to injuries and internal squabbles, the '73-'74 Cougars posted a 47-37 record but was swept in the Eastern Division semifinals 4-0 by the Kentucky Colonels. Later in 1974, the Carolina Cougars were moved to Missouri and became the Spirits of St. Louis until the ABA folded in 1976. The Spirits of St. Louis were one of only two ABA teams to survive until the very end of the league but not join the NBA; the other was the Kentucky Colonels. (The Virginia Squires folded after regular season play ended but before the merger due to their inability to meet a league-mandated financial assessment after the season ended.) At the time of the ABA-NBA merger the team's owners planned to move the team to Salt Lake City, Utah to play as the Utah Rockies.
The Cougars were moderately successful overall and had more supportive fans than many other ABA franchises; nonetheless, even those elements were not enough to keep the Cougars from relocating.
Professional basketball would return to North Carolina in 1988 when the Charlotte Hornets entered the National Basketball Association, but the Hornets would eventually move to New Orleans in 2002. The NBA returned to Charlotte two years later when the Charlotte Bobcats began their inaugural NBA season in 2004-2005.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
^ Little wonder Charlotteans have such a hard time accepting pro basketball. I still hear people speak very fondly of the Cougars, somewhat wistfully of the Hornets, and downright disparagingly of the Bobcats. It's like someone found a handbook called "How to Ruin a Great Basketball City in Only Three Franchises".

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^ Little wonder Charlotteans have such a hard time accepting pro basketball. I still hear people speak very fondly of the Cougars, somewhat wistfully of the Hornets, and downright disparagingly of the Bobcats. It's like someone found a handbook called "How to Ruin a Great Basketball City in Only Three Franchises".
I think part of the reason was that it was more about the game and less about the money, player ego and building taxpayer arenas.

·
Registered
12,898 Posts
Any of you NASCAR fans make a trip to Austin Texas this month for the new race on the new track for Aussie style V8 rear drive action. OK You may not like it as much as your own series but it is the first time 400 Aussies and their machines will venture half way round the world in a few Jumbo jets to the USA. This weekend we just ran the Perth Western Australia round of our V8 Supercar series and they played video of the next round...the new circuit in Austin TX with a Chev SS NASCAR running around the track with one of our Commodore SS V8 Supercars. We still have four opening doors and real lights etc. Anyhow, for an experience just have a look OK...I mean, I will have to get up at 5am to watch on TV ! We seem to like similar things but yeah we are different. Look and see how your new Chev SS really competes against Fords, Mercedes and Nissans....Or go watch basket ball ?
I know this is not a Texas thread but everything is close in the USA compared to over here...I think where your at is pretty close ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts