SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
We've got a 51st State now? Man, have I been out of the loop.

(I get what you're saying, but Tampa Bay is a singular metropolitan region and not comparable to the other examples.)
Tampa Bay represents a region to me rather than just calling them Tampa. Would be like the DFW or Metroplex Cowboys

·
9,833 Posts
That's still not a state, especially when some of your samples are the Florida Marlins and Florida Panthers. But I digress.

In most of those examples the use of a State name is part of the effor to expand the appeal of the brand outside a single metropolitan area, especially in less populated areas like Utah and (then) Colorado. The Florida Marlins owners weren't shy about indicating they wanted to be known as THE state's team, using the name as a knock against the propsects for a Tampa Bay franchise and a cheap ploy to carry the brand outside of metro Miami.

The Titans state namesake was employed for similar purposes, especially after they played their first season in Memphis thinking that would pacify the fans there who were dissappointed Nashville was given the franchise over Memphis. That didn't work (attendance in Memphis lagged big time) and the team had to play a season in Vanderbilt's stadium the following year. Both years they were the Tennessee Oilers as the owners tried to again make their brand was bigger than the home city.

As a stadium I've been there for a Music City Bowl and think LP Field is quite nice. It's not the best, by far, but it is an efficent design with fair parking and most seats with optimum sight lines. It's a good size for the franchise and capable of handling an expansion if needed in the future. Seat colors are odd but have helped the venue gain some recognition. Many of the fans are also glad it's an outdoor venue. Titans fans want to liken themselves to Steeler fans and seemingly would prefer a game in the cold compared to a dome experience.

·
Namasté
1,012 Posts
We've got a 51st State now? Man, have I been out of the loop.

(I get what you're saying, but Tampa Bay is a singular metropolitan region and not comparable to the other examples.)
All those, including Tampa Bay, are simply examples of teams named after a region or state instead of a specific city--no reason why it shouldn't be included in that context. New England and "Carolina" are not states either.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
All those, including Tampa Bay, are simply examples of teams named after a region or state instead of a specific city--no reason why it shouldn't be included in that context. New England and "Carolina" are not states either.
That's all I was trying to say. Regional names.

·
Registered
125 Posts
IMO LP Field is just average as an NFL stadium. It does, however have a nice location. I like the way it is a bit seperated from downtown but still an easy walk across the bridge.

·
Registered
33,135 Posts
^^ Nice! :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Titans' stadium LP Field to be renamed Nissan Stadium

The Tennessee Titans have reached a naming rights deal with Nissan North America, and the team plans to name its home venue Nissan Stadium, according to sources familiar with the situation.

While financial terms of the agreement weren't immediately available, sources indicate it's an exclusive 20-year partnership between the two parties.

A press conference is expected to be held Thursday, when the deal will be officially announced, per sources.

The rebranding of the Titans' stadium, known as LP Field since 2006, is expected to start immediately.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2015/06/24/tennessee-titans-nissan-lp-field/29229831/

·
Registered
9,390 Posts
Nissan Stadium to get a $15 million upgrade consisting of the replacement of every seat and repairing of concrete expansion joints.

* The Metro Nashville Sports Authority voted unanimously last Wednesday (September 16) to issue the bonds for the renovations.
* The project is to be paid off by a deducted $1 portion of a 3 ticket tax that each fan pays to attend events within the stadium, as well as revenue that Metro collects from concession sales at the annual CMA Music Festival, which is held in the stadium.

Source: WKRN.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I can't help but think if they would have rotated that place 90 degrees so it opened up over the river and downtown just beyond it would have been much better. Not that it's bad now, it just seems like a missed opportunity.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I can't help but think if they would have rotated that place 90 degrees so it opened up over the river and downtown just beyond it would have been much better. Not that it's bad now, it just seems like a missed opportunity.
But that would have meant a nearly east-west field alignment, something that football teams don't like.

·
18,130 Posts

The Titans have begun the process of replacing all the seats inside Nissan Stadium.

West side seats are being cleared out on the 300 level, and crews are working to remove seats throughout the stadium, according to the team. All of the seats will be replaced in time for the Titans’ first preseason game in August.

The new seats, like the old, will be red and blue.

This project, which will cost Metro $15 million, is to be paid off by a dedicated $1 portion of a $3 ticket tax that each fan pays to attend events at Nissan Stadium, as well as revenue that Metro collects from concession sales at the annual CMA Music Festival, which is held at Nissan Stadium.
www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2016/02/12/titans-begin-replacing-nissan-stadium-seats/80300998/

·
Registered
26 Posts
Recent photo of Nissan Stadium after the moster truck show. The seats are almost finished and the new red trim is really looking good on the exterior. They have a few light post left to paint.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts