SkyscraperCity banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
12,020 Posts
Bring it! Looking forward to an awesome road trip for the occasion.

·
Registered
338 Posts
A few notes about upgrading the 22 year old Nissan Stadium are included in the following card I made....
It quotes comments the NFL Tennessee Titans controlling owner, Amy Adams, made within the past year. Bullets are....
  • She doesn't want a new stadium, just significant upgrades
  • She likes the way the Miami Dolphins upgraded their stadium recently
  • It has been estimated upgrades may cost up to $300,000,000.
  • The State of Tennessee has already approved a revenue stream that will cover some of the expenses.
  • It may be a year or two before the City of Nashville digs out of it's financial hole before serious work begins. Just raised property taxes 32% to be on par with other cities. The city has had trouble building infrastructure fast enough to keep up with the incredible growth and went into the red.
  • Should be good to go for the 2026 FIFA World Cup.
  • And there have been hints of holding a cold weather Super Bowl also.

It is not pretty to look at, but the beauty is in it's proximity to one of the nations premier party towns.

·
12,020 Posts
Any particulars to the type of improvements they're seeking? Do they want a canopy like Miami or just a lof the behind-the-scenes stuff?
It may be a year or two before the City of Nashville digs out of it's financial hole before serious work begins. Just raised property taxes 32% to be on par with other cities.
Holy schnikes that's a leap! Yeah, maybe not go to the well right away.

·
Registered
526 Posts
A few notes about upgrading the 22 year old Nissan Stadium are included in the following card I made....
It quotes comments the NFL Tennessee Titans controlling owner, Amy Adams, made within the past year. Bullets are....
  • She doesn't want a new stadium, just significant upgrades
  • She likes the way the Miami Dolphins upgraded their stadium recently
  • It has been estimated upgrades may cost up to $300,000,000.
  • The State of Tennessee has already approved a revenue stream that will cover some of the expenses.
  • It may be a year or two before the City of Nashville digs out of it's financial hole before serious work begins. Just raised property taxes 32% to be on par with other cities. The city has had trouble building infrastructure fast enough to keep up with the incredible growth and went into the red.
  • Should be good to go for the 2026 FIFA World Cup.
  • And there have been hints of holding a cold weather Super Bowl also.
Miami's renovation cost was $500 million and that was a reduction of 10,000 seats and a $150 million dollar roof. She wants to add 10,000 plus seats but a canopy seems unlikely for this stadium. I don't see how they could do the same for Nissan stadium at $200 million less than Hard Rock. Nissan stadium is more like Gillette in Foxborough than it is like Hard Rock in Miami.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Any particulars to the type of improvements they're seeking? Do they want a canopy like Miami or just a lof the behind-the-scenes stuff?
Holy schnikes that's a leap! Yeah, maybe not go to the well right away.
Not many particulars. I don't see a canopy working very well as the lighting would have to be rebuilt and it would only shade the western end of the stadium. "Fan experience' is the wording she used to described what she sees as important in an upgraded stadium. I'm not sure what Miami specifically did to improve fan experience.
The city has spent a lot of money in recent years replacing all seats in the stadium, new ribbon boards, upgraded sound system, a Wi-Fi network and aesthetic improvements to coincide with the Nissan Stadium naming (Nissan has a large plant in the burbs and their North American HQ is also in the suburbs). It's a fun place to watch a game.

EDIT; The 80,000 seat increased capacity mentioned above is a temporary expansion created by adding another 10,000+ bleacher seats in the end zones only if Nashville were named a World Cup host city.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Granted, I have not been to a Titans game since 2001 (right before I moved away from TN), but I thought it was a solid stadium. I am glad they want to they want to keep it. A football stadium in TN does not need a roof.

Not many particulars. I don't see a canopy working very well as the lighting would have to be rebuilt and it would only shade the western end of the stadium. "Fan experience' is the wording she used to described what she sees as important in an upgraded stadium. I'm not sure what Miami specifically did to improve fan experience.
The city has spent a lot of money in recent years replacing all seats in the stadium, new ribbon boards, upgraded sound system, a Wi-Fi network and aesthetic improvements to coincide with the Nissan Stadium naming (Nissan has a large plant in the burbs and their North American HQ is also in the suburbs). It's a fun place to watch a game.

View attachment 363530

EDIT; The 80,000 seat increased capacity mentioned above is a temporary expansion created by adding another 10,000+ bleacher seats in the end zones only if Nashville were named a World Cup host city.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Granted, I have not been to a Titans game since 2001 (right before I moved away from TN), but I thought it was a solid stadium. I am glad they want to they want to keep it. A football stadium in TN does not need a roof.
I dunno, Nashville would seem like a great place to host Superbowl. Stadium gonna need a roof for that, though.

·
12,020 Posts
Meh, if they can host a Super Bowl outdoors in metro NYC then they can do it in Nashville. It was just above freezing when Atlanta United played in Nashville on Feb 29 but still a clear day and Broadway was still packed. I'd imagine the biggest issue for them would be the minimalist settings for all the concession areas and aging premium seating areas. Regardless of roof, canopy, or open air design they might need a Dolphins Stadium-style makeover of everything behind the seating bowl in order to attract the next generation of NFL monies.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I don't think Nashville will build a domed stadium anytime in the next couple of decades, especially if they make significant upgrades to the current stadium. The only benefits to doming the stadium would be hosting a final four and some major college football playoff events and there could be some major concerts and political conventions. And one more benefit would be to provide a more comfortable environment for the next generation of fans to encourage their support for the home sports franchises. But it wouldn't be enough to justify a billion dollar plus investment of city funds.

A cold weather Super Bowl in Nashville is not a wild dream. The likelihood of a major snow storm or bitter cold is minimal. I have no doubt that any significant snowfall would be removed from the streets and sidewalks in a hurry. Nashville is excellent at providing a secure and safe environment for major events (200,000 per day for the 3 day NFL Draft; red carpet, VIP events such as the CMA Awards; college football bowl games).

And hotels are not a problem....several 5 Star hotels in that picture....

So all would have a great time. I think it will happen in the next decade.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Some interesting news about the ongoing, behind the scenes discussions regarding major upgrades to the 21 year old stadium...from the TENNESSEAN 12/17/2020...
Nissan Stadium is poised for major renovations in the coming years, including a 100-acre mixed-used development that would bring a new entertainment hub and housing options to its campus.

Mayor John Cooper and the Titans, in talks for a stadium deal since spring, are going public this week with the discussion as they say they're ready for community input.

The stadium project, with an emphasis on creating a "neighborhood," is designed to act as a catalyst for the city’s bigger vision for East Bank of the Cumberland River and further bond the franchise to Nashville.
There are apparently no renderings or sketches, but I suppose those will come after the public input phase.

Think Wrigley Field's Wrigleyville. The concept includes riverfront parks, green space, housing, offices, retail and restaurants – and possibly one or two hotels.

Financial details are slim, but it will take state legislation to make it happen. Cooper and Titans officials said the development will be privately funded and will generate millions in new tax revenue annually to fund stadium upgrades – mitigating the city's financial burden.
It's promising to see that efforts are being made to at least begin and continue talks regarding the upgrades. Some indication of the eventual scope of the ultimate project was stated as follows...

The city's lease agreement with the team makes Metro responsible for upkeep at the stadium, as it previously did for Bridgestone Arena. A 2017 study on the aging stadium found a need for nearly $300 million in improvements over the next 20 years, from upgrading old technology, scoreboard and video displays to fixing the mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems.

But changes will go beyond those upgrades, said Gil Beverly, the team's senior vice president and chief marketing and revenue officer. Fans, he said, want better amenities and better access. .....

Currently, Nissan offers a narrow range of experiences. The Titans want to diversify that.
More standing room. More premium options. But also more inclusive club areas. More screens throughout the facility. All-you-can-eat. And the surrounding development would provide pre- and postgame opportunities to encourage people to stick around.
"It'll be sort of the place where you're going to want to be," Beverly said. "It'll be more of a destination for your Sunday, as opposed to just come in and watch the game and get out."
There is a lot of room for urban development (no baseball stadium) in those parking lots;

If this gets seriously set in motion soon, don't count out Nashville's chances at hosting 2026 FIFA World Cup games.

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Well it sounds like nothing is imminent for the stadium itself, but this is rather a privately funded entertainment district used to generate tax revenue, which could be used to fund stadium upgrades.

Although the Titans really should be funding the stadium upgrades too. Most cities just don't have the money to fund major renovations to professional sports facilities without dramatically raising taxes, which will make those areas less desirable to live in (see California and the exodus to Texas, Arizona, Nevada, and Boise)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Some interesting news about upgrades to the stadium itself came out today in the form of an e-mailed survey to Titans season ticket owners (me) with a number of renderings of possible improvements to help improve fan experience. Some of the highlights included;
  • The addition of what looks like in the renderings, but not specifically mentioned in the e-mail, a new concourse at the top level with a roof over it. The roof doesn't seem to be adequate for shading the fans in the upper section, but should give the stadium some style points. A point was made, I believe, in the NBJ that the City wants the stadium to be ready for the World Cup in 2026.
  • An events center, apparently at the prime, south entrance is proposed and will feature pre and post game food and beverage, games, live entertainment, video boards and views of the stadium.
  • There will be multiple options for regular ticket holders to sign up for club features, such as a climate controlled club room with concessions, beverages, TV screens just for non-full membership club members.
  • Additional club rooms, for actual club members, are being added
  • There are other additions to seating apparently in the end zone area (may bump capacity to a few thousand over 70,000) and some of these will allow loge seating (first card, center left picture) where you sit in in your bleacher seat in front of a counter and partake of various beverages. It will have some standing room only stands, also.
  • There seemed to be some hints of some modern architectural embellishments.
  • Who knows what else?

It looks to be a significant upgrade with 'fan experience' the priority. I suggested on the survey I was willing to signup for the regular season ticket hold club option.

·
12,020 Posts
... and look more like Paul Brown Stadium in Cincy or The Linc in Philly.

Reactions: Chevy114

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I wish we had more shading from the blistering hot sun here in Tampa, so glad they learned from our mistake!

·
20,026 Posts
Gov. Bill Lee calls for state funds to be used for Titans' Nissan Stadium upgrades

Momentum continues to build for long-anticipated updates to the Tennessee Titans' Nissan Stadium, improvements both state and Nashville city leaders have now committed to help make a reality.

This week, Gov. Bill Lee elevated the initiative as one of his legislative priorities for the year, calling for the General Assembly to fund a bill that would divert roughly $2 million a year in state sales tax revenue to be used for upgrades to the 22-year-old stadium.

The legislation, which had stalled in the House this year due to funding concerns, would allow the Nashville Sports Authority to collect the state’s share of sales tax for tickets, food, merchandise and other items sold at the Titans facility — which it owns — in order to pay for upgrades.

If the Titans' and city's plans come to fruition to develop the 130 acres around the stadium into a bustling area with residential, retail and dining options, the state expects to forego as much as $10 million in annual sales tax revenue from the stadium complex.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts