SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is this for real?!?!? And if so, why would he do this? Isn't this like biting the hand that feeds you? I am scratching my head on this one.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3982830,00.html

Nasrallah provokes Iran: No such thing as Persian civilization

"Today there is no such thing as Persian civilization in Iran. There is an Islamic civilization in Iran. There is (prophet) Muhammad's religion in Iran," Hezbollah Secretary-General Hassan Nasrallah said in a YouTube video which angered many in the Islamic Republic.

The head of the Lebanese Shiite group went as far as saying that the leader of Iran's Islamic revolution, Ayatollah Khomeini, as well as Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, are of Arab descent.

Nasrallah's YouTube video

"Khomeini is an Arab and the son of an Arab who is a descendant of Muhammad. Khamenei is a descendant of the Arab dynasty of Muhammad's descendants," he said.

In the video, Nasrallah also addressed the civil unrest that followed the disputed presidential elections of June 12, 2009 and praised Khamenei's handling of the crisis. "Iran – the regime, government and people were blessed with a wise, courageous and merciful leader in the imam Khamenei," said the Hezbollah chief.

The comments were made in two separate speeches delivered by Nasrallah. It is not known who posted the video on YouTube, but some estimate it may be elements trying to drive a wedge between Iran and Hezbollah in the aftermath of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's recent visit to Lebanon.

The remarks elicited numerous responses, particularly from Iranian bloggers and internet surfers abroad. A group of Iranian exiles even set up a Facebook page titled, "We, Iranian, hate Nasrallah." More than 6,000 people have already joined the online protest against Nasrallah.

The "Green Embassy Campaign," which was set up by Iranian diplomats who defected to the West, called Nasrallah's comments "worrying" and "baseless." They said the remarks are indicative of the price the regime in Tehran is willing to pay in order to be considered the leader of the Islamic world, even at the expense of Persian history.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Well he can say that and nothing will happen to him because the Iranian government probably takes it as compliment that he says Iran is all Arab. Iranian government hates everything Persian, which is why they have been trying to change the culture to make it more similar to Arabs.

Iranian people were quite offended though.

There's now a Facebook page about it: http://www.facebook.com/pages/We-Iranians-hate-Hassan-Nasrallah/143789822336016

It's 4 days old, but already over 7000 people joined it. It's growing a lot, because when I went on it this morning it had like 5000 people.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
^^
nothing new ,, he is an idiot ,, Iranian knows that ,,
beside Islamists been saying that for ever ,, there where nothing before Islam , we were all savage cannibals then Islam came and saved us :eek:hno:

oh ,, ya ,, i didn't watch the Video ,,

·
22,342 Posts
It's about time that the Persians take back their civilisation.

Why are we, the various people who were forced into Islam through conquest still believing in this godamned excuse for a religion beats me!

·
Smirk4Life
1,745 Posts
I have no idea how people still listen to this idiot!

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Well he can say that and nothing will happen to him because the Iranian government probably takes it as compliment that he says Iran is all Arab. Iranian government hates everything Persian, which is why they have been trying to change the culture to make it more similar to Arabs.

There's now a Facebook page about it: http://www.facebook.com/pages/We-Iranians-hate-Hassan-Nasrallah/143789822336016

It's 4 days old, but already over 7000 people joined it. It's growing a lot, because when I went on it this morning it had like 5000 people.
I love how Iranians keep saying this, how in the WORLD is the current culture of the Islamic Republic in ANYWAY like that of the Arabs?!? Shiite culture is almost completely a product of the Safavids and it's modern incarnation is completely and uniquely Iranian...if anything the culture of Arab Shiites has more to do with Iran than the Arab societies which they live in!

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
It's about time that the Persians take back their civilisation.

Why are we, the various people who were forced into Islam through conquest still believing in this godamned excuse for a religion beats me!
I am in no way a defender or believer of Islam, or any religion for that matter, but despite it's drawbacks Islam has contributed IMMENSELY to world civilization. No Seljuks! No Ottomans! No Memlukes! Where would Turkey be without Islam?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Oh, and correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't Turks brought into the region as slave warriors during the Abbasid Caliphate? If that's the case then there wouldn't be any
turks in the region had it not been for Islam!

·
Banned
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I guess this makes some sense, because Persian culture has many vestiges of the pre-Islamic period in Iran and in this sense, it could theoretically undermine the regime, whose absolute rule is based on Islam. I've read about this topic here actually. It's quite interesting.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I love how Iranians keep saying this, how in the WORLD is the current culture of the Islamic Republic in ANYWAY like that of the Arabs?!? Shiite culture is almost completely a product of the Safavids and it's modern incarnation is completely and uniquely Iranian...if anything the culture of Arab Shiites has more to do with Iran than the Arab societies which they live in!
I'm not talking just about Shiism. I am talking about the way the government changed the names of many cities and provinces in Iran to Arabic names, or the way they tried to ban the celebration of ancient Persian festivals like Norouz and Chaharshanbe Suri, or their promotion of Arabic language. One of the leaders of the Islamic revolution in Iran (Ayatollah Khalkhali) even wrote a book about how evil Cyrus the Great was and how Iranians shouldn't respect him because he was an 'infidel', pagan, tyrant, homosexual, liar and Jew lover.

There's soooo many fucked up things the government in Iran is doing which if you look at you will see they are trying to transform the Iranian culture to resemble Arabs more, and turn away from the Persian culture. They don't even take care of the pre-Islamic heritage of Iran. Do you know Persepolis? They were originally going to demolish that, and there are many other ancient Iranian sites that have deliberately been destroyed by them.

·
Registered
899 Posts
חבר1.0;66931297 said:
I guess this makes some sense, because Persian culture has many vestiges of the pre-Islamic period in Iran and in this sense, it could theoretically undermine the regime, whose absolute rule is based on Islam. I've read about this topic here actually. It's quite interesting.
Yes they want to abandon Iran's pre-Islamic history completely.

·
22,342 Posts
Oh, and correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't Turks brought into the region as slave warriors during the Abbasid Caliphate? If that's the case then there wouldn't be any
turks in the region had it not been for Islam!
I am not going to ignore history, I am not going to ignore that it was Islamic fanaticism that lead to conquests that much later on allowed Turkey to be formed where it is now, but the truth is, after the end of the 17th century, after the Christians reformed enough to push back their religious dogmatism enough to allow rationalism and secularism to take over while the Muslim world including the Ottomans were still stuck in their religious dogmatism, Islam has been nothing but one huge barricade in front of progress and higher civilisation. Islam should either be left as a thing of the past or it should be reformed to the point of not being recognised (as in the case of Christianity) otherwise there will be no possibility of being a progressive and civilised nation. As the example in Turkey shows, how ever much you try to contain it by forced secularisation it keeps on coming back and back and back, continuously trying to drag the nation back into the middle ages. Either Islam adapts to modernity, or modernity destroys Islam, there is no other way because sooner or later people who are fed up with all the Islamic BS are going to get ugly.

·
My Mind Has Left My Body
7,266 Posts
I am in no way a defender or believer of Islam, or any religion for that matter, but despite it's drawbacks Islam has contributed IMMENSELY to world civilization. No Seljuks! No Ottomans! No Memlukes! Where would Turkey be without Islam?
Of course they have. However your suggestion assert that there would have been no Seljuks, Ottomans, Memlukes, or some other notable civilization configurations without Islam which is just wrong.

Just like it is ludicrous that there would have been to suggest that there would have been no French, German, or British civilization achievement if they were left to their Germanic and Celtic ways.

We are often automatically biased towards showing retroactive appreciation for our historical narrative in order to satisfy and pump up our collective ego. In order to give nobility and righteousness to our history which leads us to pride in our present which is obviously a state of mind we tend to prefer.

Perhaps these civilization would have looked or aligned themselves along different lines then today but the world and civilizations would have gone on rather fine over the last 1,500-2,000 years if both Muslims and Christians societies had been left to other influences be it "pagan", animist, or a host of others.

Granted it is very hard to predict in just way they would be different, better, or worse and what path they would have taken but it should hardly be taken for granted that the societies that did fall under Christian/Islamic influence would have been considerably worse off if they hadn't been.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I'm not talking just about Shiism. I am talking about the way the government changed the names of many cities and provinces in Iran to Arabic names, or the way they tried to ban the celebration of ancient Persian festivals like Norouz and Chaharshanbe Suri, or their promotion of Arabic language. One of the leaders of the Islamic revolution in Iran (Ayatollah Khalkhali) even wrote a book about how evil Cyrus the Great was and how Iranians shouldn't respect him because he was an 'infidel', pagan, tyrant, homosexual, liar and Jew lover.

There's soooo many fucked up things the government in Iran is doing which if you look at you will see they are trying to transform the Iranian culture to resemble Arabs more, and turn away from the Persian culture. They don't even take care of the pre-Islamic heritage of Iran. Do you know Persepolis? They were originally going to demolish that, and there are many other ancient Iranian sites that have deliberately been destroyed by them.
I see what you're saying, but Shiism IS the culture of the Islamic Republic, completely. So we can't ignore that. And if some one has delusional, revisionist views about Iran's pre-Islamic history doesn't make them by dafault an Arab. I'm anti-this, therefore I am more like an Arab? Being an Arab is not a reaction to something, it's something in and of itself. So when the Regime tries to change city names or promote the Arabic language or try to ban pre-Islamic holidays still makes it a uniquely Iranian predicament. Even though there are some fanatical nutjobs who are anti anything non-Islamic, I just don't see the majority of the Arab world trying to ban Norouz anywhere, it's just not on anybody's agenda, you know?

·
22,342 Posts
^^

It's not about being Arab as a people but the Arab cultural imperialist aspect of Islam itself.

An important aspect of Islam is the sunnah, and the sunnah imposes a single culture stemming from 7th century hijaz culture for all muslims.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.