Skyscraper City Forum banner

When do u think the entire project would be complete ??

1 - 20 of 324 Posts

·
grimreaper
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
National Highway 66 (erstwhile NH-17 and a part of NH-47) runs roughly north–south along the western coast of India, parallel to the Western Ghats. It connects Panvel (Maharashtra) to Kanyakumari(Tamil nadu), passing through the states of Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka, Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
Lets share the progress and pictures from one of the best road trip worthy highway in India.

·
grimreaper
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Major places on the highway

Maharashtra state
Panvel ,Pen ,Nagothane, Kolad ,Mahad ,Mangaon ,Poladpur
Khed, Chiplun ,Sangameshwar ,Hatkhamba ,Lanja ,Rajapur
Kankavli, Kudal ,Sawantwadi ,Sindhudurg, Banda

Goa state
Pernem ,Mapusa ,Panjim
Margao, Cuncolim ,Canacona

Karnataka state

Uttara Kannada District
Karwar ,Ankola ,Kumta
Honnavar ,Murudeshwar, Bhatkal

Dakshina Kannada (Udupi and Mangaluru District)
Baindur ,Bijjur ,Maravanthe, Kundapur
Saligrama, Brahmavar, Udupi ,Kapu ,Padubidre
Mulki, Suratkal ,Mangaluru, Ullal

Kerala state
Kasaragod , Kannur , Malappuram
Mahe , Kozhikode, Thrissur
Ernakulam , Alappuzha
Kollam , Thiruvananthapuram

Tamilnadu state
Marthandam ,Colachel, Nagercoil, Kanyakumari

·
Registered
343 Posts
Major cities and places on the highway
Loads of work going on in Mh, Goa and Ka. The Karnataka sketch is fantastic to drive with the sea on a side and rivers, backwaters and hills on the other. The highway goes parallel to the Konkan railway for Quite a distance.6 laning is also planned (started?) in Kasargod district of Kerala and from mahe to calicut.The highway is a nightmare in Kannur district and bad enough down south barring few wide stretches in Kochi and Trivandrum.:)

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
They should have gone ahead with 6 lane right from Panvel till Kanyakumari instead of 4 lanning now and later 6 lanning. Waste of resource, time and unnecessary inconvenience for a greater stretch of time.

I have driven on this highway right from Kanyakumari (TN) till Honnavar (KA) and portion of it from Margao to Panaji (Goa). Seriously breath taking...probably the most scenic highway in India (Pardon me, coz' I've not driven much on the Himalayan states baring Arunachal Pradesh). You get all kind of landscape...beaches, backwater, ghats, forests etc everything a passionate traveler want. Few stretches are traffic nightmare due to poor condition of the road or ongoing construction...but major portion of the highway has mild traffic, but I'd still prefer a very smooth 6 lane highway built for eternity... :cheers:

·
grimreaper
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They should have gone ahead with 6 lane right from Panvel till Kanyakumari instead of 4 lanning now and later 6 lanning. Waste of resource, time and unnecessary inconvenience for a greater stretch of time.

I....... but I'd still prefer a very smooth 6 lane highway built for eternity... :cheers:
how we all wish the same !!!
actually this road has highest use in kerala and goa and both these states have some serious problems with land acquisition.

both these states wanted 30m width , now goa is going ahead with 4 lane +service road on 45 m width all along with an 8 lane cable stayed bridge in zuari and 6 lane cable stayed bridge in mandovi , both of which looks incredible , one completed one u/c.

meanwhile in kerala, the new govt had asked for entire six laning from karnataka/kerala border to kerala/tamilnadu border in 45m width , though this has also undergone several changes to stay 4lane in already completed stretch and six lane in all the upcoming sections with servicelanes too.

and in tamilnadu , they have even more tougher LA problem but they are building flyovers to overcome this and 4 lane the entire stretch till the highway reaches the southern most tip of India.

and in karnataka and maharashtra ,except in few small nooks where there are large population ,everywhere else land acquisition is far more easier but the delay in tenders and contractors has prolonged completion date to next year.

hey guess what , this stretch is one of the 44 economic corridors planned in the bharatmala , maybe thats why now the nhai is pushing the projects ahead.

nitin gadkari sir is actually the best performing minister in last 5 years maybe even last 15 years.

1 - 20 of 324 Posts