·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
although i still prefer the original design by antoine predock, i think this design by kris yao is pretty nice. when i first saw the initial rendering and model, i was skeptical and underwhelmed. but watching the video and seeing the interiors in detail, it does seem very nice.

however, my main issue with kris yao's design is that it's too contemporary and modern for the subject matter. this design seems more appropriate as a 'museum of modern asian art', not a design for a national palace museum branch that's supposed to house 8,000 years of ancient chinese antiquities. i like the original npm in taipei because it's very traditional chinese and regal thus very fitting to house the royal antiquities from beijing's forbidden city. i think the chiaiyi branch should've been a contemporary version of a traditional chinese style palace like the taipei npm or the forbidden city. antoine predock's design is also very modern, but at least the chinese symbolism namely the (glass) mountain is very apparent as mountains are a popular subject matter in ancient chinese paintings and taiwan is very mountainous as well. kris yao's design, tho inspired by chinese brushstrokes according to the video, is so completely organic and modern that the brush strokes is completely lost in the interpretation. when i look at it, it does not look like brush strokes or remotely chinese or asian at all. if anything, maybe it resembles more like an offshoot of a yin-yang symbol with the yin-yang elements splitting apart, tho that wasnt even his intention.

anyway, just an opinion of an architectural layman. :)

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

another thing, i dont like how those ends intersect and taper off and stick out like that. i dont know, there's just something odd and "unfinished" or rough about it. and when you look at it from the top, it actually looks like it's a female "hoo-hoo" you-know-what, if you know what i mean. maybe that was kris yao's REAL inspiration, not chinese brush strokes! :lol:

·
Registered
150 Posts
thanks for posting!

i hope with this project, as well as the hsr station, it becomes more of a habit to pick Kris Yao for designing projects in Taiwan. All of his works are the best representation of local culture :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
I think it looks pretty cool - modern, but clean! Not overly done, but still unique, and much better than anything C.Y. Lee might have proposed.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for posting!

i hope with this project, as well as the hsr station, it becomes more of a habit to pick Kris Yao for designing projects in Taiwan. All of his works are the best representation of local culture :)
no, they need to pick more top notch foreign designers for projects. taiwan needs an infusion of talent who have fresh ideas, creativity, technology and innovation to help improve the country's architecture.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It's too bad Predock backed out of the project. It would have been an architectural jewel had it been built.

he didnt voluntarily "back out" of the project. more like "forced out". it was good 'ol taiwan bureaucracy that killed his design. taiwanese politicians kept fighting with each other and with npm officials and stalling and changing the project scope and reducing the budget. also the area was flooded from a typhoon or something and it took a long while to clean it up.

·
Registered
91 Posts
no, they need to pick more top notch foreign designers for projects. taiwan needs an infusion of talent who have fresh ideas, creativity, technology and innovation to help improve the country's architecture.
Open competition. When a foreign architectural firm beats out a local firm it signifies the skill level is not up to par. It's always been the case for the last 7 years. So the more competition the better the architectural quality.

If a local firm beats out foreign firms with a better design proposal, then good for Taiwan (a sign of improvement). However, I believe Yao's current design was contracted, not won from competition.

Also, it's always irritating when a winning design (regardless of local/foreign) gets neutered by the client (government).

·
Registered
91 Posts
he didnt voluntarily "back out" of the project. more like "forced out". it was good 'ol taiwan bureaucracy that killed his design. taiwanese politicians kept stalling and changing the project scope and reducing the budget. also the area was flooded from a typhoon or something and it took a long while to clean it up.
Thanks for the clarification. Normally intervention by the client is acceptable, but to the extent of completely neutering the original design and endlessly delaying the project.....it's definitely dysfunctional.

There are some successful projects though, hopefully we'll see these type of actions stop.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If a local firm beats out foreign firms with a better design proposal, then good for Taiwan (a sign of improvement).

not necessarily. often times local firms win out because of bias or bribery or plain politics. taiwan is renowned to be overly restrictive and protective of it's construction/architecture industry. countries like s. korea and china often times seek to hire top notch foreign architectural firms because they know they are the best. look at all their national projects - airports, supertalls, convention centers, olympic venues, national museums, aerotropolises, etc. most are designed by the cesar pelli, skidmore owings merrill, i.m. pei, zaha hadid, etc of the world. most of taiwan's mega projects are designed by locals and it's definitely not because local talent is better as we see.

·
Registered
91 Posts
not necessarily. often times local firms win out because of bias or bribery or plain politics. taiwan is renowned to be overly restrictive and protective of it's construction/architecture industry. countries like s. korea and china often times seek to hire top notch foreign architectural firms because they know they are the best. look at all their national projects - airports, supertalls, convention centers, olympic venues, national museums, aerotropolises, etc. most are designed by the cesar pelli, skidmore owings merrill, i.m. pei, zaha hadid, etc of the world. most of taiwan's mega projects are designed by locals and it's definitely not because local talent is better as we see.
This is why I added to my existing post that I believe Yao's design was not the winning proposal. If it's an international competition, then the winner=best proposal applies. Your point stems from the kind of contracting the government in the past typically pursues, the type not opened for international competition. This was the reason Taoyuan's T2 was poor in architectural quality (the winning bid was won by a domestic engineering firm for god sakes).

I believe much of the newer projects are opened for international competition. So this is definitely a good sign

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Yao's design does not blend in with the theme. They are displaying Ancient Chinese Artifacts (treasures) in a Library/museum like structure. The other one definitely looks better

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yao's design does not blend in with the theme. They are displaying Ancient Chinese Artifacts (treasures) in a Library/museum like structure. The other one definitely looks better
The problem with Predock's proposal is that only looks great from the air in that picture, but from ground level, depending on how visible the glass obelisk is, the building has the risk of look like nothing more than a looming brutalisk structure with a barely visible glass tip.

Yao's design shows glass and form from the ground level, so it could look better from every angle except from the sky.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
old video from last year. but more detailed info and views of the design. i dont know, i feel like it's too modern to be a museum for ancient chinese antiquities. i still prefer antoine predock's design. both are very contemporary designs, but i feel like predock's design and concept is more asian. artech's design would be a great museum to display modern asian art.

http://focustaiwan.tw/video/004317945.aspx?v=w5M96GIm7EIgr4rjy6vC7Q%3D%3D&page=1

got any construction photos to post, williamchung??

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
finally done i guess. based on the architecture, i just dont see how this is a national palace museum supposedly containing the world's largest and oldest collection of chinese antiquities. asian modern museum of art, yes, but national palace museum? maybe if they painted it red at least? and it looks so clunky. does anyone like it?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jackie chan looks like a dopey chinese crossdresser in that outfit and glasses standing on the right side. idk what happened to that dude. guess he getting senile with aging...:eek:hno:

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
The design looks like it was inspired more by a serpent not Chinese calligraphy. Even the skin looks like snake skin. It looks like a headless snake or dragon. They should've launched it in the year of the snake/dragon. That would be more appropriate!! :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts