Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
23,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
bishoui
1,781 Posts
I'm no fan of it either. It looks dusty and with little actual dust it'll look dirty!

I would love to see some stone cladding with a variety of colours and patterns which would bring life to an otherwise monotonous and modest monochromatic scheme. (also given how touchy the issue of building and renovating churches been over the years and historically, one can understand how and why Coptic church chose to focus on functionality more than anything else) ... by all means religious building should avoid being flashy, having said that a mix of vibrant colors and appropriate ornaments would greatly benefit and add to the feel and experience of those visiting. But it can be fixed and the blandness can be remedied overtime.

What I take more issue with and can't be fixed is how much space was allocated for "the biggest Cathedral in MENA". While the church capacity checks, once you're out the church, you're mere couple of meters away from the gates! Wish they incorporated spaces for gardens whether decorative or that serve multiple purposes like quite space for meditation or for planned events etc not to mention it also adds value to the overall catchment area. A space to breathe instead of the jammed and double crammed sensation 😂😂 I mean for heaven's sake these lands were middle-of-no-where good-for-nothing worthless scorching desert when it was all planned, one could've easily quintupled the space.

Whoever the geniuses that decided it's a good idea to build a cathedral with almost 10k capacity didn't think hard about where they'll go when prayers finished!!! a Major f*ck up!

·
Registered
368 Posts
A city that needs parking for 10k people for a mass is a poorly planned city. I grew up between London and Milan. The Duomo in Milan is in the heart of the city and caters for 40k people. Not a single parking spot. However, the public transportation gets you to the cathedral from anywhere in the city within 30 minutes. That is called a smart city (Milan has very bad pollution levels too so you can imagine driving there makes things very unbearable). Egypt needs to plan looking forward to sustainability and environmental issues; a state of the art city that doesn’t require driving is the future, which in this case seems like half baked if it has inadequate public transportation

·
23,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's the thing though, these buildings are neither iconic nor flashy. No tourist is going to come to this church, it looks mediocre at best. It's all the downsides of having a huge building without any of the positives. Bottlenecks in traffic, crowding, lack of parking, massive logistical and security issues yet it's not going to be a landmark and wont generate tourism revenue and create employment. Egypt is still plagued by the Mogamma3 dogma.

Not to mention that this church seems to be located next to a huge roundabout.

Why is the seat of the Coptic Church going to be transferred to the new capital anyway? It's not a government body.

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
To be honest I dont finf ugly at all. Maybe a bit too simple. They could have used some noble material though (ie: limestone). But it is not too late to improve it by adding some decorative features: some specific coverage for the roof, the columns, ...
The very purpose of this city isn't to ease the pressure on overcrowded Cairo? IMO moving as much non governmental buildings and institutions to New Cairo will bring life.
But yes I agree that an efficient public transportation system could be a game changer for the city's aspirations to become a world class capital

·
23,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It does look very Coptic, not much of an upgrade from Saint Mark's Cathedral in Abbasiya though. Would have definitely preferred something more similar to this beautiful church, Our Lady of Heliopolis. It's one of my favorite churches in Cairo. I also like the fact that it's not completely walled-off and inaccessible, feels like a part of its urban surroundings rather than a separate island that only serves a functional purpose.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts