·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Nature Publishing Index Asia-Pacific
http://www.natureasia.com/en/publish...by-country/all

Current Index date range: 2013-08-12 ~ 2014-08-11

CC
CC represents the corrected count by calculating a corrected point total for each paper from a given country as a decimal fraction of one (up to a maximum of 1), by taking into account the percentage of authors of the paper from that country. All authors are assumed to contribute equally to corrected count.
Top 5: 1.Japan 2.China (Incl HK) 3.Australia 4.South Korea 5.Singapore

Article
Article represents the total number of articles that list authors from a given country, regardless of the percentage of authors of the paper from that country.
Top 5: 1.China (Incl HK) 2.Japan 3.Australia 4.South Korea 5.Singapore

CC/Article
The corrected count per article
Top 5: 1.Japan 2.China (Incl HK) 3.South Korea 4.Taiwan 5.Australia

Pop (Mil)
year-end population in 2013 from IMF

CC/Pop
The corrected count per million people
Top 5: 1.Singapore 2.Australia 3.Japan 4.New Zealand 5.South Korea 7.China (Incl HK):eek:hno:

Article/Pop
The number of articles per million people
Top 5: 1.Singapore 2.Australia 3.New Zealand 4.Japan 5.South Korea 7.China (Incl HK):eek:hno:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I wonder, why should East Asian scientist want to publish their article to foreign magazine over the local one?

From what I read in internet, many of foreign science community look down or disbelieve to East Asian scientist.

Foreign scientist get attention, praise, and reward even thou they just publish a kind of theory.

While East Asian scientist is not. Their invention widely used for decades before they get acknowledgement.

Is Nature magazine that worthy and importance?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder, why should East Asian scientist want to publish their article to foreign magazine over the local one?

From what I read in internet, many of foreign science community look down or disbelieve to East Asian scientist.

Foreign scientist get attention, praise, and reward even thou they just publish a kind of theory.

While East Asian scientist is not. Their invention widely used for decades before they get acknowledgement.

Similar to OSCAR or GRAMMY. The West dominate the world in Science.

·
Registered
997 Posts
huh~~. Scholars publish papers mainly taking impact factor in consideration. Rewards always go to the highest impact factor journals. Science has no boundary, no nationality. The capable persons are able to publish enough papers in their own country and foreign country. I personally feel understandable at this situation.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Similar to OSCAR or GRAMMY. The West dominate the world in Science.
Really dominate or just self-declaring?

And Chinese scientists, musicians and movie-makers are lost in the mental war.

I really like the mentality of Daoist scientist, like those researchers in TCM, fengshui, etc. They are very confident people, set their own game/rules and really get real progress that reflecting what our society really need.

They are not mentally weak, and thirsty of foreign praise, while at the same time, contribute nothing to their own people.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
imo those are all pseudo-science and they have to boast to make a living :)
You mean fengshui master wanna-be on the street. :lol:

Christian KMT and CCP labeled Daoism as superstitious. Just like they labeled Confucianism as "dark" ideology too.

While Christianity, Western science and ideology as the ultimate truth.

I think if you are a Chinese, know well about China, I don't think you believe Christian KMT and CCP accusation.

Every Chinese know about how innovate Chinese civilization was. And every Chinese know how it strongly tied with Daoism. Chinese science and innovation productivity always tied with how the attitude of ruling dynasty toward Daoism.

Beside, as a Chinese, do you believe that Chinese science never proving anything, even one? Never produced anything useful and great?

Daoism influenced modern world much, much bigger than most people assumed.

But what I want to say, it's different between working on our own science than working with someone else's.

It's different between working to make progress in our society, than working to get praise by foreigner in Nature magazine.

·
Registered
669 Posts

They do publish in China, actually they mostly publish in Chinese. So much so, people are complianing that people in China have a good idea of what's going in the west, while people in the west can only catch a few glimpse on what's going on China. For example when Chang'e 2 was doing maneuvers to rendezvous with Toutatis, people throw wild guesses and don't seem to know what the Chinese are actually up to. While in the Chinese language world, the plans are discussed and debated for almost a year in conferences and such.

There follow is the largest science publication in China, the English and Chinese version are almost completely different. And most scientist in China can read both.
http://www.scichina.com/new_web_Fa/index.asp

For example on the technology section, where is a whole host of articles on Chinese HSR that's present on the Chinese edition but not in English.

http://tech.scichina.com:8082/sciE/CN/volumn/volumn_6904.shtml
http://tech.scichina.com:8082/sciEe/EN/volumn/volumn_6908.shtml

Or China's manned lunar landing plans, there were fairly detailed analysis done on approach and requirement way back in 2010.

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
You mean fengshui master wanna-be on the street. :lol:

Christian KMT and CCP labeled Daoism as superstitious. Just like they labeled Confucianism as "dark" ideology too.

While Christianity, Western science and ideology as the ultimate truth.

I think if you are a Chinese, know well about China, I don't think you believe Christian KMT and CCP accusation.

Every Chinese know about how innovate Chinese civilization was. And every Chinese know how it strongly tied with Daoism. Chinese science and innovation productivity always tied with how the attitude of ruling dynasty toward Daoism.

Beside, as a Chinese, do you believe that Chinese science never proving anything, even one? Never produced anything useful and great?

Daoism influenced modern world much, much bigger than most people assumed.

But what I want to say, it's different between working on our own science than working with someone else's.

It's different between working to make progress in our society, than working to get praise by foreigner in Nature magazine.
I don't give a damn to KMT or CCP. But CCP is now a supporter of those "science" you mentioned (your knowledge of CCP is still out of date).

There's no western science or eastern science. There is simply science and pseudo-science everywhere. What you mentioned is more philosophy than science. You can't bring them up as reference when talking about science and Nature.

I never despise any culture or civilization as you claimed. There's no right and wrong in philosophy and they don't need to be proved. But this is not the case for science.

I don't know what you refer to as Daoism. Religional Daoism is a religion while philosophical Daoism is an ideology. You can have millions of them giving guidance confidently to science but it didn't bring the prosperity of natural science so far.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I don't give a damn to KMT or CCP. But CCP is now a supporter of those "science" you mentioned (your knowledge of CCP is still out of date).

There's no western science or eastern science. There is simply science and pseudo-science everywhere. What you mentioned is more philosophy than science. You can't bring them up as reference when talking about science and Nature.

I never despise any culture or civilization as you claimed. There's no right and wrong in philosophy and they don't need to be proved. But this is not the case for science.

I don't know what you refer to as Daoism. Religional Daoism is a religion while philosophical Daoism is an ideology. You can have millions of them giving guidance confidently to science but it didn't bring the prosperity of natural science so far.
Actually this debate happened almost a hundred years ago. And more or less decided the line where science and chinese philosophy resides today. Essentially a debate on objective vs subjective realty on the philosophical level.

Hu Shih vs Liang Qichao

and a modern nationalist interpretation of the debate

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/3040613053?see_lz=1

The main point is not against science, but argue that western philosophical approach is not the only way, especially in social sciences.

For "Neo-Daoism", 玄学, the most interesting thing when when that philosophical approach is applied to many world theory. Since Daoism is based subjective reality rather than objective reality, Schrodinger's cat being both alive and dead is perfectly acceptable, but under objective reality paradigm it is a paradox. Since for subjective reality, a reality become a reality only when it is experienced, and it is perfectly fine for multiple contradictory realities to co-exist before it is experienced.

In the western world there is also a similar debate about it, namely from David Hume's An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, which questions whether induction (a basis for scientific method) can really resolve the question of causality. This problem is most profound in medical studies, especially regard the effect placebos. Since both placebos and the substance have a measurable effect on disease, any division we make between the two is pretty much arbitrary.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Give me an example of it. :)

If they really acknowledge their mistake and understand the truth, all mainland Chinese today will be studied in Confucius school and learned Western stuffs there. Not studied in Western school with Confucianism material for test.

CCP don't know anything about China and always look down on it.

The truth is always one.

But it's the people mentality who divided it into Western and Eastern. People mentality is strong. To have the wrong one, is a disaster.

The truth is always one, but to have the mentality that they doing it for Western science is the recipe of being second-rate science and country.

For example: Japan. Everyone know Japan is super creative. At the same time, just know how to improve Westerner inventions. That's all.

Daoism does bring a huge prosperity of natural science.

You need to stop just believing what Christian KMT and CCP said. It's widely available everywhere, it's not surprising of people will pick it first, believing it and then stop there.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Actually this debate happened almost a hundred years ago. And more or less decided the line where science and chinese philosophy resides today. Essentially a debate on objective vs subjective realty on the philosophical level.

Hu Shih vs Liang Qichao

and a modern nationalist interpretation of the debate

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/3040613053?see_lz=1

The main point is not against science, but argue that western philosophical approach is not the only way, especially in social sciences.
Agree!

Living as a Chinese in different country, where China-Islam-West collided together, makes me have fairer view and more understanding.

For "Neo-Daoism", 玄学, the most interesting thing when when that philosophical approach is applied to many world theory. Since Daoism is based subjective reality rather than objective reality, Schrodinger's cat being both alive and dead is perfectly acceptable, but under objective reality paradigm it is a paradox. Since for subjective reality, a reality become a reality only when it is experienced, and it is perfectly fine for multiple contradictory realities to co-exist before it is experienced.

In the western world there is also a similar debate about it, namely from David Hume's An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, which questions whether induction (a basis for scientific method) can really resolve the question of causality. This problem is most profound in medical studies, especially regard the effect placebos. Since both placebos and the substance have a measurable effect on disease, any division we make between the two is pretty much arbitrary.
Never heard about Neo-Daoism before.

Care you explain it for me?

I have a huge interest of it. :)

·
Registered
669 Posts
Never heard about Neo-Daoism before.

Care you explain it for me?

I have a huge interest of it. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xuanxue

http://baike.baidu.com/view/964.htm

It happened around at the end of Han Dynasty when the classic HuangLao (黄老) Daoism starts to fall and the religious commoner's Daoism (such as Way of the Celestial Masters 天师道) starts to rise. It's essential a non-religious interpretation of Daoism and kept as a subject of scharly study. They focus on Laozi, Zhuangzi and I Chang, but not the It's often used side by side with Confucianism, and offer the sort of metaphysics and mysticism that's lacking in Confucianism. They also wonder philosophical problem about existence Lunheng is one of their early texts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunheng

more information here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Sages_of_the_Bamboo_Grove
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qingtan
http://baike.baidu.com/view/560946.htm

In a way you can see it Daoism trying to re-define itself when HuangLao Dao is replaced by Confucianism as a guiding principle for the nation. One path made it into a religion, which the Daoism we commonly think of today. The other path turn it into a system philosophy, which Xuanxue. However, since Chinese don't like to draw line between disciplines, so they cross pollinate a lot, and it's difficult to tell one from the other. For the confucician, it is a way to get away from the strict Liyue system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruan_Ji

Just imagining the popular (not historical) image of people like Zhuge Liang and Liu Bowen, then you get a good idea of what it is.

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
Give me an example of it. :)

If they really acknowledge their mistake and understand the truth, all mainland Chinese today will be studied in Confucius school and learned Western stuffs there. Not studied in Western school with Confucianism material for test.

CCP don't know anything about China and always look down on it.
Then what those Chinese Ancient Civilization Schools do (国学) all over China? Teaching Einstein's Relativity? What's purpose of those TV bombing of of ancient culture philosophy (百家讲坛,汉语成语大赛 etc) ? What did CCP invest 457 Confucius Institures in 122 countries in last decade for?

As a matter of fact over-promoting self culture at home and resulting nationalism is what CCP is doing and will be the biggest enemy of China imo.
The truth is always one.

But it's the people mentality who divided it into Western and Eastern. People mentality is strong. To have the wrong one, is a disaster.

The truth is always one, but to have the mentality that they doing it for Western science is the recipe of being second-rate science and country.

For example: Japan. Everyone know Japan is super creative. At the same time, just know how to improve Westerner inventions. That's all.
Very hollow argument. It's a flat world boy. Having a "eatern science" mentality itself is a reflection of nonconfidence and it doesn't bring any superior science.

Japan has done a great job interms of innovation. You can't ask too much out of Japan being a small resource lacking country. In modern world nothing is out of scratch including Einstein's Relativity. It's not all about copying. Please do some research to learn who invented MSG, instant noodle, battery, game consoles, video recorder, laptop, robots, LCD screen, blue-ray etc.

Daoism does bring a huge prosperity of natural science.
Give me a concrete example of it.

You need to stop just believing what Christian KMT and CCP said. It's widely available everywhere, it's not surprising of people will pick it first, believing it and then stop there.
I had said I don't give a damn to KMT or CCP. Again could you pay a trip and stay long enough to write a long article (possibly against your present view)? :)

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Then what those Chinese Ancient Civilization Schools do (??) all over China? Teaching Einstein's Relativity? What's purpose of those TV bombing of of ancient culture philosophy (????,?????? etc) ? What did CCP invest 457 Confucius Institures in 122 countries in last decade for?

As a matter of fact over-promoting self culture at home and resulting nationalism is what CCP is doing and will be the biggest enemy of China imo.
CCP's Confucius Institute is not promoting Confucianism.

It's more like promoting CCP's China and borrowing the name of Confucius. US is very well know about it. I heard they are purposing to close and ban it from Western world. Definitely will taint the Confucius name forever, as Confucius has nothing to do with Communism. Confucius is even the opposite of Communism. Another blow to already damaged Confucianism from the earlier Christian, KMT and CCP anti-Confucianism movements.

It's not even over-promoting, it's heavily suppressed to be precisely. Confucianism don't have the same position in China, as human right and democracy value in Western countries.

History has proven that Chinese culture is the world most tolerance toward many culture and religion around the world. Although it's not perfect because of tainted by the political turbulence. But overall and the core, it still considered world best. Many of the ancient religions and their relics are still exist and preserved in China, while they extinct in their homeworld.

Did you know that Chinese tolerance is the main cause of free-religion movement in Europe?

The danger of over-promoting self-culture create nationalism is a false accusation.

If you know history, you will know the danger of Chinese nationalism was actually fabricated and promoted by the Christian, because the local refuse the force conversion that lead into discontent. Instead of self-introspect their own barbaric attitude, they blamed the others.

Chinese modern history is full of foreigner twist like this, that lead into unpleasant things almost a century later after that. From the beginning everything was already wrong, that later lead into even bigger wrong.

Very hollow argument. It's a flat world boy. Having a "eatern science" mentality itself is a reflection of nonconfidence and it doesn't bring any superior science.

Japan has done a great job interms of innovation. You can't ask too much out of Japan being a small resource lacking country. In modern world nothing is out of scratch including Einstein's Relativity. It's not all about copying. Please do some research to learn who invented MSG, instant noodle, battery, game consoles, video recorder, laptop, robots, LCD screen, blue-ray etc.
No doubt that Japan is super creative. But everything you mentioned above are fall into the category of second-rate science and innovation.

To be honest, not just Japan. Even modern China is also the same. Because both of them have the wrong mentality.

Give me a concrete example of it.
Daoism is a religion, philosophy, and science. Daoism influenced all these innovation directly and indirectly.

History of science and technology in China
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_science_and_technology_in_China

List of Chinese inventions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_inventions

When Daoism was oppressed, so does the innovation culture gone too.

Daoism doesn't just strong in innovation idea, but also a people centric government too, it even stronger than Confucianism. That is why many emperor dislike it. Many imperial dynasty government tried to oppress Daoism down to just as a temple ceremony only, especially after Ming and so-on.

Temple ceremony only restriction that lead into the image of "superstitious and outdated" Daoism. While the real Doaism is extremely mind blowing! :cheers:

I had said I don't give a damn to KMT or CCP. Again could you pay a trip and stay long enough to write a long article (possibly against your present view)? :)
But without you realized, your view is reflecting Christian KMT and CCP propaganda.

·
Registered
669 Posts
You two are arguing over nothing. Being mind blowing will not produce results in the real world, nor is western way of science in contradiction of traditional Chinese methodologies.

Seek Truth In Reality is the motto of a 1000 year academy back in my hometown, and the same motto that drives western science. After knowledge is not created by a bunch of sages come to together argue over many angles can dance on a pin head or can person know the happiness of a fish without being a fish It is about understanding, shaping and exploring the real world.

"Seek Truth In Reality"

1 - 20 of 35 Posts