SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
76,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have we a basketball thread?
i just heard on news, sydney kings and brisbane bullets are in deep shit.
no money to pay them?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Yep, basketball is in deep shit in general in Oz. Shame as its a great game. The sport needs to be on free to air tv, not 'hidden' on pay tv. We are now in a situation where we have a generation of people who don't know what basketball is.

With the Kings, they should have played in a cheaper rent stadium for years. The Sydney Entertainment place was too pricey. That is how Melbourne Tigers turned it around.

Don't know about Brisbane.

·
Banned
Tremendous
8,579 Posts
Whats also funny is that the standard of Basketball played in Australia now is of a much better quality then when it was popular. (NBA got worse though)

It definitely needs to be on free to air to boost it up again.

Its still rather popular in Perth but its played at Challenge stadium (out of the way for most) and only holds 4000 people but it consistently sells out that 4000.

But its so frustrating trying to follow a team when you can't see their games live when they play away.

And Foxtels treatment of NBL is shithouse too.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
^^^^^^^^^

The ABC or SBS should cover it and give it the Les Murray treatment.

Do they show the World Champs or Eurobasket on Oz tv?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
And Foxtels treatment of NBL is shithouse too.
Foxtel's coverage is pretty good considering how the ratings are at the moment for the NBL. They showed 3 or 4 games a week and covered every finals game plus had a package show each week with highlights and news. There is not enough justification to show every game live or delayed. Channel 9 had an hourly highlights package of the Saturday night's game every Sunday but yeah it should be given better airplay on free to air.

·
Banned
Tremendous
8,579 Posts
Every game for Perth used to be shown live or delayed just like AFL coverage. And theres 2 teams in Perth as opposed to the one NBL team.

Why would I bother paying for Foxtel when they MIGHT show my teams game? I want to be able to watch every game I possibly can.

Thats why local stations should take back the scheduling again just like the AFL.

·
7,972 Posts
Bullets plat at the Covention Centre which holds about 4,000. Good move from the Entertainment Centre which held 10,000 and was miles out of the way.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I think the NRL and NBL are having a race to see which can get more clubs into shit and bankruptcy/relocation faster. There are so many clubs in deaths row right now in sport.

·
Registered
448 Posts
what the NBL needs is one of 2 things...

either a renegotiated deal with Foxtel which can keep the competition afloat despite the clubs being unsustainable or they need to get a cheaper deal with FTA to promote the game.

right now, they're not getting enough $$$ from Foxtel and the FTA crowd arent seeing it either. worst of both worlds.

how is the ANZ netball comp surviving? is that bigger than basketball now?

·
©
9,470 Posts
The deal to buy the Brisbane Bullets from Eddie Groves has fallen through, they need a new investor by Friday or the club is in serious trouble. Not good at all!! :eek:hno: Apparently the Sydney Kings are also in a pretty bad way.

·
#pantherpride
1,561 Posts
Perhaps they should dissolve the competition, and re-launch it just like the A-League. Just a thought. As much as I hate the Kings (I'm a Razorbacks man), the NBL needs teams like them and the Bullets for it to be viable, and have a presence in every major centre.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Maybe Sydney can only support a single team and Gold Coast Blaze will have to take care of Brisbane itself.

People are simply not going to the matches so you can't really complain if the teams disapear.

In Europe you have the midweek Euro Leagues which are very popular and are top standard, nearing that of NBA and probably tactically better.

Australia needs Oceania to merger with FIBA Asia for starters.

Move back to a winter season too, who wants to sit indoors on a warm night?

·
Registered
745 Posts
I just hope the Bullets survive. They have been part of the city since the late '70's as one of the foundation clubs. That pre-dates the Broncos, Lions and Roar.

I remember going to Bondall as a primary/secondary student back in the late eighties/early ninties. There were always packed houses.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Why did you stop going?

I stopped because they my team 'Geelong Supercats' played in too small a stadium and when they started doing better you could never get a ticket, then they pulled the team out of the NBL. Incidently they still sell out the Arena playing in the regional leagues.

The NBL has suffered because the RL and footy people got their acts together with televising and promoting sport.

And yes the standard here has never been better. We export players now, rather than import them.

It was great when you had big international tours like playing the super strong USSR team over 5 'tests'. They never do that anymore.

One day I am sure the sport will come good again here, because it is too good a game to play and watch. Problem is before that happens there will be more pain along the way. The Kings and Bullets might be added to the Canberra Cannons, St. Kilda, Nunawading, Coburg, Hobart,..........................

It needs to get back in the media....somehow.

The SEN show on Sunday nights, 'Born in the USA' was saying all summer the league was on the brink with only a handful of sides still going okay. Real shame.

·
Registered
448 Posts
i think what happened is we got fussier and our tastes turned toward Europe.

in the late 80's, early 90's the NBL was on the rise. we were happy with the mediocrity because it kind of still looked like the NBA a little bit.

this was also during a time when the NBA and its stars were the flavor of the month (so to speak) the world over. basketball was cool. the US was cool.

we wanted our own little piece of the US razzmatazz here.

since then the US has gotten on the nose a bit, we couldnt keep our good players here either. we were happy if they went to the NBA but not to Europe, as it just made our own competition look more 3rd rate than 2nd rate. now B-ball is big in Europe and the Aussie battler just cant compete with the wealth on offer.

to be honest, in my opinion the NBL just isnt as exciting as it once was. the defensive standard is probably better, but who wants to watch a perimeter game? i cant understand how the Europeans find it so entertaining. follow the NBA, make Zone defense illegal and encourage one-on-one, more dunking, more individuality.

Soccer is now the cool thing. the A-league is going through now what the NBL did 20 years ago. can it be sustained? will we be happy with our own little piece of mediocrity, or will we just give up on it and watch the real stuff on TV instead after we've watched the stars we've produced in our own competition get snapped up by 3rd rate European clubs and leagues?

·
Banned
Tremendous
8,579 Posts
Funny you mention the defense rule.

College Basketball is considered more "popular" in the US because its proper Basketball. NBA went to showboating and has virtually no tactics.

The offense just has to get better. Moving the 3 point line out further might help a bit but I'd hate the illegal defense rule.

If you execute your offense correctly you'll beat ANY defense.

As my old coach used to say "Perfect offense will always beat perfect defense"

·
Registered
448 Posts
Funny you mention the defense rule.

College Basketball is considered more "popular" in the US because its proper Basketball. NBA went to showboating and has virtually no tactics.

The offense just has to get better. Moving the 3 point line out further might help a bit but I'd hate the illegal defense rule.

If you execute your offense correctly you'll beat ANY defense.

As my old coach used to say "Perfect offense will always beat perfect defense"
yeah thats the other rule i forgot about. moving out the 3 point line.

the difference in America is there's higher caliber players, so they're more likely to get by the D. whereas in the NBL the D rules the inside areas so there's far too much boring jump shooting going on from not too far out. just my opinion.

i'd rather see the defense broken up by good passing/teamwork or some individual brilliance.... not by run up the floor, pass, jump shot, pass, pass, jump shot. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz thats the NBL too often.

1 - 20 of 330 Posts