SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Charlotte
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we all know about this project, but I’d never seen a rendering. I’m not certain if it’s been recently released, or was always on their site. I can’t recall ever seeing it until tonight when I just happened to check the site. Sorry if this has been posted before.

Click image to see larger.

COMPLETED RENDERING

SITE NOW

The NC Music Factory Campus encompasses 30 acres of land with 270,000 sq. feet of existing buildings located in Uptown Charlotte, North Carolina. The site is located in the historic Fourth Ward area immediately adjacent to the Charlotte central business district, one of the most dynamic urban centers in the Southeast. The historic buildings at NC Music Factory are being restored to their original historic character and many of the tenant spaces include beautiful brick walls and hardwood floors. The development plan calls for the establishment of North Carolina's first all encompassing multi-use arts and entertainment district. When complete the development will include many restaurants, nightclubs, galleries and other arts and entertainment users as well as affordable residential. Many of the establishments will have individual outdoor patios and courtyards. Imagine Beal Street of Memphis, SoHo of NY, Deep Ellum of Dallas, Buckhead of Atlanta or Ebor City of Tampa, all Uptown Charlotte, tied together by major themed special events. Its all in one location, it all Uptown, the new North Carolina Music Factory - Redefining Charlotte Entertainment!

Link: http://ncmusicfactory.com/

·
Charlotte
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used to be skeptical of this project because I thought it was too far off the beaten path. But then I thought about it. It’s within short walking distance of Johnson & Wales and Gateway Village. When it’s completed; you may see a lot of foot traffic on the trails around Trade and Fifth and then down Graham to this project. That is, if he’s got a good tenant mix and it truly becomes what he’s billing it to be. And hopefully it won’t be filled with establishments that cater just to nighttime activities.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Skanky the Boricuo said:
Looks kind of interesting...but please tell me they didn't just compare it to SoHo.
Haha....I'm still trying to figure out how something could be similar to both Deep Ellum and Buckhead.

I'm not overly thrilled with this project. It is pretty far off the beaten path, and will become more so when the 9th street rail crossing is closed (they are building a new road to this site that will require leaving Uptown). There is talk about a pedestrian bridge crossing the rails.

I'm just not sure why we would want to pull momentum from areas like NoDa and now 5th Street. No matter what kind of connections are added, this site will never fit into the urban fabric.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The current plan is to cut a road from Graham Street that follows the railroad on the northside under 277 into the property......I guess it beats bull-dozing through a cemetary, but I hate to see my taxes being built on an illogical road just to essentially serve one land owner.

·
Charlotte
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a bit of an update and a new, but terribly small, rendering.

Developer plans entertainment district

Updated: 5/21/2005 12:11 PM
By: Shawn Flynn, News 14 Carolina.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A developer is ready to take an old section of Charlotte's Fourth Ward and turn it into an arts and entertainment district.

The Uptown Village will be located near 10th and Graham streets, between I-77 and I-277.

“Charlotte needs more character and more depth and more originality,” said Noah Lazes, the president of the ARK Group.

When most people drive through the area and see an old textile mill, they see a rundown building with broken windows. Lazes sees the future.

“A knee-jerk reaction might be to tear it down,” he said. “Then they sand down some wood and clean some brick, and you see the beauty in the old space and you realize that these old spaces have a lot of character.”

That is the idea behind the Uptown Village, which is already home to the North Carolina Music Factory and Silver Hammer Studios. By fixing up old buildings, Lazes’ group hopes to give Charlotte a new identity.

“The catch phrase for us right now is work, live and play,” Lazes said Friday. “You can work, live and play all in one area, all uptown, all inside the loop.”

Kathy Cannon II is the owner of Illusions 1000, a progressive nightclub scheduled to open in the area next weekend. She thinks the Uptown Village will be huge despite being in a remote industrial area. http://www.illusions1000.com/

“I like it off the beaten path,” she said. “I think it's going to the most outgoing club area that's in Charlotte.”

The Creative Loafing newspaper will also make the Uptown Village its corporate headquarters. Already, more than a quarter of the district’s space has been leased.

Link: http://www.news14charlotte.com/content/local_news/?ArID=93981&SecID=2

·
Charlotte
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's another new rendering and better versions of two previous one. I said previously that I was skeptical of this project given its location. But I recently talked to a friend who works for a radio station in town and they kind of changed my mind. According to my friend, there’s a huge buzz regarding this project among those in the city engaged in the music and entertainment business. They said to expect “big things” when this place opens. We’ll see.

The way the site looks now:

·
Registered
349 Posts
What is the latest on this project? Is it currently under construction, have they put it on hold, or what? Enquiring minds want to know!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts