Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
T-T-TEESSIDERS!
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surely its about time the North-East/Yorkshire got its own sub forum?

Theres certainly enough activity going on in the area to have one.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Agree. North East England (Sunderland, Boro and Newcastle) only. Not Yorkshire lumped in with us.

The fact we dont have one is another example of snobbery aimed towards the greatest region in England.

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
There is actually a lot of big projects going on now that easily rival most others up and down the country. I've never actually wanted a sub forum before because I didn't think there was enough to talk about but now I'd say there is. There are some highrise projects planned for our cities now, if that makes any difference?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
The Hull / 'Ull thread has £2 billion of regeneration projects, dozens of contributers, has generated over 7000 posts and 180,000 views - more traffic than the entire sub-forum for for Wales / Cymru (which is a lovely place but still basically just Cardiff, Barry Island, Newport and a bit of Swansea where the last time I enjoyed their fine hospitality, they were all happily speaking, drinking and slurring in 'English' despite massive state interference to 'preserve' their endangered 'Celtic' culture and 'beautiful' language. What about our equally precious 'Danish / Viking' culture which was dealt with rather differently by the Normans in the form of William the Conqueror's ethnic cleansing in the winter of 1069 from the Humber all the way up to Durham known as the 'Harrying of the North', where 150,000 Anglo-Danes were massacred and the land was scorched, rendering it useless causing famine for 3 generations? Presumably Anglo-Danes have shorter memories than Celts or maybe nobody lived to tell the sorry tale. Not very PC, but as an East Yorkshire born Englishman of Irish descent - I can say exactly what I mean. :lol:

Hull's sub-form requirement is certainly equal to that of Nottingham and Leicester who got the forum we collectively asked for, but geographically and politically our face doesn't seem to fit. No hard feelings. :) We asked to be part of a Yorkshire forum but it was never going to happen as "Leeds and Sheffield already have long-standing forums". No jobs for the boys there then! A 'North-East' forum was mooted at the time as a pragmatic solution but the lack of traffic for Newcastle, Sunderland and Teeside was the problem, TBH. Now that's improved I'd be happy to share a 'North East' forum along the old Northumbria lines - i.e the area from North of the Humber to the Scottish borders - the region which has just produced it's 4th Premier League team, compared to none in Yorkshire (i.e. meaning 'West' Yorkshire).

Lets get it on.

·
T-T-TEESSIDERS!
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would say that there is enough projects in the Teesside area alone to have its own sub forum, i know not many people post on the Teesside thread but thats becuase there isn't many Teesside here.
I think if we had one for the north-east, thats including Hull all us proper northerners would post in each others threads more than we do now and get involved in discussions of developments going on all other the regions.

The North East always gets overlooked- especially Teesside, we do even in our own local things too!
We should get one but who decides whether we do? And will all North East related threads be transferred to the sub forum?

Ta!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
There isnt enough interest in the Teeside thread to warrant its own sub-forum, its not just me who would think that. If you look at the present sub-forums, i'd also say that even Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesbrough combined arent really busy enough.

Its the moderators decision whether they create sub-forums or not an from what i've gathered there not too keen on having any more but theres no harm in trying.

·
T-T-TEESSIDERS!
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Like I said theres enough prjects by along way, its just the activity because there isn't many teessiders on this forum atm, or if there is they aren't posting in the thread.......

And if the moderators aren't going to make any more, then why didn't they make it fair for the whole country and create a forum for each region such as North east, North West, Midlands, South East, South West etc.?

·
Advance Kingstonia!
6,548 Posts
That's the billion dollar question that has been asked roughly a billion times mate.

Still no answer though.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I dunno about this separate forum for the North East. I think there simply isnt enough people who use either the Newcastle, Sudnerland or Teesside forum to merit one. I dunno why that is, as the population of Merseyside is similar to Tyne and Wear yet the Liverpool forum gets loads more people using it. I mean in all three of the current forums Newcastle, Sunderland or Teesside there are days and days when no one even talks on.
My also opinion is that in all three of the above cities/conurbations there simply isnt that much going on. What I mean is there are buildings getting built up but there is a severe lack of skyscrapers- and that is what this forum is called aint it? What we have built up till now is small developements/ buildings compared to some other cities in UK have been building. We seem to be great at talking about plans of this and plans of that up here but not much really happens. We talk about student accom in Middlesbrough, or a 10 storey office building in Newcastle or an extra 14 extra stores in Eldon Sqaure where as in other cities they are building clusters of skyscrapers, 100's of new stores (ie Liverpool One and Bristol) and big developments and this is even in much smaller cities than Newcastle. There are plans afoot but untill i see loads of cranes in the skyline (of which there is very few in either Newcastle, Sunderland ior Middlesbrough) I don't think we deserve a forum of our own.
And as for Hull being in a forum with the North East I don't agree. Althogh it is in the North and in the East it isnt in the North East region. I couldnt talk about anything that is happening in Hull as I havent been and I know nothing about Hull and imagine a lot of people up here would be the same.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I don't think it's about commenting on each others stuff - more about allowing more threads for more in-depth, seperate discussions rather than a linear thread which changes every 5 posts and you can't even answer people's questions. I think we may be being 'steered' this way so if it's 'North East England' sub-forum or nothing, I'm in....

·
T-T-TEESSIDERS!
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But, there is other discussions going on in those boards isn't there? Such as Pictures of there areas and there skylines.

Now we may not have many tall buildings, but in teesside alone, we have about 5 ish planned for Middlesbrough, theres a 120m high bridge going up in stockton, new tall student acommidation, as well as all the other bridges etc/ tall buildings hee. Not sure about other places such as Darlo and Hartlepool etc.
In my opinion Teesside has one of the best skylines in the country, with all our industry, especially at night with all the large chimneys and pipes lit up, sticking up in the sky, it looks like a futuristic city!

·
35,227 Posts
well i would like to reorganise ssc on the basis of regions with city specific forums for those regions busy enough. eg scottish forum with a glasgow subforum sort of thing. its just an enormous amount of work - we're talking over 1 million posts!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.