Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered Fool
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people. I'm looking to wrap up my holiday shopping by getting some gift certificates to some of the best steakhouses in Miami. There are 4 that come to mind which I know are considered some of the best in town: Prime112, Smith & Wollensky, Morton's and Ruth's Chris. I also hear Capital Grille is good although I never been there. Also know of The Forge.

Anyway, I ask if you could please recommend one that is the best overall and why (ambience, food quality, location, etc). Would also like to hear which ones you think are better in one thing and not the other (for example: food quality vs ambience).

Would also like to ask which one you recommend for someone from out of town and which ones for someone who already resides in Miami and isn't such a popular tourist-type place. I was figuring the Smith & Wollensky or Prime112 are good for the out of towners since it's in south beach. They are for family and friends and as aforementioned some will be coming in from out of town. Thanks.

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Prime 112. We had a very large party there as a surprise for my dad and everything was great aside from the service being just a tad sloppy (forgivable with 30 people). The place is beautiful, too.

Haven't been to that particular Smith & Wollensky but been to a couple of others, including here in Philly. They're reliably good and definitely a cut above most chain operations.

Had good and bad experiences at Ruth's Chris.

My favorites down there would definitely be 112 and this Brazilian steak place in Ft. Lauderdale that I can't remember the damn name of. Nice gift, btw. Wish I had you for a relative! :cheers:

·
Banned
60 Posts
Anyway, I ask if you could please recommend one that is the best overall and why (ambience, food quality, location, etc). Would also like to hear which ones you think are better in one thing and not the other (for example: food quality vs ambience).
You have covered the great ones.
Prime 112 is best overall for quality and ambiance. The food/service is consistently great for either lunch or dinner. That is, once you get a table. This is still a task most nights if you aren't a regular. Also, it has the highest price points of any of the Miami Steakhouses, so if you are treating someone that otherwise wouldn't shell out the dough, they will definitely be pleased. This is tops for out of towners and it is touristy, but still, it is like Joe's Stone Crabs ...if you are in South Beach, you have to eat there.
Smith & Wollensky's is very good, consistent, and has the best bartenders in South Beach. Great for locals or people from out of town. The difference here is that they the views and outside dining areas provide some of the best views in South Florida. Late Sunday afternoons outside provide a boat parade of cruise ships and more eye candy than should be allowed without a prescription.
Gotham Steak in the Fountainbleu is very very good. Great ambiance, excellent food, excellent service, and big wine list. Having said that, the Forge still has more Miami feel than the new Fountainbleu.
Captial Grille and Morton's are both great places for business lunches or dinners. The steaks are exceptional, but once inside, there is nothing Miami about them. They could very well be a dark steakhouse in Chicago or DC.
For something casual and interesting but still elegant, Novocento has terrific Argentine steaks and you can real feel Miami and the International influence. I can just about guarantee slow service, but once you accept that, the ambiance and food make it worthwhile.

·
Registered Fool
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have covered the great ones.
Prime 112 is best overall for quality and ambiance. The food/service is consistently great for either lunch or dinner. That is, once you get a table. This is still a task most nights if you aren't a regular. Also, it has the highest price points of any of the Miami Steakhouses, so if you are treating someone that otherwise wouldn't shell out the dough, they will definitely be pleased. This is tops for out of towners and it is touristy, but still, it is like Joe's Stone Crabs ...if you are in South Beach, you have to eat there.
Smith & Wollensky's is very good, consistent, and has the best bartenders in South Beach. Great for locals or people from out of town. The difference here is that they the views and outside dining areas provide some of the best views in South Florida. Late Sunday afternoons outside provide a boat parade of cruise ships and more eye candy than should be allowed without a prescription.
Gotham Steak in the Fountainbleu is very very good. Great ambiance, excellent food, excellent service, and big wine list. Having said that, the Forge still has more Miami feel than the new Fountainbleu.
Captial Grille and Morton's are both great places for business lunches or dinners. The steaks are exceptional, but once inside, there is nothing Miami about them. They could very well be a dark steakhouse in Chicago or DC.
For something casual and interesting but still elegant, Novocento has terrific Argentine steaks and you can real feel Miami and the International influence. I can just about guarantee slow service, but once you accept that, the ambiance and food make it worthwhile.

Thanks for the thorough descriptions and recommendations. Also, thanks to everyone else for suggestions. I've decided on Prime112 and S&W due to the view and/or south beach ambience. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts