Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I could find a place near Miami that looks like this:

A specific location.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Well the challenge with finding a place down near Miami that looks like that is that all of those plants are dead. Miami's tropical climate makes it difficult for trees and what not to cyclically die and reproduce.

That said, I think I can help you. If you drive about an hour north of Miami to the Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge, they have a lot of wet and dry swampland that doesn't look to dissimilar to that picture. When you decide to go there, make sure you go to the Boynton Beach entrance and not the South Palm Beach County/North Broward County entrance.

Take I-95 or the Florida Turnpike North to Atlantic Avenue in Delray Beach. Head west all the way to US 441 (SR-7), and then turn right. When heading north, an entrance from the refuge is about 3-4 miles north on the left-hand side. There'll be a large brown sign denoting its location. When there, there should be a visitor center and park rangers that could help you find what you're looking for.

If you don't mind me asking, why on Earth are you looking for a place like this?

G

·
Gumbo Limbo Center after a hurricane roars through.Go east on Palmetto park road then make a right on N Ocean Boulevard and it will be on your left.Also Lake Whyman park by going east on Palmetto Park road then make a left on N Federal Highway and keep going down until you past 5th Avenue Shoppes and make a right onto NE 24 Street, then make a right at the dead end and you will go on a trail to the park.All takes place in Boca Raton.And yes a hurricane has to pass through because I passed by there after Wilma and it looked similar to the picture above with creeks running though and dead trees.:lol:

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
You can try the Oleta River State Park in North Miami, Crandon State Park (Key Biscayne) or a drive through Cutler Bay, Pinecrest, and Palmetto Bay should please you lol.

·
Banned
218 Posts
Are you planning to film another Blair Witch Project? Can I be the unsuspecting victim who gets hacked to death? Or are you going to resurrect Jason Voorhees? Just trying to figure out the importance of this thread, and what it has to do with skyscrapers, Miami, condos, etc.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
To reiterate previous posts, Oleta SP would be okay but really you need to go North of I-10

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
The forrests that we have down here are much more dense and basically can not be walked through without a machete (virginia key, crandon park, oleta park, deering estate, matheson hammock...etc). The only forrests we have that are walkable are the pine rockland forrests around Metrozoo and various other South Dade locations.

This is Matheson Hammock during the dry season:

A Pine Rockland forrest by metrozoo:

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Also, you generally don't see creeks like that in South Florida either because the rain, rather than draining out through a creek, usually pools and drains through the porous limestone into undergound aquafers.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
The boys have pointed out some interesting spots.
If you are looking for a location shoot, and it isn't necessary that the trees be baren (that is a very tough request in the tropics), then give Jimbo's a shot.
It is a much much different look, but there are some paths through the mangroves and a stream. Also, they are very friendly to the film industry.
If you can't find what you are looking for there, at least pause for a piece of smoked Marlin and a cold Bud in a can.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you go west enough on Tamiami Trail you will find tall, dry, skinny trees (Eucalyptus trees?) that look like that. You wouldn't find a stream like that though because those trees suck all the water they can. Also there is little room between the trees...

·
Banned
107 Posts
@ Skeam

I assume you want to film a music video?? Well, at least all locals know that if you are in MIami, a good place to film a music video is Old Krome concentration camp. You can go a bit far off the place and find a similar like the one you mention.

BTW, as our fellow friends here have said, you won't find dead trees here in South Florida; I know that could be a minus if you want to film a cold and grim videoclip, but you can play with the camera settings.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Does anyone know where I could find a place near Miami that looks like this:

A specific location.
Miami might not be for you...! No deer stands, no corn feed, etc. Have you ever even been to Miami? Ever watch Burn Notice? Miami is a concrete jungle, but if you do want some trees, the Coral Gables is for you---but---it won't look much like the picture.

Hoever the Georgia suggestion was a good one. Buy my house in Lake Park GA...5 miles north of the FL stateline. Priced to sell.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
There's a canal in Matheson Hammock park that approximates the creek. Depending on the season, it might be filled with crabs though.

·
Registered Fool
2,775 Posts
What kind of film is it that you are looking for such a desolate and private location. Is it a "bom bom chika bom bom" film?

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You guys are all amazing!!! Thank you so much! These are great suggestions. I'll stake out permits for the pine rocklands and take a trip to Matheson hammock.

Keep em coming.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts