Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Xtremegamer said:
Sandips is my fav comment, very constructive!

I actually posted bbc my reaction but that wasnt uploaded (!)

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, if its valid but I cant get anything
from these quotes at all:

Joans: "Why on earth are we spending more money on new buildings"

Yeah good question Joan, about as constructive as saying why am I still f**king breathing!

You cant take any of that serious, just ashame the bbc didnt print my reaction!

·
Like 'Berg'
6,849 Posts
Nimbys, tsk at them I say, tsk..

An group of individuals whom don't want high rises, yet dont want urban sprawl... who dont want greenhouse gases, yet refuse windfarms, who want amenities, yet detest new things... god help them.

How anyone can regard a small car park more suited to a city the size of manc then a this I'll never know.. If they want to see car parks, why don't they buy a house facing Tescos... oh no, because they hate having them on their doorsteps too.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I can't beleive that someone woul've actually preferred a car park there than the Beetham tower. They disagree with the tower, but I bet they're all in favour of 219 nice detatched houses sprawling across an area of greenbelt.

·
wind-up merchant
15,971 Posts
I posted in there its under Andy,Manchester I dont know if it will come up through. Those people are stupid fools this type of thing can change a whole city and look at the boom where getting after Beetham.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Joans: "Why on earth are we spending more money on new buildings"

Not only is that comment as stupid as it sounds, but it isn't her money that is being spent but money from a Private Company investing a lot of capital in the city and creating a lot of jobs, because they believe there is the commercial demand for such buildings in the city. After all everyone complains about a shortage of housing, and then complains if that shortage is dealt with on greenfield sites, yet they don't like the solution of building high. I could understand if Manchester was Prague, littered with lots of great buildings and Beetham went against the historical nature of the city, but nice though Manchester is, I don't think anyone would argue it was anything close to that... Unbelievable. There is a place for being against skyscrapers in certain locations and under circusmtances, but this is not one of those.

·
10th February 2008
61,661 Posts
From what I can remember that is an old BBC NW web page!

I read that page when the tower was first proposed!

The one on Manchesteronline was totally different with everyone supporting the tower proposal!

I would'nt get to down hearted about the BBC site! :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
As caw says, that type of comment is so hopelessly misinformed that it can be ignored. There are, of course, some justified comments against developments of this sort, but the proper place to direct them is at the Council during the planning process. People will object to or complain about absolutely anything... for some people nothing will ever be good enough but they're never able to come up with a sensible alternative.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Talking of NW Tonight, I am currently living in Milton Keynes and moving to Manchester next month, however I often tune in to NW Tonight (on Sky 948) and get so depressed by watching it! Is that the presenter who used to do the Krypton Factor? Please, somebody put him down or shoot him and get someone a bit more cheerful! If you watch that program it seems everyone in the North West is a chav, neet or whatever, out mugging and murdering for a living.

Down here we have Look East and while its a bit cheesy with a couple presenting, at least they are always laughing and joking and always have loads of "good news" stories every night, no wonder the ratings are 4 times that of Anglia TV between 6 and 7pm.

Anyone thinking of moving to the North West and watching NW tonight would change thier minds and think of how lucky they were!

·
Mmm, Danone
2,049 Posts
How dare you say those things about Gordon Burns. He's not exactly Noel Edmonds, but he's still fabulous. He's Mr Krypton Factor, and he presents our news. The only thing better would be having Brian Blessed as news anchor.

·
Mmm, Danone
2,049 Posts
I'll be riding on the ox flavoured coat tails of MiW too. It sickens me whenever I hear the Manc twang exclaiming profoundly in the streets about Chavs. Profound for keeping up the tradition of talking about townies, but chav? Fucking chav? I'm sorry but no, this is not part of the great Northern patois, let alone Manc. Begone with your chav ways, we'll have none of that boulderdash you bloody brigadoon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts