Fax No. (+65) 632-43198​

·
Bacolod On My Mind
7,124 Posts

·
Bacolod On My Mind
7,124 Posts

ABOUT DANJUGAN

Danjugan is a small island of approximately 43 hectares, measuring approximately 1.5km long with a maximum width of 0.5km. The islands lies in the Sulu Sea adjacent to Negros Occidental (Barangay Bulata, Cauayan) in the Central Visayas region of the Philippines. It has a high relief topography with limestone hills approximately 80m in height covered in tropical forest and is surrounded by fringing coral reef, a combination of two of the most biodiverse ecosystems in the world. The total area of island and reef is approximately 200 hectares.

Danjugan has five lagoons, two of which are open to the sea and four of which have surrounding mangrove stands. The island has a broken shoreline with numerous inlets of coral rubble and coarse sandy beaches. One of the sandy beaches is a confirmed nesting site for green turtles (Chelonia mydas). There is no permanent freshwater on the island.

Danjugan is one of the few small islands in the Philippines with relatively unspoilt vegetation. This vegetation includes plants like Pandanus spp. (screw pines), Veitchia merrilii (previously only known to occur in Palawan) and the threatened Pemphis acidula. The sub-tropical rainforest is an important bird nesting and feeding site for at least 55 resident and migrant avifauna species. The small limestone caves throughout the island act as important refuges of at least six bat species.

The island is completely encircled by fringing coral reef descending to a depth of approximately 30m. Seagrass beds occur along the western and eastern margin of the island. Prior to this report very little was known concerning the physical and biological composition of the reef system surrounding Danjugan (PRRP, 1996).

WHAT TO DO IN DANJUGAN

Skin and Scuba Diving
Teeming with a rich marine life, Danjugan Island is a haven for skin and scuba divers to explore, enjoy and survey the protected reefs. Night dives from shore to the designated reef may be requested for those wishing them.

Optional ‘Safaris’ to dive explore and survey the reefs and wrecks of Southern Negros Occidental can be arranged.

USD 25* per dive. Includes tanks, weightbelts, boat.
SCUBA Equipment for Hire: USD 10 per day. The availability of stock is limited so please reserve these items well in advance of your trip.
*Concessions for travel agencies are available. Contact us for details.

Snorkelling
Enjoy unlimited shore-based snorkelling on nearby reefs.

Snorkelling Equipment for Hire: PHP 75 per day. The availability of stock is limited so please reserve these items well in advance of your trip.

Kayaking
Two (2) kayaks will be available for those wishing to paddle their way around the island to explore its biodiverse shoreline, beaches and lagoons.

Bird watching
With 72 different bird species, Danjugan Island is a bird watchers paradise. Binoculars are available for free to enthusiasts wanting to check out Danjugan's flying pets.

Morning Guided Forest Treks
Explore the ecology of the island's fragile forests and wetlands, and visit the island's limestone caves with our educational guide

danjugan island

·
Bacolod On My Mind
7,124 Posts
SIPALAY CITY - THE JEWEL OF THE SUGAR ISLAND​

·
Bacolod On My Mind
7,124 Posts
SIPALAY BEACH DESTINATIONS​

Campomanes Bay

Pulopantaw, Cayhagan

Punta Ballo Beach, Brgy. 4

Campoquino Birds Eye View

Campoquino Panoramic View

Canturay Mangroves

·
Bacolod On My Mind
7,124 Posts
IN NORTH NEGROS

Lakawon Beach Resort

·
Bacolod On My Mind
7,124 Posts
CARBIN REEF MARINE RESERVE
Sagay City, Negros Occidental
(photos courtesy by underoath, from bacolod main thread)

·
Bacolod On My Mind
7,124 Posts
SOME MORE SIPALAY BEACH PICS...

Tinagong Dagat, Sipalay

Sunset in Sipalay

Sipalay Suites

CONTACT SIPALAY HERE

·
Bacolod On My Mind
7,124 Posts

·
Bacolod On My Mind
7,124 Posts
WHY NEGROS IS CALLED THE SUGAR ISLAND

Although there was never a slave trade in the Philippines, the sugar industry here has its own unique history of exploitation, excitement, and human drama. Nowhere is that story better illustrated than in the province of Negros Occidental, located between Panay and Cebu in the Visayas.

The Spanish crews who first surveyed the island coined the term Negros Occidental because of the dark-skinned people they saw. The ethnic mix changed substantially in the intervening centuries as a result of the complex intermarriage among natives, Spanish, and Chinese. Indeed, Negrenses are known for their fair skin and mestizo traditions.

Sugar was grown as a subsistence crop long before it was exported. Nicholas Loney, a British businessman, was the first to recognize its potential as an export crop. He brought in machinery for sugar production in the 1850s. Originally based in Iloilo, rich mestizo businessmen soon migrated to nearby Negros to take advantage of the fertile land and large indio workforce. In an early form of globalization (see Globalization, Part 1 and Globalization, Part 2 ), the opening of Visayan ports (Iloilo and Cebu) and the introduction of sugar cane as a lucrative cash crop changed everything. By the 1860s, Negros Occidental was the leading sugar producing province in the Philippines, well on its way to becoming known as the "sugar bowl of the Philippines."

source

1 - 20 of 335 Posts