SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am wondering if there are any new or recently constructed buildings which are built in a historic architecture style?

I currently have a thread in the classic architecture forum which features newly constructed buildings which are built in traditional form.

Please see thread here:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1022349

I would like to have a few examples from Sri Lanka added, so please feel free to post in the above thread.

Thanks in advance!

hi,

ஒரு வரலாற்று கட்டமைப்பு பாணியில் கட்டப்பட்ட அவை எந்த புதிய அல்லது சமீபத்தில் கட்டப்பட்ட கட்டிடங்கள் உள்ளன என்று எனக்கு ஆச்சரியமாக இருக்கிறது?

நான் தற்போது பாரம்பரிய வடிவத்தில் உருவாக்கப்பட்டன புதிதாக கட்டப்பட்ட கட்டிடங்கள் இதில் சிறந்த கட்டமைப்பு மன்றத்தில் ஒரு கதை உண்டு.

இங்கே என் பார்க்கவும்:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1022349

நான் சேர்க்க இலங்கை ஒரு சில உதாரணங்கள் உண்டு விரும்புகிறேன், எனவே மேலே நூலை வெளியிட தயங்க செய்யவும்.

நன்றி!

The Temples:

Seema Malaka (1980)

Golden Temple (2001)

Independence Square (1950's)

Do these count?

Colombo City Hall (1927)

New Parliament Complex (1982)

Also, if you want to count reconstructed/renovated buildings, there are these:

Colombo National Museum (1877/1984)

Colombo Racecourse (1893/2012)

Okay? Hope you feature these in your thread! :)

You want to build a traditional house?

This material overview is of great help -
while of course local materials have to be considered, as well as weather conditions:

Source / image link

Cities and houses are made by the people. And where they build, they should consider going vernacular/traditional,
to get something that is sustainable, eco-friendly, valuable, affordable, beautiful, livable and eternal.

Agree with this - we need to stop levelling and uglyfying our cities
with bland uniform globalist-modernist architecture, that looks the same everywhere:
Most of the world's cities are not protecting anything. In fact, most of the world is going to look pretty much the same within some decades:

India, Asia:

China, Asia:

Brazil, South America:

Canada, North America:

Kenya, Africa:

Australia, Oceania:

UK, Europe:

Hell to modernism. I'll go for this all the time:

Think about it:

It's not about praising traditional architecture,
it is about living and continuing it for our own well-being. :)

With New Classical Architecture.

Classical is the base we build upon.
Something to think about for once. Just breathe it in.

"The symbolic hard currency of architecture is classical,...
It's gold in the bank. The other stuff is leveraged buy-outs and soybean futures."

- Jaquelin T. Robertson

“The thing of first importance in architecture is beauty.”
- Zivkovich-Connolly

Buildings of 10 years of Driehaus Prize winners arranged in one picture, painted 2013.
Oil on canvas by Carl Laubin. Source.

Architects, elevate our architecture further.
But always be aware where we come from and what makes a place a good place to live and stay around!

Some Hindu Temples in North America, they would be "Neo" something architecture.

Malibu Hindu Temple

This one in Toronto, it cost $40 Million to built.

Agree with this - we need to stop levelling and uglyfying our cities
with bland uniform globalist-modernist architecture, that looks the same everywhere:

Think about it:

It's not about praising traditional architecture,
it is about living and continuing it for our own well-being. :)

With New Classical Architecture.
But in Sri lanka we do not have sri lankan heritage in cities. We have British heritage

^ Me too! Are there any attempts to build Sri Lanka's vernacular architecture in the 21st century that you know of? Or architects?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.