SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
18,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Durbar Square

The literal meaning of Durbar Square is a place of palaces. There are three preserved Durbar Squares in Kathmandu valley and one unpreserved in Kirtipur. The Durbar Square of Kathmandu is located in the old city and has heritage buildings representing four kingdoms (Kantipur, Lalitpur, Bhaktapur, Kirtipur), built over centuries, the earliest being the Licchavi dynasty.

There were further additions and refurbishments during the reign of Mallas (9th century) and then the Ranas. The complex has 50 temples and is distributed in two quadrangles of the Durbar Square. The outer quadrangle has the Kasthamandap, Kumari Ghar and Shiva-Parvati Temple while the inner quadrangle has the Hanuman dhoka and the main palace.

Source

·
Sumsel Gemilang
8,006 Posts
wow nice picts hakz..i never know about Kathmandu before :)
so exotic n interesting :eek:kay:

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is a very nice city.

I was there ones, in 2006.

I like very much that old buildings near Durbar Square. Also those in Pathan and Bhaktapur are very nice.

The architecture mix in an armonic way wood (beautifull carvings), stone and bricks.

·
18,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow nice picts hakz..i never know about Kathmandu before :)
so exotic n interesting :eek:kay:
you're welcome...let's be more active not only here but in other threads as well :cheers:

·
Registered
630 Posts
great pictures!! kathmandu, especially durbar square looks so magical! i wish other asian cities preserved big areas of historical buildings in one place more

1 - 20 of 104 Posts