Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 280 Posts

·
Bike It!
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you might know, travelling is our family's common passion. And if the past year was a wine, 2017 would have been a Grand Cru. Not only we've made quite a lot of beautiful smaller trips, we also explored one of the most authentic, friendly and beautiful countries on the globe: Nepal! An old dream of us came true!

2 years after the a devastating earthquake which took thousands of lives and destroyed a lot of vital infrastructure, houses and centuries old buildings, we decided that a good way to support these poor but proud people, is to stay among them. In small, guesthouses with a warm heart, run by locals who help their fellow citizens and villagers. They run an orphanage or help farmers rebuilt their stables. Or they offer them new animals to restart a cattle.

We had to make this trip in the shorter Easter vacation, during our summer time it's moonson over there, which makes it even harder to get around. So we only had limited time for our visit, reason why we decided to stay in the fascinating Kathmandu Valley.

And we loved it! I hope you'll love it too! :)

·
Feliz pela Vida que segue
9,307 Posts
Impressive beginning for a new thread, be sure we loved!

I don't know too much about Nepal, but your thread will fill my gap of knowledge, thanks for sharing :)

·
Bike It!
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^ That's great! He'll probably knows much more about the country and people than I do.

I thank you all for your interest and comments, dear friends :cheers1: I'll try not to disappoint you.

During the final approach to Kathmandu Tribhuvan International Airport, we catch a first glimpse of the Langtang mountains, North of the city.

Kathmandu is a fast growing third world metropolis: dusty, muddy, dirty, chaotic, highly polluted... not the world's finest capital. And not our favorite. The earthquake made thinks even worse: infrastructure, houses and historic buildings were damaged or destroyed. And there's not enough money to fix and restore it. Government and authorities are corrupt, so lots of the money disappears...

Anyway, there's still a lot of beauty in and around the city. Let's have a look:

·
Registered
10,138 Posts
What an adventurous trip, Ben! :)
Phantastic pics! :eek:kay:

Is the young woman in the blue sari (or how do they call the woman's cloth
in Nepal?) a bride?

This seems to be a temple of the Goddess Kali - fascinating...
For some time in my life I was in an Internet group with other women
and we dealt intensively with magic, witchcraft, old religions and deities
from other cultures. Kali fascinated many women of the group, I think
it was the aspect of being a "strong woman". ;)
But I also know that this goddess has some very cruel aspects.

·
visit the world
8,143 Posts
A yes!! You finally went that way!! So happy you did!! :cool: :eek:kay: Nepal is just a great and beautifull country! Brings back allready great memories for me also!
So I will follow this thread for sure!!

Those first pics are allready very beautifull! :eek:kay:

1 - 20 of 280 Posts