SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4,869 Posts
lets not forget that as of 2001 Australian companies purchase more foreign companies (in dollar terms) than foreign companies takeover Australian companies. (i.e. Australia's foreign investment per year is greater than foreign ownership in Australia each year)
If we have this attitude should Australian companies be excluded from taking over international firms?
i guess we wouldnt have companies like Macquarie, Westfield, CSL, Cochlear. Rinkler, BHP Billiton, Rio Tinto, Resmed, Babcock and brown, Amcor, Multiplex, Toll, and many others (that earn almost 90% of revenue overseas) and have all grown due to international takeovers

· Registered
4,869 Posts
well foreign investment is a result of globalisation - the fact is Australia now invests approximately 30% more than what is invested in this country by foreigners - drop foreign investment the world will treat us the way we treat them - we will have zero access to emerging markets and be faced with no investment opportunties apart from a mature market (australia) capable of producing lower growth than what could be achieved in emerging markets.......... yeah great - who cares who owns assets - as long as the growth rate of overseas assets owned by Australians is greater than Australian assets owned by foreigners then we become wealther

· Registered
4,869 Posts
believe me im all for Australian owned companies - however if its not efficient and resources could more effectively be employed elsewhere then I couldnt care less.

I'm happier to see Macquarie owning airports, tollways around the world, CSL being the largest blood plasma group in the world, Westfield the largest property firm in the world and BHP Billiton being the worlds largest mining company and Asia-Pacifics largest company and many other leaders like this than have Uncle Toby's remain in Australian hands

· Registered
4,869 Posts
Cee_em_bee said:
What i'm more scared of is foreign ownership of our land. the Japanese and Chinese prominently, they've done it in the states and New Zealand as well.
The chinese are not even in the top 10 (might even be the top 20) private investors in property in the US. Get your facts right.

Also, the worlds largest property firm (Australia's Westfield) makes 70% of its profits from the US and another fact - Australian companies are the eighth largest foreign owner of US assets! I say the US better watch out for little AUS!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.