SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 1214 Posts

·
efil4oremirp
1,568 Posts
^ That wasn't the issue here, and besides our view on what a great stadium is differs a lot.

I personally think De Kuip is better than or at least equal to those three, because

A. It's football history since 1937
B. It's not an arena with a retractable roof
C. The view on the pitch is excellent from any position
D. It has great acoustics
E. It's situated right in the city and not in some lonely suburb
F. It's a real football stadium
G. Even more reasons

Sure Allianz is large and spectacular, but so grey from the inside, and I don't care much for the outside too. It doesn't look like a stadium. Then I do like Bernabeu or San Siro a lot better. Arena auf Schalke is a less spectacular copy of the Amsterdam Arena. Westfalen, still, in my opinion ugly from the inside, plain from the outside. Nothing special, except size. I have to admit that I really do like the AOL Arena. That one comes close, it only misses the history.

The UEFA probably share my opinion in a way, considering De Kuip has hosted the most UEFA finals in history. They had a total of 10. Last one being 2002 in which Feyenoord beat Dortmund!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Amsterdam Arena is a top class stadium - it's always the stadium I think of when people mention covered stadia. Rotterdam and Eindhoven look OK although more pics would be good. The rest are probably a bit too small capacity wise to get too excited about - although, I know in England some of the 15,000 - 25,000 stadia generate some madly passionate atmospheres (underdog mentality!!)

Soufian - will you shut up about Morrocco.

·
efil4oremirp
1,568 Posts
^ The Amsterdam Arena was the first in Europe to have a retractable roof like that. personally I don't like retractable roofs, and even a lot of Ajax-supporters seem to dislike their own stadium. Still, the structure itsself is nicely done, I just don't like it as a stadium.

After Feyenoord's stadium De Kuip, I like the PSV stadium second best in the Netherlands:

·
Registered
60 Posts
i really like the architecture of the Amsterdam Arena.

Has de Kuip always looked like it does now; or has it been modernized during the last years?

·
efil4oremirp
1,568 Posts
In '94 they built skyboxes and business seats :)() Also a roof was built. It became an all-seater and all the existing seats were replaced by new blue plastic ones. They removed a lot of gates and fences. Some fences were replaced by plexiglass ones. They build a concrete moat around the pitch, and they made stands behind the goals underneath the first tier.

From '37 to '94 it looked like this:

Now like this:

I kinda like the big fences with all the banners attached to 'm. I was 17 when they rebuilt the stadium, but I can still remember well the sound of barking police dogs and the smell of marihuana, urine and sausages. Now the smell of marihuana is only left. Ohhh... sweet nostalgia... :D

·
Hmm
139 Posts
carfentanyl said:
I kinda like the big fences with all the banners attached to 'm. I was 17 when they rebuilt the stadium, but I can still remember well the sound of barking police dogs and the smell of marihuana, urine and sausages. Now the smell of marihuana is only left. Ohhh... sweet nostalgia... :D
What happened to the sausages? :)

·
efil4oremirp
1,568 Posts
^ They replaced all the stands for one big caterer some years ago, the evil Ron Koebrugge! Well, since recently they sell 'Broodje Unox' which brought back the sausage into the stadium. But the stricter regulations didn't make the smell come back.

Such a shame... :D

·

AMSTERDAM ARENA

Stpid people.....to compare this stadium with Allianz Arena. This is a very decent stadium!

De Kuip, Rotterdam

PHILIPS Stadion, Eindhoven

·
Registered
4 Posts
Holland's Best Future Stadiums

Update for the newest (soccer)stadiums in Holland.

AZ Alkmaar Stadium

Will open in the soccer season 2006/2007. Looks a bit like like the stadium of Feijenoord, but then smaller. Cappacity: 13.500 visitors.

(Bron: www.zwarts.jansma.nl)

Photo of the building rightnow. (Bron: www.azfanpage.nl)

ADO Den Haag Stadium

Capabel of inviting 15.000 visitors.

SC Heerenveen Stadium - Abe Lenstra stadium

SC Heerenveen is extending their stadium for 14.400 visitors to 26.000 visitors. There will also be a new indoor sports arena and sportschool.

The old situation:

The future situation: (Bron: www.alynia-architecten.nl)

FC Groningen Stadium - Euroborg

New stadium with the capacity of 20.000 visitors. Is finished last week.

The plan:

The stadium rightnow:

·
Bekijk m'n vingers maar..
235 Posts
Nice overview Gerald182! I especially like the new stadium of FC Groningen, it will have a real English flavour with the stands real close to the pitch. Also the future stadium of SC Heerenveen will be impressive, not only because of the looks, but also because of the fact that every match will be sold out, which means 26.000 visitors, and the city of Heerenveen has only 30.000 inhabitants!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Wow, dutch stadiums are simply perfect : no megalomania, just the right capacity and always closed arenas which gives the impression that the stadium is bigger than it is actually. I wish french soccer teams (in medium-sized cities like Auxerre or in big second division and third division clubs) had the same venues !....I mean, the AZ Alkmaar Stadium is simply amazing considering the small capacity. Cities like Pau, Clermont-Ferrand, Rouen (which is now in 4th division but which really could tend to 2nd or first div.) and even Le Havre, Auxerre, Bastia, Ajaccio, Le Mans etc. deserve stadiums like these. Some of our L1 clubs have medium sized stadiums with one or two huge stands. It's the case in Metz for example and the result is : windy, cold, boring architecture...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Not Sochaux, though, or Nancy, they very much remind me of Dutch stadiums.

And don't be too hard on French venues - Nantes, Bordeaux, PSG and Monaco are some of my very favourite grounds and instantly recognisable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Djurbus said:
Nice overview Gerald182! I especially like the new stadium of FC Groningen, it will have a real English flavour with the stands real close to the pitch. Also the future stadium of SC Heerenveen will be impressive, not only because of the looks, but also because of the fact that every match will be sold out, which means 26.000 visitors, and the city of Heerenveen has only 30.000 inhabitants!
Thank you, Djurbus!
The Euroborg stadium is also one of my favorites, the crowd is almost on the field. More pictures of the stadium of Heerenveen are coming tommorow, because i'm going to take a look there.

41 - 60 of 1214 Posts