SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Banned
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Al Habtoor plans Dh2b Business Bay tower

By Shakir Husain, Staff Reporter

Dubai: UAE-based diversified business group Al Habtoor yesterday unveiled a plan to build a 100-storey tower in Business Bay, a new commercial district of Dubai.

The tower will cost Dh2 billion to build and include a boutique hotel and residential units as well as offering commercial office space, Al Habtoor group chief executive Mohammad Al Habtoor told Gulf News.

He said the project's final investment figure will be determined after the completion of design work.

"A project like this will cost around Dh2 billion. We will have the design ready in mid-2007. The project will take over three years to complete," Al Habtoor said, adding that it will be a city landmark.

"We want to build something unique. We are trying to establish something great," he said, without revealing further details.

The Business Bay tower will create 700,000 square feet of office space.

Al Habtoor is investing Dh300 million in another commercial tower in Dubai Marina.

Located opposite the Al Habtoor Grand Hotel, the 40-floor Al Habtoor Business Tower will create 230,000 square feet office space.

Explaining the rationale behind launching high-rise buildings, the Al Habtoor chief executive said: "Land is very expensive in Dubai and to get returns on investments you have to go vertical."

Al Habtoor's current big projects in Dubai include a Dh750-million tropical-themed resort on the Palm Jumeirah Island.

"We are working on the design. We are waiting for the Palm infrastructure to be completed," Al Habtoor said. The company is waiting for access to the Palm for its contractors.

"We are expecting these answers soon," Al Habtoor said.

The company also hopes to venture into Abu Dhabi's growing hospitality industry by building a luxury hotel.

"We have already approached the government. As soon as we find land in a proper area, we will start a hotel in Abu Dhabi," he said.

Foreign investment

Speaking at a press conference organised to mark the group's 35 years in business, chairman Khalaf Al Habtoor said the company was planning new investments in Britain to boost its interests there.

"We have a huge plan to expand our investment in the United Kingdom. It may not be in hospitality, but in another less-risky business," he said.

The company has initial plans to spend $500 million on buying office buildings and acquiring companies.

Al Habtoor will also use Britain as a base to enter other European markets.

·
Ashld-biggest little city
634 Posts
Could this be the centerpiece tower in Business Bay? Mid 2007 is a year away. It seems unusual to announce a tower so soon, this could mean it's extra special.

·
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!
9,583 Posts
^^ I really doubt it is since that would have been released by dubai properties. The only reason I put a pyramid shape in my 3D model is because the burj al alam guys made it that shape just for show (without knowing what design will actually be there).

Anyway, I'm not sure what to think of this tower. I'm not sure I like the concrete cutout and the colours don't really look right I think. I'm sure better renders would convince me otherwise though.

·
Watch my Chops
6,035 Posts
So say it's UC by 2008. Complete by 2011. Whoa.

Looks 500m-580m.

·
Back in the Sandpit
14,962 Posts
design will probably change.

does not look to bad though.

we heard of a habtoor tower in BB a while ago, u remember?

nice to see it is 100F.

did anyone open a thread for the Marina tower. should be somewhere next to the Royal Oceanic.

·
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!
9,583 Posts
I was wondering, why does this cost half as much as burj al alam if they're about the same height?

·
Registered
32,113 Posts
^^ I would guess becouse the design might have costed less to procure, the building easier to build and most of the contractors will be Al Habtoor's own subsidiaries.

Also keep in mind that it is just an estimate and before finalizing the design, any estimate will be way off.

·
Registered
32,113 Posts

·
Bonsai
7,299 Posts
Don't think this one is over 500. But if this is the landmark tower in BB I expect a height of 600-700 meters.

·
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!
9,583 Posts
From counting the floors on the cutout part you can definitely see this will be mighty tall. The 100th floor should be around the green mark only

1 - 20 of 84 Posts