SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Positivist
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What are some of the big or nice projects in your country that was planned and everything, but never got approved.. or never got built??

The best project i've seen for Denmark is this 150m skyscraper in Århus "Stjernecentret". Designed in 1988 by, of course, Jørn Ulzon. :cry: Damn how i wish this could have been built!
Link to picture: Here

Rigsarkivet in Ørestad: This one would have been awesome too.. :(

Bella Rica Hotel in Copenhagen: /\ same with this one

Thats all i can think of .. i dont really know any other big or nice projects that have been turned down in DK.

·
Timelord victorious
2,681 Posts
DLL_4ever said:
What are some of the big or nice projects in your country that was planned and everything, but never got approved.. or never got built??

The best project i've seen for Denmark is this 150m skyscraper in Århus "Stjernecentret". Designed in 1988 by, of course, Jørn Ulzon. :cry: Damn how i wish this could have been built!

Rigsarkivet in Ørestad: This one would have been awesome too.. :(

Bella Rica Hotel in Copenhagen: /\ same with this one

Thats all i can think of .. i dont really know any other big or nice projects that have been turned down in DK.
Det Danske hus for kunst og videnskab

http://www.emporis.com/dk/wm/bu/?id=173205

·
Resurrected User
706 Posts
Helsinki:

King Avenue, unfortunately they never built this..

Kalevala House, this one would had been very cool!

Huge highway through the Downtown - huh fortunately it was just a dream.. :)

City Center - fortunately they built just a small part of this terrible house. Nowwadays it's nick name is Makkaratalo, which means Sausage house.. :D

In the same place once stood a very beautiful old house:
http://www.hel.fi/kaumuseo/doc/lehdistokuvat/skoha.jpg

You can see more never built Helsinki projects here (it's in Finnish, but just click the images to see more)

·
Registered
298 Posts
More never build Helsinki projects:

Flatscreen, 150 meters tall office building. Was cancelled because of the recession.

KONE tower, ~100 meters tall office building. Don't know why it was cancelled, but instead of that tower, the KONE corporation built 18-storey tower to Espoo.
Itämerentori (66m) is located next to the site, where KONE building was supposed to be build.

There were also plans to build 3 (iirc) towers to Pitäjänmäki, where the SysOpen (17-storeys) is located now.

·
always on
4,815 Posts
http://www.avoin.helsinki.fi/materiaalit/taideh/virtuaali/kuvat/aleksi_suurhki2.jpg

you have no idea how similar SUur-Tallinn would have been? Eliel Saarinen did the project in 1911-1913... by the him Tallinn would be 625 000 by 2000... sadly some soviet sons of... ruined the hopes of him, me and every other estonian...

heres a pic ;) (small part)

Notice Estonian National Opera in the Right Upper corner... nuux

if the russians had not invaded... Tallinn would be a very different place.... (btw, what was the pop of Helsinki at that time?)

·
Banned
748 Posts
Church in Newtown of Vilnius. The constructions of it started before World War I. It wasn't completed and during soviet times unfinished building was made into culture palace for builders. Now there are talks that it should be finished but I doubt that it will be finished. Height of it is about 100 meters:

·
Resurrected User
706 Posts
ch1le said:
you have no idea how similar SUur-Tallinn would have been? Eliel Saarinen did the project in 1911-1913... by the him Tallinn would be 625 000 by 2000...
Wow! I didn't know about those Saarinen's Suur-Tallinn projects. Do you have any other pics? ;)

ch1le said:
(btw, what was the pop of Helsinki at that time?)
Before World War II it was approximately 100 000 (if you mean those Saarinen's Suur-Helsinki prjojects). I don't know what the population was after WW II, but then it started to raise rapidly. In 1960's architects thought it will be over one million in 2000.

I really like those Saarinen's Suur-Tallinn and Suur-Helsinki projects, it's sad that World War II ruined them in both cities. :(

Most of those 50's--> projects, like the Sausage house are terrible.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts