Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Destroyer of worlds
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was starting to lose hope with the Liverpool Bar scene. Nothing seemed to happen for a while.

the only decent thing that seemed to happen in my eyes was the development of Heebies

but over the past few months we have had quite a few gems added.

The peacock - Seel St
Chameleon - Back Colquitt Street www.chameleonbar.co.uk
Mojo - Back Berry Street

And my new favourite (even if it is in an odd location)

Badformat Social club - 3-5 Trueman Street www.badformatsocialclub.co.uk

anyone know of any other decent bars that have open up?

·
Registered
13,256 Posts
The Peacock is a very good addition.

The two more commerical clubs have been a bit of a letdown, Studio is a fantastic looking place with lots of potential but it never seems to get many people in there. Cube was just an excuse for fighting and sexual assault, terrible place, not surprised it's been shut down.

Best place in Liverpool still is Bumper.

·
Registered
13,981 Posts
I agree that Studio seems doesnt really hit teh right buttons. Saying that, people won't always like what I like, so if they can pack em in at Syudio, fair enough. I've never seen it full though. Anything is better than Streets though.

Graham is the manager of Bumper and he's dead sound.

·
Banned
15,506 Posts
Ah. Same blg as the Subway? I think for a period in the 1990s that building was the location of a bar of JMU. I got on down to the groovy sound of an indie disco in there once. Don't know why they retreated back to the Haigh building.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
yeah bumper is great, studio 2 in parr st and 3345 are also cool places just to chill out! I like djangos riff too! these places are were id prefer to go on a night out

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Mojo is decent but I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a gem.

The Peacock has got a lot busier recently, I went the other week and could hardly move downstairs but it was a warm night so we went up to the roof terrace (which I can only imagine a lot of people don't know about because it was far more spacious there).

Still never been to Chameleon even though I'm always down that end of town and have been meaning to check it out.

Bad Format I had no idea about, even though I go the Ship & Mitre now and again. Looks good.

·
Destroyer of worlds
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Badformat has only been open a few weeks, ace little venue tho

Their was a place that opend at the beginning of the year called Monochrome on Sir Thomas Street. Music Venue kinda bar thing, quite a big place, had the King Blues playing in March.

I have a feeling its now closed tho, after only 6 months

I havent seen Studio open in months. I think that place will always suffer from a bad reputation due to previous inhabitants, I was always warned to stear clear.

whenever we have people coming to liverpool to see us, it feels like we've trecked half the city trying to take them to the best places.

·
Registered
13,981 Posts
I presume Badformat is a club, not a bar, as it was closed when I went for a nosey earlier. The line up looks quite promosing actually and it might work as a club, being a destination. A bar of that ilk would struggle down that end of town, as people of that demographic tend to go to Ropewalks.

I remember when Tru first opened and was really impressed with the venue.

·
Registered
719 Posts
yeah bumper is great, studio 2 in parr st and 3345 are also cool places just to chill out! I like djangos riff too! these places are were id prefer to go on a night out
Love that place! Always make an effort to go there on a Saturday night. I always get a 'swamp thing', tastes horrid at first but it has the most delicious aftertaste!

·
Destroyer of worlds
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wasnt Modo's a Baa Bar - Urban Splash joint Venture?

Maybe Urban Splash decided to sell up, during these woeful times.

·
Banned
15,506 Posts
I've just checked out the website of the new bar. It's looks like another lowest common denominator place. Once (Rococco) Modo was brilliant. My disgust of London was total after I moved down there and found that that city didn't have any bars like it. It's long been the only bar in Concert Square you don't want to violent swerve to avoid it.

Still, another part of my youth gone. :cry: In fact, I can even remember when the Baa Bar wasn't terrible as well!

·
Destroyer of worlds
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just had a look at the website too. Pic of it, is the Unit next door to Modo's??? (formerly Arena)

Have they taken over both Units, or is Modo still there?

1 - 20 of 202 Posts