Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Sustainable Glasgow Project aims has named its latest project 'city cycle' the concept consists of various bike rental pods around the city centre similar to London, Paris and Dublin's rental schemes.

The project aims to start small and eventually expand throughout the city centre. The project is currently at its funding stage and aims to start development next year.

for more information visit http://www.sustainableglasgow.co.uk/projects.html.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
For these types of schemes to be successful (or at least to realise their potential)I'm very much of the opinion that the city needs to be flooded with the bikes instantly. Of course to do that would require big pockets. I suspect the scheme will be phased though, which would require some very careful planning.

Would be amazing to see them take off.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
I used one of these things in Berlin. It's free if you make your journey in less than 30 minutes, then it's 8p a minute after that out of your account. So I park it up at Freiderichstrasse, lock the thing up, turns out it's still charging my account and isn't registering on the machine at the station. So I try to unlock the thing, it's asking for a code that I don't know, I end up having to phone the fuckers up to sort the thing out, and as it turns out I put in absolute giberish into the machine when I registered so that I could get the bike out quickly, so I have to explain this to the (very helpful, I'll give them that) German woman on the phone, and I eventually get a code to unlock the bike with.

So after a good hour and ten minutes, I'm finally all sorted out. It took me longer to sort out the issues with parking the bike than it did to make the journey!

It would be far better if they invested such money into good cycling infrastructure for Glasgow!

Or perhaps it's just me, and these schemes are actually not bad.. Who knows?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts