SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone see the new trains and line on ten news? Looked good.

The new trains look pretty cool, reminded me of those new Vic ones, maybe the same model even?

And of course, the line is being extended and fully doubled.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
The trains are based on the B series EMU sets recently delivered to Perth. Both of the sets (for QR and TransPerth) are manufactured at Maryborough in Queensland.

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers, looked good, and they had a pretty nice paint job on them.

·
Registered
659 Posts
The GC Line is pretty much like any other CityTrain line in peak, I've seen worse "Bombay Express" crowding on CityRail (Sydney), Melbourne and on other lines in Brisbane during peak hour. It's just some of the commuters down the coast that whinge the loudest and dont realise they are getting all the upgrades.

Furthermore, 16+ new IMU (Interurban Multiple Unit) trains, the off-peak frequencies isnt going to change much, with only peak-hour getting extra GC services.

But at least the units are also being used on the Brisbane-Nambour run as well, which is replacing the EMUs heading out that way.

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,560 Posts
too bad their good looks will be destroyed within days by graffiti fuckwits. QR doesnt do enough to keep the appearance of trains, stations and everywhere in between up to scratch

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Arnzy said:
The GC Line is pretty much like any other CityTrain line in peak, I've seen worse "Bombay Express" crowding on CityRail (Sydney), Melbourne and on other lines in Brisbane during peak hour. It's just some of the commuters down the coast that whinge the loudest and dont realise they are getting all the upgrades.
Ok, you do realise that the Gold Coast is extremely poorly served by CityTrain. The GC line runs about half the length of the city, and it only serves the Hinterland strip. Frequencies are limited to 30 minutes because it's only single track from Helensvale to Robina. And besides, the Gold Coast should have more comfortable trains because not only are we serving the tourists going on the AirTrain, but also the trip to the Gold Coast is very long. It's almost an hour just to Coomera (Used to be much worse before all GC trains were express to Beenleigh). And also, if CityTrain was presented as a better option than driving up the freeway, the patronage could skyrocket. Seriously. Most people hate driving to Brisbane but do simply due to a lack of a better option.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Toadman said:
Ok, you do realise that the Gold Coast is extremely poorly served by CityTrain. The GC line runs about half the length of the city, and it only serves the Hinterland strip. Frequencies are limited to 30 minutes because it's only single track from Helensvale to Robina. And besides, the Gold Coast should have more comfortable trains because not only are we serving the tourists going on the AirTrain, but also the trip to the Gold Coast is very long. It's almost an hour just to Coomera (Used to be much worse before all GC trains were express to Beenleigh). And also, if CityTrain was presented as a better option than driving up the freeway, the patronage could skyrocket. Seriously. Most people hate driving to Brisbane but do simply due to a lack of a better option.
The Gold Coast is one of the BEST served lines of the CityTrain network (behind Ipswich/Corinda's 15 min off-peak frequency). Also the trip down the GC is only over a hour, which is pretty much a similar time to a Ipswich or Caboolture all-stopper. Furthermore, I hope the GC commuters do realise they are getting a lot the upgrades (ie Reedy Creek extension, Robina duplication, Kuraby triplication, etc) + extra peak-hour trains.

If you want a line that is EXTREMELY POORLY served by CityTrain, have a look at the Nambour/Gympie/Sunshine Coast hinterland line. Much longer travel times, has to suffer having SUBURBAN trains for many services on a interurban line, Single track with loops north of Caboolture, and having to share with freight and long distance traffic and as a consequence has to put on extra bus services to supplement the limited train services in the off-peak.
The Nambour/Gympie line has only 30 mins frequency during peak-hour with full-trains (just like the other lines in peak).

At least the re-alignment/duplication north of Caboolture to Landsborough is approved to serve another fast growing area.. But not before 2009-2012.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
^But you have to take into consideration, the Gold Coast's entire population of 500,000 people is served by 1 train line with 5 stations. Wow. So very impressive. Seriously, almost every service has to be a 6 car train. And besides, it's not uncommon for the trip down to the Gold Coast to take longer than an hour, particularly after major events in Brisbane. One time it took me an hour and a half STANDING just to get to Coomera.

But anyway, what the hell is with all these extensions taking so bloody long. The Reedy Creek extension isn't planned to be completed before 2011.

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,560 Posts
Toadman said:
sorry but boohoo. the gc line has more SMU services than any other line and it takes an hour to get to caboolture, ipswich and cleveland as well. the gc has the best stations in all of qld with the most parking. and i know that the GC has 500,000 ppl but honestly only a small % of gc ppl actually travel to brisbane compared with 1000's more in brisbane travelling into the cbd.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
So we bloody well should have SMU services. It's a longer distance, therefore we should have faster trains to minimise the time in order to make train travel actually competitive with the M1. And also, you have to prioritise where to put them. Keep in mind that the Gold Coast Line continues onto the AirTrain. Now I highly doubt that many tourists will be going to Ipswich, Rosewood or Ferny Grove(just as examples) soYes we do have good stations--The GC line is only a decade old! Yes, our stations have lots of parking, and we bloody well need it. THE RAILWAY STATIONS ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF FLOOD PLAINS!!!!! NO ONE LIVES NEAR THEM!!! And actually there are a bloody lot of people who travel from the GC to Brisbane and if you look at the Southbound traffic(morning peak) or the northbound traffic(afternoon peak), or if you were on those trains, you would notice that these days, there's a lot of people who are living in Brisbane and working on the Gold Coast. And yes, you would expect a greater percentage of Brisbanites working in the Brisbane CBD. IT'S THE BRISBANE CBD. Generally denotes where the workers would be coming from. And that also might explain the existance of the Caboolture line, Ferny Grove Line, Shorncliffe Line, Doomben Line, Cleveland Line, Beenleigh Line and the Ipswich Line.

Edit: Coomera isn't in a flood plain

·
Registered
659 Posts
Toadman said:
So we bloody well should have SMU services. It's a longer distance, therefore we should have faster trains to minimise the time in order to make train travel actually competitive with the M1.
The Sunshine Coast Line is a much longer distance than the Gold Coast. Furthermore, its another 20-25mins bus/drive to the Sunshine Coast since the major stations (Beerwah, Landsborough, Nambour, etc) is out in the hinterland.

Toadman said:
And also, you have to prioritise where to put them. Keep in mind that the Gold Coast Line continues onto the AirTrain. Now I highly doubt that many tourists will be going to Ipswich, Rosewood or Ferny Grove(just as examples) soYes we do have good stations--The GC line is only a decade old!
Whats your point?, the GC's off-peak loads is just like any other line on the QR CityTrain network (despite the Airtrain, etc)... It only justifies a 30 min off-peak, and a 15 min peak-hr service just like most other lines.

Toadman said:
Yes, our stations have lots of parking, and we bloody well need it. THE RAILWAY STATIONS ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF FLOOD PLAINS!!!!! NO ONE LIVES NEAR THEM!!! And actually there are a bloody lot of people who travel from the GC to Brisbane and if you look at the Southbound traffic(morning peak) or the northbound traffic(afternoon peak) or if you were on those trains, you would notice that these days, there's a lot of people who are living in Brisbane and working on the Gold Coast.
The same can be said for many commuters coming from Ipswich, Gympie, Sunshine Coast (another popular tourist area, but half the population of GC), Toowoomba (which has no rail services).. yet the traffic out to those area that is pretty bad, which can be argued due to a lack of federal funding.

Have you ever experienced peak-hour on CityRail in Sydney?, especially on their long distance lines... You'll find its much worse than the "bombay express" here.

And yes, you would expect a greater percentage of Brisbanites working in the Brisbane CBD. IT'S THE BRISBANE CBD. Generally denotes where the workers would be coming from. And that also might explain the existance of the Caboolture line, Ferny Grove Line, Shorncliffe Line, Doomben Line, Cleveland Line, Beenleigh Line and the Ipswich Line.

Edit: Coomera isn't in a flood plain
Many people from greater brisbane and south east queensland (thats the south in Coolangatta, to west of Toowoomba, up to Noosa in the Sunshine Coast, and everything in between) in general commute to Brisbane to work, since thats where most jobs are. It pretty much explains why the suburban lines have been around much longer and had good patronage well before the Gold Coast Line was built.

[EDIT: Fix quote tags].

·
6,435 Posts
I'd never heard it called the Bombay Express before? Found an article about crowding on GC trains (from the Sunday Mail would you believe it!) - see here

:lol: >>

I remember I went to get a train to Landsborough once, only to find out it was actually a RailBus. I felt cheated. If I go to catch a train I expect a bloody train! Something needs to be done about that, what a joke (not saying it should be at the expense of GC upgrades though).

·
Registered
659 Posts
Oriolus said:
I remember I went to get a train to Landsborough once, only to find out it was actually a RailBus. I felt cheated. If I go to catch a train I expect a bloody train! Something needs to be done about that, what a joke (not saying it should be at the expense of GC upgrades though).
Unfortunately, due to the main railway line north of Caboolture being single track with loops and Interurban trains having to share with bloody long distance and freight traffic, off-peak trains to Nambour/Gympie are pretty limited. As a consequence, railbuses were introduced to make it a "hourly frequency" of trains 'and buses' from Nambour. The "Sunshine Coast" timetables do state which services are trains, and which are rail-buses however.

Peak hour is half-hourly express trains to Nambour (with the daily Gympie North service). Unfortunately if you're travelling counter-peak (opposing direction to peak-hour), trains do get hold up in crossing loops, and additional rail-buses also run as well (but a much longer travel time).

Fortunately, something is being done about that, which is the Caboolture to Landsborough duplication and re-alignment, but thats not completed before 2012. The Sunshine Coast Line branching from Beerwah to Maroochydore doesnt come untill 2026!

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Arnzy said:
The Sunshine Coast Line is a much longer distance than the Gold Coast. Furthermore, its another 20-25mins bus/drive to the Sunshine Coast since the major stations (Beerwah, Landsborough, Nambour, etc) is out in the hinterland.
Um yeah, the Gold Coast's stations are out in the hinterland, a 20 minute bus ride from Broadbeach to Nerang or Robina. 30 minutes from Coolangatta to Robina. 25 minutes from Southport to Helensvale. What's your point? Yeah, it's longer. How crowed is it before Caboolture?

Whats your point?, the GC's off-peak loads is just like any other line on the QR CityTrain network (despite the Airtrain, etc)... It only justifies a 30 min off-peak, and a 15 min peak-hr service just like most other lines.
Yeah, we should have a 30min Off-peak and 15min Peak service. But we don't we have 30min for the majority of the day and a couple of 1 hr frequencies here and there. We should have at least 30min frequencies all day. The line is that popular. People WANT to catch a train to Brisbane, but they can't because it's simply not comfortable because there aren't any seats and there's barely even any standing room. Makes driving a much more attractive option when the worst traffic on the M1 is around the Springwood area. The majority of the rest of the motorway is fabulous.

The same can be said for many commuters coming from Ipswich, Gympie, Sunshine Coast (another popular tourist area, but half the population of GC), Toowoomba (which has no rail services).. yet the traffic out to those area that is pretty bad, which can be argued due to a lack of federal funding.

Have you ever experienced peak-hour on CityRail in Sydney?, especially on their long distance lines... You'll find its much worse than the "bombay express" here.
My point was that it isn't really suburban rail to the Gold Coast as in you have a station in each suburb. Not like it is for example on the Beenleigh, Cleveland, Ipswich, Ferny Grove and Caboolture lines. We have 5 stations. One of which is in the middle of nowhere(Infact, i wouldn't even know how to get to it by car), but the rest are every few suburbs down part of the backbone of the Gold Coast that is the M1. 5 stations for 500,000 people. If Brisbane went by this ratio, It would have no more than 20 stations. Not just that, but the Gold Coast is much more spread out than Brisbane. Not saying that's a good thing, just the truth.

Many people from greater brisbane and south east queensland (thats the south in Coolangatta, to west of Toowoomba, up to Noosa in the Sunshine Coast, and everything in between) in general commute to Brisbane to work, since thats where most jobs are. It pretty much explains why the suburban lines have been around much longer and had good patronage well before the Gold Coast Line was built.
Yeah, they may have been around for longer, why should that mean that they get prioritised funding and upgrades over the Gold Coast Line, which has greater demand. Also, you have to take into account the people are commuting within the Gold Coast using the Gold Coast line. Coomera-Robina for example. There is a lot of people who commute within the Gold Coast or even to the Gold Coast from Brisbane. So the Gold Coast line is highly patronised in both directions.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Toadman said:
Um yeah, the Gold Coast's stations are out in the hinterland, a 20 minute bus ride from Broadbeach to Nerang or Robina. 30 minutes from Coolangatta to Robina. 25 minutes from Southport to Helensvale. What's your point? Yeah, it's longer. How crowed is it before Caboolture?
Fully seated by the time it gets to Caboolture, it leaves with Standees after Caboolture. This in peak-hour btw, Caboolture is my home station.

Yeah, we should have a 30min Off-peak and 15min Peak service. But we don't we have 30min for the majority of the day and a couple of 1 hr frequencies here and there. We should have at least 30min frequencies all day. The line is that popular. People WANT to catch a train to Brisbane, but they can't because it's simply not comfortable because there aren't any seats and there's barely even any standing room. Makes driving a much more attractive option when the worst traffic on the M1 is around the Springwood area. The majority of the rest of the motorway is fabulous.
Umm... you guys have a 30 min frequency all day till 7:30pm. Then its hourly after 7:30pm in the late evening when not much people take the train at those times (not suprisingly).

I'd say the GC Line has a better level of service than some crowded 3-car off-peak weekday services on the Cleveland line, or even the Caboolture line as far as Petrie in the shoulder peaks, ie first morning off-peak train or the late afternoon before peak. (Petrie could do with a 15min off-peak service imo)..

My point was that it isn't really suburban rail to the Gold Coast as in you have a station in each suburb. Not like it is for example on the Beenleigh, Cleveland, Ipswich, Ferny Grove and Caboolture lines. We have 5 stations. One of which is in the middle of nowhere(Infact, i wouldn't even know how to get to it by car), but the rest are every few suburbs down part of the backbone of the Gold Coast that is the M1. 5 stations for 500,000 people. If Brisbane went by this ratio, It would have no more than 20 stations. Not just that, but the Gold Coast is much more spread out than Brisbane. Not saying that's a good thing, just the truth.
I'll agree with that, but still the areas near Coomera is growing from my last visit down there. Then again, that also applies to the Sunshine Coast Line beyond Caboolture with their share of empty stations (ie Beerburrum, Eudlo).. some minor ones (Elimbah, Woombye, Palmwoods), and the major interchanges/areas (ie Beerwah, Glasshouse, Landsborough, Nambour)

Yeah, they may have been around for longer, why should that mean that they get prioritised funding and upgrades over the Gold Coast Line, which has greater demand. Also, you have to take into account the people are commuting within the Gold Coast using the Gold Coast line. Coomera-Robina for example. There is a lot of people who commute within the Gold Coast or even to the Gold Coast from Brisbane. So the Gold Coast line is highly patronised in both directions.
Sorry, but I cant see why the Gold Coast be any different from any other lines, they have a 30 min service in the off-peak like the other lines, about to get an upgrade to 15 mins in peak (fair enough, I agree with that), and has the best level of service out of all lines.

I've been on those the train in peak hour at least once or twice in the past few months and out of those limited times I've been on them, I'd have to say its just like any other crowded peak-hour train on say the Ipswich or Caboolture lines. Also its no-where near the sardine cans experienced on CityRail in Sydney, or Connex in Melbourne.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts